PDA

View Full Version : Sox Interested In BJ's Felipe Lopez...

DrCrawdad
09-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Full article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/columns/20020908/insidedishbiddingformats.html)

"The Blue Jays, committed to Chris Woodward at shortstop, are likely to trade SS prospect Felipe Lopez for pitching. The Orioles, White Sox, Braves and Padres are among the teams that likely would show interest. Lopez, 22, remains an intriguing player, a switch hitter likely to hit for power. . . ."

KW, please hold off for a little while trading away anymore pitching.

LongDistanceFan
09-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Full article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/columns/20020908/insidedishbiddingformats.html)

"The Blue Jays, committed to Chris Woodward at shortstop, are likely to trade SS prospect Felipe Lopez for pitching. The Orioles, White Sox, Braves and Padres are among the teams that likely would show interest. Lopez, 22, remains an intriguing player, a switch hitter likely to hit for power. . . ."

as i said in the middle of the season, this guy was available according to BA when he was reassign to the minors.

BuehrleACE56
09-08-2002, 10:25 PM
if we do trade for him, i'll be nervous as to who KW would give up for him.

"Jon Garland, Jon Rauch, Ed Almonte, and Joe Borchard for Lopez. why not throw in Jose Valentin to free up playing time at short. Want us to pay their salaries too?"

Chisox_cali
09-09-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Geez, let's just add another person in the logjam in the infield.

Jerry_Manuel
09-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Geez, let's just add another person in the logjam in the infield.

You have to understand how this works.

See, they think the Sox need a 'future' SS, so they threw the Sox in there.

Example: Crede is on the last year of his deal, and someone young prospect is on the block, all of the sudden the Sox might want that guy.

FarmerAndy
09-09-2002, 02:28 PM
What's wrong with the Sox looking at a shortstop prospect? It's a need. Valentin will be gone after next season, and we don't have a sure thing to fill the position yet.

The only thing I'd worry about is over-paying for him, as Kenny is known to do that.

rmusacch
09-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
What's wrong with the Sox looking at a shortstop prospect? It's a need. Valentin will be gone after next season, and we don't have a sure thing to fill the position yet.

The only thing I'd worry about is over-paying for him, as Kenny is known to do that.

I think he already acquired his shortstop of the future in D'Angelo Jimenez.

Dadawg_77
09-09-2002, 03:47 PM
If Kenny can get Lopez for cheap, he should go for it. Yeah there is a logjam at middle if but hopefully one or two of these guys will stand out. Right now the Sox don't have a sure fire solution at SS, so maybe give Lopez a test drive this spring training if he comes cheap enough.

FarmerAndy
09-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If Kenny can get Lopez for cheap, he should go for it. Yeah there is a logjam at middle if but hopefully one or two of these guys will stand out. Right now the Sox don't have a sure fire solution at SS, so maybe give Lopez a test drive this spring training if he comes cheap enough.

Right on, Dadawg_99. The fact that there is a logjam in the middle infield isn't exactly a problem when most of the players in that logjam aren't proven yet. It gives us more options if somebody doesn't pan out. I like Jimenez, and I hope he succeeds and becomes our SS in 2003 and beyond. But we don't know if he's gonna cut it. Or perhaps he can cut it, but Willie Harris can't. In that case, Jimenez might be a better fit a 2nd. Who knows? But it's good to have options.

The only time a logjam is bad is when it consist of proven major leaguers, and a sure-fire prospect.

Example:

Logjam of Crede, Perry, Valentin, Clayton = BAD LOGJAM

Logjam of Jimenez, Valentin, Lopez, Harris = NOT SUCH A BAD LOGJAM GOING INTO SPRING TRAINING. Gives us options.

Jerry_Manuel
09-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Logjam of Jimenez, Valentin, Lopez, Harris = NOT SUCH A BAD LOGJAM GOING INTO SPRING TRAINING. Gives us options.

Options = tinerking.

People here don't like that.

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 04:35 PM
I don't want KW talking to a smart GM like JP Ricciardi.

Paulwny
09-09-2002, 05:31 PM
The Jay's are looking for an inexpensive veteran starting pitcher. We have Ritchie to offer, I don't think the Jays will be interested.

Chisox_cali
09-09-2002, 06:10 PM

I believe you're forgetting about a man named Mr. Hummel. If the Sox traded for Lopez that would be 5 guys for 2 spots. And I just know whoever doesn't make it will be gone, by a bone-head KW trade, and will wind up tearing it up where ever they go. Yet again making KW look like an idiot.

RichH55
09-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I believe you're forgetting about a man named Mr. Hummel. If the Sox traded for Lopez that would be 5 guys for 2 spots. And I just know whoever doesn't make it will be gone, by a bone-head KW trade, and will wind up tearing it up where ever they go. Yet again making KW look like an idiot.

Well depending on how much it would cost for Lopez and how the guys we keep perform for us, even if a guy we deal goes on to bigger and better things, it wouldnt neccesarily kill us like other moves could.........working from depth is generally a good thing

Dadawg_77
09-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Options = tinerking.

People here don't like that.

There is a time and place for everything. This and spring training is the time for tinkering. People are still mad over the fact JM was tinkering when we should of making our push for the Central crown.

Jerry_Manuel
09-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
People are still mad over the fact JM was tinkering when we should of making our push for the Central crown.

That's why I don't like people.

He's not alone in making the lineups, and the itself isn't that good. His "tinkering" is not why the Twins are real good this season.

Iwritecode
09-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
That's why I don't like people.

He's not alone in making the lineups, and the itself isn't that good. His "tinkering" is not why the Twins are real good this season.

No, the fact that they play in the weakest division in baseball is why the Twins are real good this year. I'm sure if they had to play the A's, M's and Angels all year instead of the Royals, Tigers, Indians and Sox we would see a different team...

OfficerKarkovice
09-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
No, the fact that they play in the weakest division in baseball is why the Twins are real good this year. I'm sure if they had to play the A's, M's and Angels all year instead of the Royals, Tigers, Indians and Sox we would see a different team...

But what does that say about the Sox then?

Iwritecode
09-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
But what does that say about the Sox then?

That the division was ripe for the taking and they blew it...

Randar68
09-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That the division was ripe for the taking and they blew it...

The words lazy, unmotivated, heartless, and complacent also come to mind.

Iwritecode
09-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The words lazy, unmotivated, heartless, and complacent also come to mind.

Yea, and that's just the owner...