PDA

View Full Version : Why has everyone given up on Willie Harris?

HawkDJ
09-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Just wondering. This board seems to chose someone to hate every day so I can't keep up with the reasons.

kermittheefrog
09-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Don't look at me, you can't give up on a guy you never had confidence in.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 05:59 PM
1. The big question about Harris was whether he would ever learn to hit big league pitching. That's why Baltimore let him go for nothing more than Chris Singleton.

2. Six weeks after getting the call, he's down to a Clayton-esque .217.

3. Manuel dropped him to #9 in the lineup almost a month ago, and he is still sucking. He shows no signs of adjusting--precisely what had everyone worried in the first place.

4. We've got a better option than Harris at 2B (Jimenez) and CF (Rowand). The playing time for these two young players (who have REAL prospects with the team) is being cut while Williams' genius pickup is given extra opportunities to prove he can't hit.

5. Manuel said he needed more offense from his seven fielders if he was going to get by with a no-stick catcher. With Harris playing, we're back to having two sinkholes in the #8 and #9 slots at the bottom of the order--precisely what Manuel knows is killing the team.

Joel Perez
09-08-2002, 06:06 PM
...which is the reason why it was great to see Tim Hummel get his average up past .250 before the end of the season...Look for Hummer and Hollywood battle for the 2b spot next year, while DJ penciled in for SS.

doublem23
09-08-2002, 06:14 PM
:ray
Eat it, Sox fans!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
...which is the reason why it was great to see Tim Hummel get his average up past .250 before the end of the season...Look for Hummer and Hollywood battle for the 2b spot next year, while DJ penciled in for SS.

I love the pic you have for your sig!!! I LOVE THE BLACKHAWKS!!!

Joel Perez
09-08-2002, 07:15 PM
That was some go-around too...

RichH55
09-08-2002, 07:47 PM
I always had Willie pegged for that super utility role, so he's working out to be about what one would expect

Tragg
09-08-2002, 09:50 PM
[i].

4. We've got a better option than Harris at 2B (Jimenez) and CF (Rowand). The playing time for these two young players (who have REAL prospects with the team) is being cut while Williams' genius pickup is given extra opportunities to prove he can't hit.

[/B]

And who is our option at SS?

i see no reason not to play him a lot during this last month.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
And who is our option at SS?

i see no reason not to play him a lot during this last month.

I dunno. I suppose we could play Jimenez out of position at SS, but what does that prove? Haven't we learned anything the past two years from playing guys out of their best position?

I'm not willing to blow the next 3 weeks worth of games having Jimenez play out of position, just so we can take an extended look at the next Tony Graffanino.

BuehrleACE56
09-08-2002, 10:32 PM
harris as the next tony g wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. he's faster and more exciting. I just wish people wouldn't start making clayton references towards harris this early.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
harris as the next tony g wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. he's faster and more exciting. I just wish people wouldn't start making clayton references towards harris this early.

Actually, it's a reference to the way Jerry Manuel is using him. I would NEVER suggest Harris is another Royce Clayton.

Also, I'm not blaming Manuel for these bizarre personnel moves. I'm more convinced than ever that he is catching hell from Williams for not playing Kenny's favorites more often.

LauraJ14
09-08-2002, 11:38 PM
I thought that Jiminez's natural position was shortstop not second base.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

I remember Wills and Melton on the radio talking about it as though 2B was his stronger spot, but I could be wrong.

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 02:08 AM
First to clear things up, Jimenez is a natural shortstop, thats the position he played throughout his minor league career. The Padres began teaching him second base prior to this season after they acquired shortstop Ramon Vazquez from the Mariners.

Regarding Harris, I didn't think he'd hit enough to be a major league regular but if the Sox believe in him I think it's early to give up on him. One hundred plus major league plate appearances don't tell you anything about a player. Even though I think Harris is more likely to be a utility man than starting second baseman only a bad organization would already dismiss him. If you're at the reigns you have opportunity you have to take a long look at Harris before giving up. As far as Jimenez, if he's comfortable with it I don't see rotating Jimenez around the infield as a problem. It allows everyone to get PT. Jose isn't going to ride the pine because he's a veteran and Crede, Harris and Jimenez all need to be evaluated.

I really don't see what Jerry could do differently in the infield. However I do have a problem with him starting Aaron Rowand in center over Joe Borchard.

Chisox_cali
09-09-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I really don't see what Jerry could do differently in the infield. However I do have a problem with him starting Aaron Rowand in center over Joe Borchard.

Well aren't they still 'evaluating' him?

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Well aren't they still 'evaluating' him?

Like I care, at least Willie Harris has given me reason to think he might have a chance at being a major league second baseman. I've never gotten the impression Aaron Rowand could ever be a starting major league outfielder.

BuehrleACE56
09-09-2002, 03:12 PM
what gave u that impression? rowand is awesome. I do think Borchard should get more playing time at the expense of Lee, or resting/DHing Maggs for a few games. Rowand needs the playing time.

rmusacch
09-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I dunno. I suppose we could play Jimenez out of position at SS, but what does that prove? Haven't we learned anything the past two years from playing guys out of their best position?

I'm not willing to blow the next 3 weeks worth of games having Jimenez play out of position, just so we can take an extended look at the next Tony Graffanino.

Jimenez' original position is SS. That is supposedly his best position. He was playing out of position with the Padres because they had Ramon Vazquez at short.

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
what gave u that impression? rowand is awesome. I do think Borchard should get more playing time at the expense of Lee, or resting/DHing Maggs for a few games. Rowand needs the playing time.

This may be the most misguided post of the week.

Randar68
09-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
This may be the most misguided post of the week.

You mean crashing into walls and OBP's under .300 doesn't equate to awesome! awwwww....

BLA!

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 04:23 PM
My favorite kind of players are the ones who get lost in the outfield and then crash into the wall. Screw getting on base and hitting for power!

PANFIRECRACKER
09-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

so far It doesn't appear he has the arm for shortstop. takes alot of steps and throws 3/4.

FarmerAndy
09-10-2002, 02:27 PM
If you want to talk about utility, Jose has utility written all over him. He's not all that great at any one position, but he can play multiple positions. His BA isn't that good, but he can come up with a big hit when you need it.

Sounds to me like we already have the perfect utility player.

I'd like to see Harris play everyday. If after awhile it becomes clear that he's not going to improve, then it will be time to get rid of him. But you can't groom him to be a utility player. I think veterans make better utility guys anyway.

Right now Jimenez is the only future prospect we have at the SS position. So why waste time? He should play there everyday. If we eventually need to search for other SS options, I'd rather know it sooner than later.

RichH55
09-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
If you want to talk about utility, Jose has utility written all over him. He's not all that great at any one position, but he can play multiple positions. His BA isn't that good, but he can come up with a big hit when you need it.

Sounds to me like we already have the perfect utility player.

I'd like to see Harris play everyday. If after awhile it becomes clear that he's not going to improve, then it will be time to get rid of him. But you can't groom him to be a utility player. I think veterans make better utility guys anyway.

Right now Jimenez is the only future prospect we have at the SS position. So why waste time? He should play there everyday. If we eventually need to search for other SS options, I'd rather know it sooner than later.

Well I think its too early to write off 2003, and if the reason you played Royce for so long was the 4.5, then Jose at 5 million should be untouchable, but honestly I might be an optimist but i dont see why we cant make a run at the division next year with Jose anchored at SS