PDA

View Full Version : No Respect For Slezak

34 Inch Stick
09-10-2002, 10:05 AM
I have zero respect for the opinions that this woman puts out. Usually I can drift over her crap because it is so insignificant (I only got as far as the picture on that brilliant piece about her drive to Champaign yesterday).

Today she writes about the job Royce did. She points out that his defense was great (debatable, but he was O.K.). However, she pretends that his sub .200 average at the beginning of each season was insignificant. Since he ended each season well, his hitting should be accepted.

I wonder if she will be writing the same article about Fred McGriff tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Normally I agree with you.

In the past I've told Carol that her comments, particularly ripping Sox fans for not showing up in 2000, were wrong but in this case I think her overall theme is correct.

In fact that only plan the Sox have is to spend as little money as possible and HOPE they can win something.

Just look at history....

They're now in their 4th rebuilding program since 1986

They spent a lot of money trying to win in 1997, but less then six months after signing Albert Belle, they threw in the towel with the "White Flag Trade."

In the early 90's they used to go out and sign productive veteran players, everyone from Ellis Burks and Julio Franco to Kevin Tapani and Scott Sanderson. Now that's become an exception rather then the rule. (Kenny Williams has tried to get veterans but ALL of them had serious issues surrounding them, i.e. David Wells, Royce Clayton...)

Ron Scheuler never traded his prize prospects, Kenny Williams trades all of them.

The Sox philosophy seems to bounce around more then a ping pong ball. It isn't helped with inexperienced field and general managers and an owner who puts more restraints on his front office then perhaps anyone else in baseball.

So in this case I have to give Carol some kudos on her story, we may disagree over certain points but the broad context is correct in my opinion.

Lip

FarmerAndy
09-10-2002, 01:53 PM
I just went out on lunch and picked up a Sun Times, which makes me feel dirty, so I could read the column.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is here. She pretty much hit the nail on the head. This team has no direction.

jlh221fan
09-10-2002, 03:25 PM
You're dead right about this weak column. There is more to defense than # of errors. And, as you say, she completely disregards his horrible starts at the plate both seasons.

34 Inch Stick
09-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Lip, your message was a better written defense of the rudderless theory than her story (that is a complement to your writing). Ordinarily, when making an argument, the arguer presents his best evidence first. A defense of Royce Clayton's hitting and overall presence is hardly her best argument (I think we can all agree about that). It weakens the entire argument to use a an example that is questionable at best.

The Sun Times should always put her and Mariotti on the same page so I can quickly skip every day.

By the way I always get a laugh that a female reporter is named Slezak. Its like a lawyer being named Bill Theif.

Dadawg_77
09-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I just went out on lunch and picked up a Sun Times, which makes me feel dirty, so I could read the column.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is here. She pretty much hit the nail on the head. This team has no direction.

Hey, this might allow you to feel less dirty, not putting money into their pockets directly, www.suntimes.com.

But Carol is right that the Sox lack direction but why raise that point in defence of Cleatless Clayton?

FarmerAndy
09-10-2002, 05:18 PM
I think folks are missing the point of the column. It's not an article meant to praise Royce. He's just one example of how this team lacks direction. Whether you a hate Royce, or whether you love Royce, the point is clear.

Not reading anything second hand here. At SoxFest I was in the audience and heard Kenny and Jerry both say that Royce was going to be the shortstop because they wanted a solid glove at the position. They also said that any offensive production would just be a bonus, because we have a huge offensive lineup that can make up for it. Then what happens? Royce is deemed a failure because of his bat.

The point in this isn't to argue about whether or not Royce Clayton is a good ballplayer or not. The point is that Kenny says one thing and does another. I don't believe that Carol Sezlak was trying as much to defend Royce, she was just using Royce as an example that what Kenny says and what Kenny does are two different things.

I think she was dead on in calling out KW on some of this stuff. Kenny made numerous statements about the importance of good pitching and strong defense when he first took over. We have neither. He continues to field a team of DH's.

Dan H
09-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I have had issues with Slezak in the past. Many of her columns are rah-rah and simplistic. However, this one is right on the mark. Leadership is a big problem with the Sox. Sox fans have to be wondering if anyone in the front office has the ability to bring a championship franchise to the South Side. We were lectured about the great trades of 1997, that the players traded haven't done anything since leaving. But over five years later, the Sox are really no closer to a World Series caliber team than when they dumped the veterans. Real leadership would have taken real action. Manuel and Williams should have been fired two months ago. The fact that they are still here shows that the ownership either doesn't care or has no clue. Maybe both.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
....Manuel and Williams should have been fired two months ago. The fact that they are still here shows that the ownership either doesn't care or has no clue. Maybe both.

I agree with you here. The shortcomings of Reinsdorf as an owner are simply incomparable. The signing of Carlton Fisk is probably the last true effort he ever made to put a champion team on the field. That was 21 years ago.

Please spare me the defense of signing Albert Belle to a $55 million contract. He made that deal for a hitter when the team's overwhelming need was pitching. I have great suspicions his true motive was simply to stick it in the ear (or some other orifice) of his fellow owners who were about to cave in to the players after the 1994-95 strike. He pulled the plug on his team less than 7 months later, and let Belle walk 14 months after that. Is that the mark of somebody serious about fielding a champion? LET'S GET REAL!

I'm of the opinion letting Williams and Manuel go solves nothing. With Reinsdorf still in place, we're probably still doomed forever. He'll simply hire more incompetents to take their place.

:(:

DVG
09-11-2002, 04:05 PM
I agree with the column, as well. The team seems to have no direction. It was also a relief to read a column in which some-
one offered up an opinion without blasting the players, fans,
ballpark and anything else.

:moron

Don't bother me now. I'm at the Holy Wrigley Temple, dabbing my
eyes with kleenex over this perfect creation of God.