PDA

View Full Version : Q of the night...

Joel Perez
09-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Ladies and gentlemen...let's get the party started:

Frank Thomas...will he or won't he be here next year?

1B Konerko
2B Harris
SS Jimenez
3B Crede
LF Borchard
CF Rowand
RF Ordonez
DH Lee/Liefer
C Paul/Johnson

What do you think?

doublem23
09-08-2002, 07:23 PM
Frank should be here, but I'm willing to bet he won't.

:reinsy
Ten million dollars? For a baseball player? Not on my watch.

:hurt
I am so not wearing a Sox hat when I get inducted to the Hall of Fame.

:burly
I look much better in red, anyway.

Iguana775
09-08-2002, 08:09 PM
i'll take the current frank over liefer any day.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i'll take the current frank over liefer any day.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they gave Liefer his unconditional release this winter. The Sox have no plans for him, and his trade value is virtually nil.

Daver
09-08-2002, 08:15 PM
If I never see Jeff Liefer in a Sox uni again I would be happy.

OfficerKarkovice
09-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
If I never see Jeff Liefer in a Sox uni again I would be happy.

Amen to that... :gulp:

Kilroy
09-08-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

This is a no brainer. Thomas will be on the Sox next year for two reasons.

1. I don't believe Reinsy will invoke the DSC...this year. One more year like this one and he will no doubt.
2. If he did invoke it, Thomas wouldn't find a deal that would be worth taking instead of the deferred money.

Add to that, the signs that Thomas is starting to regain his form and its a slam dunk. The 2k Frank is a steal at 10 mil, and if he gets back there, there's nothing Reinsdorf loves more than a bargain.

Thomas will be here.

Jerry_Manuel
09-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Add to that, the signs that Thomas is starting to regain his form and its a slam dunk. The 2k Frank is a steal at 10 mil, and if he gets back there, there's nothing Reinsdorf loves more than a bargain.

Thomas will be here.

In 2000 he hit real well, and the team won the division. Even if he has another big year next season they won't win the division.

He's a steal at 10 million on a good team. On a bad team (Sox) with a self-imposed salary cap (Sox) it doesn't look pretty.

BuehrleACE56
09-08-2002, 09:19 PM
If Liefer and Thomas are gone next year and Borchard/Lee split time between DH and LF, as well as Rowand starting in center field, then i will be happy.

Daver
09-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
If Liefer and Thomas are gone next year and Borchard/Lee split time between DH and LF, as well as Rowand starting in center field, then i will be happy.

If I never see Rowand in a Sox Uni again it is fine with me,stick Borchard out there and let him learn on the job.

duke of dorwood
09-08-2002, 09:35 PM
He will be here with reduced salary and Lee will be gone with his 4 mil. Money makes every decision.

Soxheads
09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
If I never see Rowand in a Sox Uni again it is fine with me,stick Borchard out there and let him learn on the job.

100% agree with you.

doublem23
09-08-2002, 10:23 PM

Egg-zactly

BuehrleACE56
09-08-2002, 10:27 PM
why are you three always done on rowand? since playing regularly the kid has been really good. he hustles in the field and on the bases, he plays outfield well, and he does well at the plate when given the at-bats. if jer would give him the job and a set place in the lineup, i think you all would be pleasantly surprised. why don't you like him?

hold2dibber
09-09-2002, 07:47 AM

1B Konerko
2B Harris
SS Jimenez
3B Crede
LF Borchard
CF Rowand
RF Ordonez
DH Lee/Liefer
C Paul/Johnson

What do you think?

They'd be lucky to win 75 games. Keep Frank and Jose, lose Liefer and pick up a good starting CF (with Rowand as 4th OF), and the team could win somewhere in the range of 85 to 88, which could win the division.

ChiSoxBobette
09-09-2002, 01:10 PM

1B Konerko
2B Harris
SS Jimenez
3B Crede
LF Borchard
CF Rowand
RF Ordonez
DH Lee/Liefer
C Paul/Johnson

What do you think?
I think Thomas will be here at least through spring training.I do think though that 1b Konerko,2b Harris,SS Jimenez,& 3B Crede is the starting infield next year. I would like to see Borchard play in more games this year though especially if he's our LF/CF of the future. Also one minor leaguer I'd like to see come up just to get some expirence in the majors is Olivio(think thats how you spell his name -the catcher for the Barrons)
Go White Sox

voodoochile
09-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I think Frank should be back and I think he will be back no matter what. I don't expect JR to invoke the whole clause, but he might do something like negotiate more deferred money into the contract: Frank gets $3.5 million a year with the rest of the money deferred unless he meets certain statistical requirements in 2003 in which case the clause is dropped entirely and the original contract becomes valid in full. It allows both sides to save face and gives Frank an incentive to have a moster year. This isn't entirely an either or situation and you just hope JR sees it...

voodoochile
09-09-2002, 01:56 PM
One other thing.

Maybe JR thinks the fans don't care whether he invokes the clause. He hears the boos at the park and he sees the writing in the newspapers. Does he know that the majority of the fans want to see Frank back next year and the clause dropped?

I would bet no. So since the majority of the posters on this board think Frank should be back, I propose a letter writing campaign. I submit the following link and hope everyone who feels either way about Frank's contract to write a letter and tell the Sox what they want. Maybe the Sox Army can make it's presence felt one more time. Probably not, but what can it hurt to try? I'm using my WSI e-mail address to send my letter, and hope others who have that benefit will do the same.

fanfeedback@whitesox.mlb.com

voodoochile
09-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Dear Mr. Reinsdorf,
I am a life long Sox fan and have been a season ticket holder in the past. I attend several games a year every year and was even at game one of the playoffs in 2000.

I am writing on behalf of Frank Thomas. I have enjoyed watching Frank Thomas in a Sox uniform for his entire career. I have marveled at his amazing offensive show the likes of which have never been seen before in a Sox uniform and rarely in the history of baseball. He is a hall of famer and a credit to the uniform. I know he has struggled this year and was out all of last year. I also realize there are some who feel his offensive decline in 1998 and 1999 show he is losing his ability to be the same player he was in the mid 90's. There is much talk in the press that you will invoke the Diminished Skills Clause in his contract this season. Some fans are booing him unmercifully at the park.

I don't know if you realize how many of us there are who want Frank Thomas back in a Sox uniform next year and until his career is over. I don't know that you hear the silent majority who have no wish to ever see Frank Thomas leave the team. I cannot expect to control your decision merely to let you know that there are many of us who feel Frank deserves at least one more year to prove he can be the player he was before and was as recently as 2000 after which he suffered a major injury early the following year. Please don't make a hasty decision on the greatest player to every wear a Sox uniform and chase him out of town prematurely. He is one of the greats and deserves every chance to prove himself to the team and the fans.

Thank You
Jim Laffer
AKA VoodooChile, whitesoxinteractive.com

Cheryl
09-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Good idea, Voo.

BuehrleACE56
09-09-2002, 03:07 PM
you want to spend that money on thomas? we could get someone to DH for much cheaper with probably as good of numbers as Thomas. That money could be better spent elsewhere. (i.e. Buehrle, Konerko, Ordonez)

doublem23
09-09-2002, 03:14 PM
you want to spend that money on thomas? we could get someone to DH for much cheaper with probably as good of numbers as Thomas. That money could be better spent elsewhere. (i.e. Buehrle, Konerko, Ordonez)

If Thomas hits like he's capable of, he's a STEAL at $10 million.

OfficerKarkovice
09-09-2002, 03:20 PM

I think some of you guys need to jump back into reality here...who and the hell do you think you are going to get that will put up numbers that Frank will? If he returns to anywhere close to what he was in 2000, like Doublem said, he is a steal at $10 mil. Someone suggested we pay him 3.5 a year and defer the rest...do you realize the type of players that are making 3.5 a year...just remember, Mr. Clayton was pulling in 4+ mil per year.

voodoochile
09-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I think some of you guys need to jump back into reality here...who and the hell do you think you are going to get that will put up numbers that Frank will? If he returns to anywhere close to what he was in 2000, like Doublem said, he is a steal at $10 mil. Someone suggested we pay him 3.5 a year and defer the rest...do you realize the type of players that are making 3.5 a year...just remember, Mr. Clayton was pulling in 4+ mil per year.

I was offering it as a compromise. The DSC brings the base down to $250K/year which is less than minimum. Frank would lose a ton of face if it went all the way down. Maybe he would be okay if he was paid 3-4 million a year and still had the rest deferred (this would allow JR to save about $3M/year currently and still allow Frank to be paid enough where he doesn't have to worry about whether his next paycheck will cover his mortgage. Yeah, I know Frank can afford to live on $250K/year, but why should anyone expect him to be happy with it even if they would be themselves.

Just was hoping that JR would consider compromising on the issue and suggesting a good way where they both could save some face and yet JR could "make his statement about control", still save money and yet not lose the greatest player in team history to FA or spite...

bc2k
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Before Frank's at bats, the PA should blare Bruce's "Glory Days."