PDA

View Full Version : Sickels on Honel

hold2dibber
09-13-2002, 11:14 AM
ESPN's minor league expert has good things to say about Kris Honel (but not good things to say about the Sox' (Sox's?) practice of over-hyping their minor league pitchers:

Sickels on Honel (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/downonthefarm/1430983.html)

Chisox_cali
09-13-2002, 09:56 PM
has an evil curveball, and knows what to do with it

Heh Heh Heh Sweeeeeet :D:

Randar68
09-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Heh Heh Heh Sweeeeeet :D:

It's a knuckle-curve, very similar to Mussina's.

Daver
09-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
It's a knuckle-curve, very similar to Mussina's.

Honel can make his knuckle curve break both ways,Mussina has nothing on him.

hold2dibber
09-14-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by daver

It takes all's I got's to maintain my composure, so as I don't get all goofy about Honel's potential to be a no. 1 or 2 starter for the Sox.

Daver - I know he grew up in the s.w. suburbs and that you have seen him play quite a bit -- was he a Sox fan coming up or was he one of those evil flubs fanatics?

kermittheefrog
09-14-2002, 06:50 AM

I think you should probably wait until Honel is pushing 200 career wins to say something like that.

dougs78
09-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Honel sounds great and all, but I really have a hard time getting excited about him yet. He has to still be 1-3 years from teh bigs and that is an awful lot of time to get injured. The history of high school pitchers as first round picks is littered with lots of flash and not much major league substance. So with that in mind I don't feel that we should even "expect" Honel to make the major leagues, let alone be a #1 starter.

RichH55
09-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Well the kid definately has the arm, I just hope he has the head to go along with it

RichH55
09-14-2002, 05:50 PM
BTW, did Sickels say he was playing in the Sally League? LMAO.......Im amused by the small stuff

Daver
09-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well the kid definately has the arm, I just hope he has the head to go along with it

He does,his work ethic is second to none.

RichH55
09-14-2002, 05:59 PM
He does,his work ethic is second to none.

Not what I meant Daver, but how do you know his work ethic is 2nd to none? Not saying you are wrong just wondering where you heard it from?

Daver
09-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Not what I meant Daver, but how do you know his work ethic is 2nd to none? Not saying you are wrong just wondering where you heard it from?

I watched every game he pitched in HS

RichH55
09-14-2002, 07:28 PM
I watched every game he pitched in HS

Fair enough, but I always assumed that work ethic was attributed to essentially off the field stuff...spending extra time watching film, spending extra time in the weight room, not engaging in risky off-field activities.........I have no doubt he brings everything when he pitches, but that would make him a gamer rather than anything you could attribute to "work ethic".......perhaps Im just arguing semantics here, but I thought you might have good sources who would have raved about Honel's off the field habits....I havent heard that myself, so I was hoping you would set me straight

Daver
09-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Fair enough, but I always assumed that work ethic was attributed to essentially off the field stuff...spending extra time watching film, spending extra time in the weight room, not engaging in risky off-field activities.........I have no doubt he brings everything when he pitches, but that would make him a gamer rather than anything you could attribute to "work ethic".......perhaps Im just arguing semantics here, but I thought you might have good sources who would have raved about Honel's off the field habits....I havent heard that myself, so I was hoping you would set me straight

I talked to his coach and his dad,he spent the winters throwing in his basement and working on his mechanics,his dad was a pitching coach at one time,which is why Kris does not throw a slider,his dad forbid it because of the arm problems it causes,it is also why he throws a knuckle curve as opposed to a conventional one,as a knuckle curve is easier on the shoulder and the elbow.

They don't do a lot of film work at the HS level,mainly because they do not have the budget to send someone to film the other team,they go by scouting reports done by volunteers,Kris worked over those regularly,and it seemed to work,since I once saw him strike out 22 batters while throwing a one hitter.

RichH55
09-14-2002, 08:08 PM
I talked to his coach and his dad,he spent the winters throwing in his basement and working on his mechanics,his dad was a pitching coach at one time,which is why Kris does not throw a slider,his dad forbid it because of the arm problems it causes,it is also why he throws a knuckle curve as opposed to a conventional one,as a knuckle curve is easier on the shoulder and the elbow.

They don't do a lot of film work at the HS level,mainly because they do not have the budget to send someone to film the other team,they go by scouting reports done by volunteers,Kris worked over those regularly,and it seemed to work,since I once saw him strike out 22 batters while throwing a one hitter.

Well see now that is what I wanted to hear:)

kermittheefrog
09-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Honel sounds great and all, but I really have a hard time getting excited about him yet. He has to still be 1-3 years from teh bigs and that is an awful lot of time to get injured. The history of high school pitchers as first round picks is littered with lots of flash and not much major league substance. So with that in mind I don't feel that we should even "expect" Honel to make the major leagues, let alone be a #1 starter.

That is the intelligent call but Honel may be the best pitcher in the low minors. You can't help but get excited about a guy like that. He's already beaten the initial hurdle of low-A ball. A lot of HS pitchers don't make it that far. The single most important thing with Honel is him staying healthy.