PDA

View Full Version : The Angels

doublem23
09-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Is anyone watching them?

My God, they are a baseball-playing machine.

MarkEdward
09-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Is anyone watching them?

I still can't stand their fans. They actually started the wave in the bottom of the fourth.

WinningUgly!
09-12-2002, 12:08 AM
Is anyone watching them?

And they've got that Rally Monkey thing going for them too. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2002, 01:13 AM
Disney is trying to sell them, along with the Mighty Ducks. Maybe they ought to do a two-fer packaged deal offer, with a mouse to be named later.

FWIW, I've always considered the Angels one of the worse-managed franchises in sports. Any ideas who else makes that list?

:reinsy
{whistling}

kermittheefrog
09-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Disney is trying to sell them, along with the Mighty Ducks. Maybe they ought to do a two-fer packaged deal offer, with a mouse to be named later.

FWIW, I've always considered the Angels one of the worse-managed franchises in sports. Any ideas who else makes that list?

{whistling}

Dare I say the Tampa Bay Devil Rays?

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 08:05 AM
Despite their ownership and despite the fact that they play in So. Cal (with my apologies to the fine so. cal. Sox fans on this board), I can't help but root for this Angels team. Talk about a club that understands "team concept," that plays hard all the time, every play.

whitesoxwilkes
09-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Despite their ownership and despite the fact that they play in So. Cal (with my apologies to the fine so. cal. Sox fans on this board), I can't help but root for this Angels team. Talk about a club that understands "team concept," that plays hard all the time, every play.

So does Oakland...they're going to be my bandwagon team for the playoffs I guess.

voodoochile
09-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
So does Oakland...they're going to be my bandwagon team for the playoffs I guess.

I'm rooting for the Yankees. They got sooooo jobbed last year...

Probably root for the Cardinals. I like Larussa and I hate the flubbies. Can't bring myself to root for any of the AL teams anyway...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes

I always root for Oakland. They are the team that proves Jerry Reinsdorf such a liar over and over again.

1.) Second banana team in a market smaller than Chicago,
2.) No Diamond Suite revenue to speak of,
3.) Crappy old ballpark in a "bad" neighborhood. (i.e. white people feel unsafe),
4.) Multiple pennants BEFORE free agency when the players were paid like serfs.
5.) Mulitple pennants AFTER free agency when the players are paid like multi-millionaires.

"Yes, but Oakland doesn't have the problem of having too many fish living close to their ballpark. Oh, wait... hold on a minute."

"Okay here is my NEW story! Until the taxpayers of Illinois and Michigan build a trans-lake bridge from 35th Street to Benton Harbor, it will be impossible for the Sox to compete with the other teams in the league."

voodoochile
09-12-2002, 08:45 AM
I always root for Oakland. They are the team that proves Jerry Reinsdorf such a liar over and over again.

1.) Second banana team in a market smaller than Chicago,
2.) No Diamond Suite revenue to speak of,
3.) Crappy old ballpark in a "bad" neighborhood. (i.e. white people feel unsafe),
4.) Multiple pennants BEFORE free agency when the players were paid like serfs.
5.) Mulitple pennants AFTER free agency when the players are paid like multi-millionaires.

"Yes, but Oakland doesn't have the problem of having too many fish living close to their ballpark. Oh, wait... hold on a minute."

"Okay here is my NEW story! Until the taxpayers of Illinois and Michigan build a trans-lake bridge from 35th Street to Benton Harbor, it will be impossible for the Sox to compete with the other teams in the league."

Why does it feel like he is trying to sell US a bridge every year?

Excellent points about the A's, but I still can't root for them after the way they kept our boys down in the early 90's. Though truth, the A's were the first team I ever rooted for back in the early 70's and then I had a brief fling with the flubbies before settling in with our boys. Some of the things that JR does makes me wonder if I made the right choice in ever leaving the A's. No worries, I have no doubts that as bad as we are the flubbies will always be worse, so I would never consider rooting for them again...

harwar
09-12-2002, 09:19 AM
As a result of the piss-poor play of my beloved White Sox and the sorry state of todays' baseball,i've been forced at times to become a Free Agent Fan.This year is one of those times.As a Free Agent Fan,on those years when the Sox are out of it,i always try to pick a team as early as i can and root for them to go all the way.I've been doing this for years and last year was the first time(the diamondbacks)that i succeeded.This year i picked the angels around the allstar break.I'm really into the oakland-angels series,its like a playoff series.As for oakland,i've never seen ray-ray so damn happy,and i feel that they are the team to beat,but i'm kind of tired of having miguel tejada shoved in my face every 5 minutes.GO ANGELS!

Procol Harum
09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Yeah, ya gotta like the cut of the Angels' gib, and not to mention the sight of Ray Durham playing all this fantastic, clutch baseball for Oakland after being such a frustrating goof all these years is really galling--I hate the thought of him in the 2002 World Series.

Besides, the Angels owe the Sox--they should vote the boys a World Series share should they win it all after all the help the Sox gave them in keeping them afloat in the first half of the season.

Procol Harum
09-12-2002, 10:08 AM

LOL!!! :D:

Paulwny
09-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
the sight of Ray Durham playing all this fantastic, clutch baseball for Oakland after being such a frustrating goof all these years is really galling--I hate the thought of him in the 2002 World Series.

The 2nd best 2nd baseman in the al is strickly a dh with the A's.
I won't be surprised to see Ray back with the sox next year. The sox may be the only team offering him $3-4 mil per yr.

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The 2nd best 2nd baseman in the al is strickly a dh with the A's.
I won't be surprised to see Ray back with the sox next year. The sox may be the only team offering him $3-4 mil per yr.

That should have been in deeppink - there's no chance the Sox will offer Ray $3-4 million per year when they have Jimenez and Harris available who will make about $300,00 per year. For cripsakes, JR has debt service to worry about, after all!!!

And Ray's value on the open market this off season may depend, in large part, upon his performance in the post season. If he really cranks it up, he'll get his share of offers. (I still think he'll end up with the Dodgers).

Paulwny
09-12-2002, 10:55 AM
That should have been in deeppink - there's no chance the Sox will offer Ray $3-4 million per year when they have Jimenez and Harris available who will make about $300,00 per year. For cripsakes, JR has debt service to worry about, after all!!!

And Ray's value on the open market this off season may depend, in large part, upon his performance in the post season. If he really cranks it up, he'll get his share of offers. (I still think he'll end up with the Dodgers).

Ray said he'd be asking for $8 mil, it didn't take the A's long to see Ray was a dh. $8 mil for Ray is a waste of money.
I think Harris needs another year in AAA.
I think KW may try to trade Jose for a starting pitcher, Jimenez moves to short, opening up 2nd base.
I hope it doesn't occur, I haven't been a Ray fan for the last 3 yrs, that's why I didn't use deep pink. I should have used teal for the "2nd best 2nd baseman in tha al".

duke of dorwood
09-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Just think if the Angels went thru with the Erstadt for Garland trade. This post wouldnt be here

DVG
09-12-2002, 12:08 PM
The Angels and A's are the two West Coast franchises that I root
for. They are both like the White Sox in that they play second fiddle to the two more glamorous franchises.

If I have to pick one to root for this year, it would be the Angels.
I was rooting for them in the 1986 playoffs and was absolutely
stunned when Dave Henderson hit that game 5 homer. The
image of Gene Autry standing in his box, rooting for the final out
that came one batter too late, haunts me still.

That Game 5 is a situation that I can totally see happening to the White Sox. In fact, given how team history has gone, I still am
shocked when I think about Vic Power grounding into that
double play in 1959. How is it that he didn't hit a game-ending
grand slam that enabled the Indians to overtake them? It's a
mystery.

As for Oakland, they have won a few World Series, the last in
1989. The Angels have won none. So I'm for them.

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Ray said he'd be asking for $8 mil, it didn't take the A's long to see Ray was a dh. $8 mil for Ray is a waste of money.
I think Harris needs another year in AAA.
I think KW may try to trade Jose for a starting pitcher, Jimenez moves to short, opening up 2nd base.
I hope it doesn't occur, I haven't been a Ray fan for the last 3 yrs, that's why I didn't use deep pink. I should have used teal for the "2nd best 2nd baseman in tha al".

Even if they do trade Jose, I still don't see them offering Ray (or any other free agent) a $3-4 mm per year deal. They'd more likely stick Willie at 2B and D'Ang at SS and see what happens. And I think if he trades for a starting pitcher, it'll be Lee that goes, not Jose.

Procol Harum
09-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I should have used teal for the "2nd best 2nd baseman in tha al".

Whewww!! You had me scared there for a second--I was afraid that you had undergone some sort of breakdown, Paul. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Even if they do trade Jose, I still don't see them offering Ray (or any other free agent) a $3-4 mm per year deal. They'd more likely stick Willie at 2B and D'Ang at SS and see what happens. And I think if he trades for a starting pitcher, it'll be Lee that goes, not Jose.

I agree. Jose wouldn't bring any kind of pitcher in trade. If Carlos keeps getting on base, he's the one who could bring something of value.

Of course even if KW manages to deal for a pitcher, the guy will work for cheap because that is all Reinsdorf is willing to pay.

"If we had more fans at the ballpark, we could afford a good team, but no."

:KW
"That's right, boss! It's not our fault."

:boston
"This team is BRILLIANTLY marketed!"

:gallas
"Flying Elvis Dog Day, half-priced the day of the game with a carton of Marlboros bought at participating White Hen Pantry convenience stores!"

Chisox353014
09-12-2002, 02:58 PM
I've thought all year that the Angels were the best team the Sox faced this season. Of course it's hard to say, considering the way all the good teams spanked us around this season. :(:

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 04:58 PM

:gallas
"Flying Elvis Dog Day, half-priced the day of the game with a carton of Marlboros bought at participating White Hen Pantry convenience stores!"

*****! That may be the funniest thing I've ever seen posted here (and I've seen a lot of funny things posted here).

Foulke You
09-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
I've thought all year that the Angels were the best team the Sox faced this season. Of course it's hard to say, considering the way all the good teams spanked us around this season. :(:

I agree the Angels are the best team we've faced. The Angels are chewing through a lot of teams like a buzzsaw and I pick them to win the AL West and in my eyes have the best chance of knocking of the Yankees. Good starting pitching, a solid bullpen, Percival is a great closer, great clutch hitting, scrappy players like Eckstein, and a team oriented game make them a team I wouldn't want to face in the playoffs.

I took a little abuse earlier in the year saying the Angels could be a dark horse team in the west this year. However, I was pointing out that they spent their money wisely on pitching (Aaron Sele, and Kevin Appier). The only question mark for them was hitting and they've shown they can do that.

I'm also very happy to see the Mariners fading. I couldn't take another post season with their annoying fans. Too many bad memories from 2000.

Iwritecode
09-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'm also very happy to see the Mariners fading. I couldn't take another post season with their annoying fans. Too many bad memories from 2000.

There was another thread around here somewhere talking about the 2000 Sox being a fluke. If you ask me, I think that last year's M's were more of a fluke. They won 116 games, then didn't even make it to the WS. Then this year, it doesn't even look like they will make it to the post-season. At least the last team to win 116 games went to the WS. (Although they lost to a team nicknamed the "hitless wonders". :D: They made up for it by winning the WS the next year though...

doublem23
09-13-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Oh God, I still vividly remember that god damn bunt single by Guillen in the 9th.

There are only a couple of other times in my life when I felt THAT heartbroken. I know for sure it was probably my worst Sox-related memory.

Paulwny
09-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
If you ask me, I think that last year's M's were more of a fluke. They won 116 games, then didn't even make it to the WS. Then this year, it doesn't even look like they will make it to the post-season. ..

Pinella doesn't look like a "genius" this year.

Paulwny
09-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Oh God, I still vividly remember that god damn bunt single by Guillen in the 9th.

There are only a couple of other times in my life when I felt THAT heartbroken. I know for sure it was probably my worst Sox-related memory.

Ah youth, don't worry many more bad memories on the horizon.

WinningUgly!
09-13-2002, 10:34 AM

No he doesn't, but he did in the 2000 playoffs against us. Sure made JM look like a fool. :D:

voodoochile
09-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
No he doesn't, but he did in the 2000 playoffs against us. Sure made JM look like a fool. :D:

This alone is not proof of amazing intellect... Name something hard...

WinningUgly!
09-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
This alone is not proof of amazing intellect... Name something hard...

Ya got me there. :D:

hold2dibber
09-13-2002, 10:50 AM

Actually, I think Pinella is doing a hell of a job. That team is still on pace to win about 93 games despite the fact that they don't have a great rotation, their bullpen is thinner than it has been in the past, Olerud and Suzuki are the only guys on the entire team that are having a good year offensively (Martinez has been hurt, Cameron has been awful, Boone has been sub-par, Cirillo has been a disaster, Sierra is average at best, etc., etc.) and they have no bench whatsoever. It was a miracle that they won 116 last year (I still don't understand how they did it) but it is also surprising to me that they're going to win 92 or 93 games this year.

Paulwny
09-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Actually, I think Pinella is doing a hell of a job. That team is still on pace to win about 93 games despite the fact that they don't have a great rotation, their bullpen is thinner than it has been in the past, Olerud and Suzuki are the only guys on the entire team that are having a good year offensively (Martinez has been hurt, Cameron has been awful, Boone has been sub-par, Cirillo has been a disaster, Sierra is average at best, etc., etc.) and they have no bench whatsoever. It was a miracle that they won 116 last year (I still don't understand how they did it) but it is also surprising to me that they're going to win 92 or 93 games this year.

I will always believe that the players make the managers reputation.
Casey Stengel was a genius with the yankmees in the 50's then a buffoon when he managed the mets. Joe Torre was considered the worst manager in bb when he was with the cards, now a genius with the yankmees.
A manager is only as good as his players. Some managers may be able to get their player to hustle more and play fundamental baseball.
Managerial decisions may cause more loses then wins. JM is a perfect example with all his tinkering.

kermittheefrog
09-13-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
There was another thread around here somewhere talking about the 2000 Sox being a fluke. If you ask me, I think that last year's M's were more of a fluke. They won 116 games, then didn't even make it to the WS. Then this year, it doesn't even look like they will make it to the post-season. At least the last team to win 116 games went to the WS. (Although they lost to a team nicknamed the "hitless wonders". :D: They made up for it by winning the WS the next year though...

Yeah but when the last team that won 116 games did it, having the best record in your league put you in the World Series. In one way you could look at the Mariners as being more successful since they won a playoff series when the Cubs won none.