PDA

View Full Version : Next year's rotation

balboner
09-10-2002, 09:06 PM
As Gary Glover continues to suck as a starter, let's look at what the rotation should be in order to produce a contending team next year:

- Buehrle
- Foulke
- FA?
- Garland
- Wright

Everyone knows that Ritchie will be involved somehow in this, and Glover should be back to the bench. Maybe Rauch will regain some of his velocity. In terms of Foulke, with the way his WHIP has always been, I think he'd be a good starter for 6 innings.

guillen4life13
09-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by balboner
As Gary Glover continues to suck as a starter, let's look at what the rotation should be in order to produce a contending team next year:

- Buehrle
- Foulke
- FA?
- Garland
- Wright

Everyone knows that Ritchie will be involved somehow in this, and Glover should be back to the bench. Maybe Rauch will regain some of his velocity. In terms of Foulke, with the way his WHIP has always been, I think he'd be a good starter for 6 innings.

foulke closes, period (ideally). Rauch is probably going to get into the rotation, and I think that Rocky also deserves that chance.

Tragg
09-10-2002, 11:13 PM

- Buehrle
- Foulke
- FA?
- Garland
- Wright

Then might I suggest that Kenny Manuel give Foulke a start or two between now ad then?

BuehrleACE56
09-10-2002, 11:17 PM
if kieth foulke is starting, you're not on your way to contention in any league.

doublem23
09-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Then might I suggest that Kenny Manuel give Foulke a start or two between now ad then?

That would make too much sense, Tragg.

OfficerKarkovice
09-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
if kieth foulke is starting, you're not on your way to contention in any league.

what do you think Boston had to say about Derek Lowe prior to this season?

BuehrleACE56
09-10-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

touche officer. :D:

harwar
09-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Lowe was in the same spot last year(all f#cked up) as Foulke is right now.I mean they were ready to release the guy in frustration.However;Lowe has that devastating sinker to get ground balls just about whenever he wants.I'm not sure Keiths' 90 mph fastball and his 2 changeups are enough.Maybe he can develop a split-finger or screwball.If hes' going to go thru line-ups more than one time,i think he needs another pitch,and a damn good one. GO SOX in 2003!!!

hold2dibber
09-11-2002, 09:35 AM
As Gary Glover continues to suck as a starter, let's look at what the rotation should be in order to produce a contending team next year :

- Buehrle
- Foulke
- FA?
- Garland
- Wright

That rotation is not going to produce a contending team next year unless Garland and Wright both step it up several notches. The rotation next year will most likely be:

Buehrle
Garland
Ritchie
Wright

And the fifth starter will be whichever amongst the following has the best ST:

Rauch
Biddle
Glover
Parque (if he's still here)

I'm more convinced then ever that they're going to trade Foulke in the off season - they're clearly grooming Marte to be the closer and they're not giving Foulke any starts to see how he responds to that role. I can't imagine they'll keep him as a $6 million mop up man. Very sad.

WinningUgly!
09-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That rotation is not going to produce a contending team next year unless Garland and Wright both step it up several notches. The rotation next year will most likely be:

Buehrle
Garland
Ritchie
Wright

And the fifth starter will be whichever amongst the following has the best ST:

Forget about Ritchie, he's gone.

FarmerAndy
09-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Next year's rotation?

No matter how we shuffle this deck, it's gonna be bad.

RichH55
09-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I wouldn't say that quite yet.....Im betting he gets next season to prove himself

hold2dibber
09-11-2002, 12:45 PM

I can't see KW giving up on him yet -- to do so would be to admit that the trade was an abysmal mistake, and I don't think KW is willing to do that.

Jerry_Manuel
09-11-2002, 12:47 PM

Williams already said he's in the plans for next year.

Iwritecode
09-11-2002, 01:39 PM
I can't see KW giving up on him yet -- to do so would be to admit that the trade was an abysmal mistake, and I don't think KW is willing to do that.

The key word in that sentence is YET. If Ritchie sucks next year as bad as he did this year, then KW MIGHT give up on him. Hey, he finally admitted that picking up Royce was a mistake by releasing him right? Baby steps...

On the other hand I think Ritchie should get a little more time to prove himself. He pitched decently the last half of last year and the first month or 2 of this year. He took a lot of hard-luck losses. (Mostly due to the fact that the offense would blow their load the day before when Burly pitched.) After that he started having arm problems. Coming back under Cooper instead of Nardi may help too.

RichH55
09-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The key word in that sentence is YET. If Ritchie sucks next year as bad as he did this year, then KW MIGHT give up on him. Hey, he finally admitted that picking up Royce was a mistake by releasing him right? Baby steps...

On the other hand I think Ritchie should get a little more time to prove himself. He pitched decently the last half of last year and the first month or 2 of this year. He took a lot of hard-luck losses. (Mostly due to the fact that the offense would blow their load the day before when Burly pitched.) After that he started having arm problems. Coming back under Cooper instead of Nardi may help too.

Im working under the assumption that he cant posibly be as bad as this year.......I actually expect a 13-10 year for him next year, but then again I fall into the optimist camp

WinningUgly!
09-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Isn't Ritchie a FA at season's end?:?:

Jerry_Manuel
09-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Isn't Ritchie a FA at season's end?:?:

I'm pretty sure he's arbitration eligible, as I said before Williams has said he's back for next year.

WinningUgly!
09-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I'm pretty sure he's arbitration eligible, as I said before Williams has said he's back for next year.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Williams won't be involved in the plans next year.

Daver
09-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and Williams won't be involved in the plans next year.

We definately need to come up with a pipedream color........

MarkEdward
09-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Im working under the assumption that he cant posibly be as bad as this year.......I actually expect a 13-10 year for him next year, but then again I fall into the optimist camp

I don't think Ritchie had a "hard-luck season." He just plain sucked. It wasn't the fault of the offense, defense, nor the bullpen- Todd was bad. I don't see why anyone is optimistic for him next year. He never was very good, he never will be very good.

FarmerAndy
09-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
, as I said before Williams has said he's back for next year.

"O.K. I'll put some cedar chips in the dumpster for him to sleep on."

doublem23
09-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
We definately need to come up with a pipedream color........

I think coral would work.

But I shouldn't overextent my boundaries... I came up with the now, site-wide used, sarcasm color. :)

voodoochile
09-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I think coral would work.

But I shouldn't overextent my boundaries... I came up with the now, site-wide used, sarcasm color. :)

OOOOOOOOOOO... Who's a bigshot now?

Personally I think the pipe dream color should be: deeppink

hold2dibber
09-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I don't think Ritchie had a "hard-luck season." He just plain sucked. It wasn't the fault of the offense, defense, nor the bullpen- Todd was bad. I don't see why anyone is optimistic for him next year. He never was very good, he never will be very good.

It's true that Ritchie hasn't had a "hard luck season" but he did have a "hard luck first 2 months". Over his first nine starts, Ritchie did not give up more than 3 ERs in any start and had an ERA after those first nine starts of 3.32. Yet his record was only 3-4 because he had received truly horrible run support from the offense. Of course, since that time he has been an absolute nightmare, plain and simple.

And while it may be true that Ritchie has never, in the past, been "very good" he has in the past been decent. I still don't understand why or how he went from a guy who has always in the past been decent and who was actually pretty damn good for the first month and half of this season, to a guy who absolutely sucked for the rest of the year. I think that's why I do not think it is at all unreasonable to think that Ritchie can again be a decent pitcher; I don't think anyone in their right mind would predict a Cy Young caliber season, but if Ritchie can be about .500 with an ERA between 4.00 and 4.60 or so, he'd be a useful guy at the back of the rotation. (Of course, the Sox have a boatload of "back of the rotation" type guys - what they need is at least one, and probably two, more "front of the rotation" type guys). On the other hand, the same argument could have been made about Jamie Navarro after his first year w/the Sox and, as we all know, Navarro never did regain his pre-Sox form. The same may be true for Ritchie, who knows.

Rocklive99
09-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Do you think Malone will be ready? I'm guessing they're going to call him up soon?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Can I vote purple for pipe dream ?

doublem23
09-11-2002, 05:28 PM

LOL! I don't have much too toot my horn about, but I've got that, dammit!

Paulwny
09-11-2002, 06:07 PM

And while it may be true that Ritchie has never, in the past, been "very good" he has in the past been decent. I still don't understand why or how he went from a guy who has always in the past been decent and who was actually pretty damn good for the first month and half of this season, to a guy who absolutely sucked for the rest of the year

Pressure?
The 1st time he was expected to be a winner, later pressure to justify the trade.

Daver
09-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Can I vote purple for pipe dream ?

That would conflict with the unofficial

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Color.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2002, 10:18 PM
I still don't understand why or how he went from a guy who has always in the past been decent and who was actually pretty damn good for the first month and half of this season, to a guy who absolutely sucked for the rest of the year.

Simple...it's Hal Vickery's law in action!

Lip

MarkEdward
09-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
"O.K. I'll put some cedar chips in the dumpster for him to sleep on."

Woohoo! SeaLab 2021 rules!

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I still don't understand why or how he went from a guy who has always in the past been decent and who was actually pretty damn good for the first month and half of this season, to a guy who absolutely sucked for the rest of the year.

Simple...it's Hal Vickery's law in action!

Lip

Of course!!! LOL

hold2dibber
09-12-2002, 08:09 AM

I cast my vote for deeppink, too. It jumps off the screen and screams out that the writer is in la la land. Watch this:

Maybe JR will fire KW and JM and bring in management personnel who actually know how to run a team.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-12-2002, 08:24 AM
I cast my vote for deeppink, too. It jumps off the screen and screams out that the writer is in la la land. Watch this:

Maybe JR will fire KW and JM and bring in management personnel who actually know how to run a team.

Well, I admit, you've got a good point there.

Teal = sarcasm

DeepPink= pipe dream

BTW, I was told that color was fuschia. But I'm a guy, so what do I know? I stick with the eight colors that came in my first box of Crayolas.

:D:

voodoochile
09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Well, I admit, you've got a good point there.

Teal = sarcasm

DeepPink= pipe dream

BTW, I was told that color was fuschia. But I'm a guy, so what do I know? I stick with the eight colors that came in my first box of Crayolas.

Wow, so this will lead to celebrity status and I will become rich and famous and starlets will flock to me and soon I will have so much money that I will buy the Sox and make JR into permanent aisle garbage picker. Of course the Sox will win a World Championship the first year I own them because I will be loved by one and all and they will never ever want to disappoint me...

:messica
I think voodoo is incredibly sexy and smart, and to think it all started with that deeppink thing...

:britney
"Voodoo, you make me hot and sweaty. Now I'm going to rip my top off..."

:reese
"Get away from him you biatches. He's mine... mine... mine... mine..."

Take that, doub...