PDA

View Full Version : Juiced ball

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Since I really don't want to talk about the Sox being unable to win a series against a team they have to overtake to have any shot at a wildcard (I still hate the wildcard), lets talk about just how much Plutonium has been injected into the ball.

Sosa hit numbers 38, 39, and 40 today. Bonds hit number 49. It's August 9th.

Forty home runs used to be a big-time season. 50 was phenomenal. 61 stood as the record for 37 years. Now if you don't hit 40, you ain't squat. Multiple players hit over, or at least threaten, 60 every year. If Bonds "only" hits 60, people will be ho-humming it.

Don't give me the "players are bigger and stronger" routine. They didn't become bigger and stronger overnight, but this has all been going on just since the '98 season.

They had lost fans from the strike/lockout who didn't seem to be coming back. They looked at what saved baseball after the Black Sox scandal: Babe Ruth. Fans loved the long ball. They admit having hopped up the ball back then. They even refer to "dead-ball era" and "modern era" records.

I'm convinced they did the same thing again to get fan interest back. And it has worked, but you just can't compare the numbers being put up now to those of the greats of the past. I'm hoping the way Ichiro plays small ball and the fact that the fans love it might inspire some American players to go back to fundamentals.

Bmr31
08-10-2001, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Since I really don't want to talk about the Sox being unable to win a series against a team they have to overtake to have any shot at a wildcard (I still hate the wildcard), lets talk about just how much Plutonium has been injected into the ball.

Sosa hit numbers 38, 39, and 40 today. Bonds hit number 49. It's August 9th.

Forty home runs used to be a big-time season. 50 was phenomenal. 61 stood as the record for 37 years. Now if you don't hit 40, you ain't squat. Multiple players hit over, or at least threaten, 60 every year. If Bonds "only" hits 60, people will be ho-humming it.

Don't give me the "players are bigger and stronger" routine. They didn't become bigger and stronger overnight, but this has all been going on just since the '98 season.

They had lost fans from the strike/lockout who didn't seem to be coming back. They looked at what saved baseball after the Black Sox scandal: Babe Ruth. Fans loved the long ball. They admit having hopped up the ball back then. They even refer to "dead-ball era" and "modern era" records.

I'm convinced they did the same thing again to get fan interest back. And it has worked, but you just can't compare the numbers being put up now to those of the greats of the past. I'm hoping the way Ichiro plays small ball and the fact that the fans love it might inspire some American players to go back to fundamentals.

ummm the players are bigger and stronger and the pitching is crappy...

doublem23
08-10-2001, 12:45 AM
Expansion dilutes pitching.

Plus, anyone who didn't see this coming in the early 90's missed something anyways, because the scouts at colleges and high schools were only saying one thing:

"They only want to hit. No one wants to pitch."

Now, they're saying:

"A lot of them want to hit, but there are some good pitchers out there."

:burly
Ehhh, I'm not that good. I'm still the #5 pitcher on this staff.

Tragg
08-10-2001, 12:47 AM
Perhaps they are doing something to the ball.

But:
expansion severely waters down pitching
players are bigger, stronger AND better conditioned than those of yesteryear. Yes Ruth, today under a good conditioning program, could possibly hit 100 homers in a year.

Bmr31
08-10-2001, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Perhaps they are doing something to the ball.

But:
expansion severely waters down pitching
players are bigger, stronger AND better conditioned than those of yesteryear. Yes Ruth, today under a good conditioning program, could possibly hit 100 homers in a year.

no doubt

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2001, 12:49 AM
BS. All kids wanted to do in the 50's was hit. It's all kids have always wanted to do.

I will point out again, it was not a gradual thing. It was sudden. From one year to the next we suddenly had everyone hitting 50 and 60, and little middle infielders hitting 25-30.

Bmr31
08-10-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
BS. All kids wanted to do in the 50's was hit. It's all kids have always wanted to do.

I will point out again, it was not a gradual thing. It was sudden. From one year to the next we suddenly had everyone hitting 50 and 60, and little middle infielders hitting 25-30.

once again, the pitching of today sucks...there is no need to juice a ball.

doublem23
08-10-2001, 12:54 AM
Well, I wouldn't say the ball isn't juiced...

But, yeah, today's pitching is brutal.

When Alan Embree is a MLB pitcher, you got problems.

Bmr31
08-10-2001, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I wouldn't say the ball isn't juiced...

But, yeah, today's pitching is brutal.

When Alan Embree is a MLB pitcher, you got problems.

LOL no kidding

Tragg
08-10-2001, 12:56 AM
nellie, maybe there was a sudden uptick in 1998. But people have speculated/complained about a juiced ball well before 1998.

FarWestChicago
08-10-2001, 01:10 AM

I agree with you, Nellie. There is no question pitching is watered down and steroid use is rampant (see Shammy), but it's more than that. Broken bat home runs? Dick Allen couldn't do that with a 1970's ball but he could break a wooden seat with a home run. Somewhere in small print it says Titleist on today's ball.

Bmr31
08-10-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I agree with you, Nellie. There is no question pitching is watered down and steroid use is rampant (see Shammy), but it's more than that. Broken bat home runs? Dick Allen couldn't do that with a 1970's ball but he could break a wooden seat with a home run. Somewhere in small print it says Titleist on today's ball.

sit down son :) :)

harwar
08-10-2001, 09:26 AM
The balls are wound much tighter than they used to be(the seams used to stick up higher).Maybe theres a little super ball in the middle of some of them,might cut a few in half sometime.I always wondered why the MLB balls are made in Haiti of all places,no one wants to go there(i mean i've been there & never want to go back).What a great way to control the outcome of a ballgame,some balls are juiced and others not,only the umps & the owners would know.Maybe thats why the umps have so much power in baseball these days.Baseball was dying after the strike and the owners decided to turn baseball into a hockey game with a lot of offensive action.I still wonder if the "great homerun race"between sosa & McGuire was staged.Hey,just because your paranoid it doesn't mean they're not really after you.

ma-gaga
08-10-2001, 09:40 AM
I still wonder if the "great homerun race"between sosa & McGuire was staged.Hey,just because your paranoid it doesn't mean they're not really after you.

that sounds like a signature to me...