PDA

View Full Version : Hal's New Column

Lip Man 1
09-08-2002, 11:48 PM
Tremendous thoughts from Hal Vickery on the Sox attendance woes.

I never thought of that connection before but it makes a lot of sense.

My question for Hal is, if this is the problem, what do the Sox do about it? (Besides fire that moron Rob Gallas...)

Lip

doublem23
09-09-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

My question for Hal is, if this is the problem, what do the Sox do about it? (Besides fire that moron Rob Gallas...)

Not to speak on Hal's behalf, but I think the best solution starts with a "w" and ends win an "in."

Or is that too obvious?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2002, 12:34 AM
It's worth noting that 3 of the 4 Chicago minor league teams (Geneva, Crestwood, and Joliet) draw their fans from areas traditionally populated with lots of Sox fans. This includes Kane County (Geneva) that draws over a half-million all by themselves.

Those Sox kid's day promotions don't seem like nearly such a bargain once you compare the total cost to attending a minor league game.

FWIW, my kids definitely prefer going to Comiskey. It's big, there are lots of people, and they've seen it on TV which makes it cool to see in person. Minor league games don't have the same excitement for them.

You know, if the Sox moved to Addison, their strategy would have worked great. In fact, I doubt these minor league teams would be having even half as much success. But with more suburban sprawl building tract homes clear out to Rockford and DeKalb, fighting 2+ hours of urban traffic simply to travel practically into the lake gets further from reality for more and more Chicagoans.

Of course the Sox don't play in Addison, which only emphasizes what dopes are running the Sox marketing department.

:gallas
"Oh, that hurts!"

TornLabrum
09-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all for your gracious comments and your own insights.

One thing I didn't mention but has been a recurring theme in both my columns and those by others here, is that the Sox have done trmendous damage to their relationship with their fan base.

This is not going to be cured by marketing to a group who can be entertained more cheaply, and often more entertainingly by minor league clubs. It is, as doublem mentioned only going to be cured by a sustained period, i.e. several years of the Sox winning.

I'm of the firm belief that Sox attendance in 2001 could have been a whole lot better if the club had not fallen apart for the first two months of the season. There was a significant increase in season tickets sold, which they managed to fritter away most of by their utter collapse in spring 2001. They managed to fold again this year just before school got out, just at the time when Sox fans with kids (the very people they are marketing to) are deciding where they want to go watch a ball game.

After the late May-August collapse this year, Sox attendance was still up slightly, although I'm willing to bet that's not the case right now (but I haven't seen the figures).

I was at two Cougars games this year where the announced attendance was over 15,000. I was at a couple of Sox games where the announced attendance was less. I really don't think this is a coincidence.