PDA

View Full Version : Cement Head

ChiSoxBobette
09-08-2002, 08:32 AM
Does Jonny Boy Garland Have any brains in his head Yeah he had one good outing when he struck out how many 10 / 11 and before that. Face it the guys a 23 year old bad pitcher but nobody wants to believe it because he only 23 but hes been pitching in the majors for 2/3years and still makes mistakes that he was making 2 years ago. The guy has a big league arm and a CEMENT HEAD!Iwas at the game Saturday and as soon as C Lee hit that 2run homer off of Sabathia cement head gos out there and what does he do-Homer,Double, blows a bunt up the line and then everyone raves about how he got the double play but then its a tie game. Two innings later walks Thome 2 run homer to Garcia. Then what does C.C. Babathia do who by the way has probably less expirence in the majors then cement head does, C.C. shuts down the Sox something cement head should have been doing to the indians with a 2 run lead especially when he knows hes up against Sabathia.
Hey this is for the guy who posted to me after garland had his one good outing out of 10 - HOWS HE LOOKING NOW -He's looking like he always does a cement head.
As far as these three young pitchers go maybe we could pitch garland 3, wright 3, and then glover 3 maybe we'd get one good starting pitcher out of that.

WinningUgly!
09-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Does Jonny Boy Garland Have any brains in his head Yeah he had one good outing when he struck out how many 10 / 11 and before that. Face it the guys a 23 year old bad pitcher but nobody wants to believe it because he only 23 but hes been pitching in the majors for 2/3years and still makes mistakes that he was making 2 years ago. The guy has a big league arm and a CEMENT HEAD!Iwas at the game Saturday and as soon as C Lee hit that 2run homer off of Sabathia cement head gos out there and what does he do-Homer,Double, blows a bunt up the line and then everyone raves about how he got the double play but then its a tie game. Two innings later walks Thome 2 run homer to Garcia. Then what does C.C. Babathia do who by the way has probably less expirence in the majors then cement head does, C.C. shuts down the Sox something cement head should have been doing to the indians with a 2 run lead especially when he knows hes up against Sabathia.
Hey this is for the guy who posted to me after garland had his one good outing out of 10 - HOWS HE LOOKING NOW -He's looking like he always does a cement head.
As far as these three young pitchers go maybe we could pitch garland 3, wright 3, and then glover 3 maybe we'd get one good starting pitcher out of that.

Did Jon Garland steal your girlfriend or something? I just don't understand what your problem with the guy is. Has he been tearing it up this season...Hell no, but how many young pitchers dominate on teams that spend the entire season well under .500?

Looking at JG's starts since July31st..he's allowed a total of 19 earned runs during the stretch--an average of 2.39 earned runs allowed per start. During the stretch he had 2 bad starts...Aug 17th vs. OAK & Aug 23rd vs. TB. After these 2 bad outings, yesterday vs. CLE was his next worst performance. Giving up 4 runs in 6 innings isn't great, but these days it's what's known as a quality start son! Let it go.:angry:

FanOf14
09-08-2002, 11:44 AM
I have to agree what ChiSoxBob said (not necessarily the exact words, but what he was saying). Since Garland came up here, he's been notorious for giving up what lead he's been given (or breaking a tie). Then again, most of that was under Nardi's supervision when most of our pitchers did that. I know I am getting sick of hear about how great Garland COULD be and wish he would get some consistency together. He's looked great for a game or two and then chokes for a game or two. He's been up here at least a year longer than Wright, but everyone jumps on Wright a heck of a lot quicker than Garland. Garland has better stuff than Wright, but so far, Garland's been a progress-regress type pitcher - one step forward, two back. Hopefully Cooper stays up here and helps him to get over this lack of consistency. The one thing I will give Garland credit for is that if a pitch isn't working, he gives up on it for that game instead of trying to "make" it work.

Manuel needs to get rid of his 100 pitch count and just watch how his pitchers are doing - there have been at least 3 or 4 games this season that Garland shouldn't have gone past the 5th-6th inning, but Manuel trots him out only for us fans to see him labor, give up the lead/break the tie and then pull him.

doublem23
09-08-2002, 04:19 PM
God damn, Garland. I can't believe he hasn't won a couple of Cy Young Awards yet, either.

guillen4life13
09-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Did Jon Garland steal your girlfriend or something? I just don't understand what your problem with the guy is. Has he been tearing it up this season...Hell no, but how many young pitchers dominate on teams that spend the entire season well under .500?

Looking at JG's starts since July31st..he's allowed a total of 19 earned runs during the stretch--an average of 2.39 earned runs allowed per start. During the stretch he had 2 bad starts...Aug 17th vs. OAK & Aug 23rd vs. TB. After these 2 bad outings, yesterday vs. CLE was his next worst performance. Giving up 4 runs in 6 innings isn't great, but these days it's what's known as a quality start son! Let it go.:angry:

Originally posted by FanOf14
I have to agree what ChiSoxBob said (not necessarily the exact words, but what he was saying). Since Garland came up here, he's been notorious for giving up what lead he's been given (or breaking a tie). Then again, most of that was under Nardi's supervision when most of our pitchers did that. I know I am getting sick of hear about how great Garland COULD be and wish he would get some consistency together. He's looked great for a game or two and then chokes for a game or two. He's been up here at least a year longer than Wright, but everyone jumps on Wright a heck of a lot quicker than Garland. Garland has better stuff than Wright, but so far, Garland's been a progress-regress type pitcher - one step forward, two back. Hopefully Cooper stays up here and helps him to get over this lack of consistency. The one thing I will give Garland credit for is that if a pitch isn't working, he gives up on it for that game instead of trying to "make" it work.

Manuel needs to get rid of his 100 pitch count and just watch how his pitchers are doing - there have been at least 3 or 4 games this season that Garland shouldn't have gone past the 5th-6th inning, but Manuel trots him out only for us fans to see him labor, give up the lead/break the tie and then pull him.

you know something that i really feel has to be said? there have been how many threads started by you people bashing garland? keep it in those threads... and obviously you are not the majority in this argument, and it doesn't seem like many people are changing their minds, so give it up!

Konerko05
09-08-2002, 05:08 PM

Stop saying cement head over there.

Joel Perez
09-08-2002, 06:09 PM
I agree with the first post...three years in the majors, and he's still inconsistent...2003 will be a make or break year for Jon...either he locks down a starting spot, or else his future will be a closer, which he would probably be better off doing anyway.

TornLabrum
09-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
I agree with the first post...three years in the majors, and he's still inconsistent...2003 will be a make or break year for Jon...either he locks down a starting spot, or else his future will be a closer, which he would probably be better off doing anyway.

Three years in the majors at an age when most pitchers are starting their minor league careers!

Joel Perez
09-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Good point, but...three years of tutoring...
I give Jon kudos on his streak in May/June, when he was unstoppable...but ever since then it's been a yo-yo season for him. I would like for him to have some consistency next year, that's all I'm saying.

Give Jon some points as well on not having a true Pitching Coach during his major league days either. I think he has had three coaches in his three years of service...not good consistency on the bench either.

We'll see.

TornLabrum
09-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Good point, but...three years of tutoring...
I give Jon kudos on his streak in May/June, when he was unstoppable...but ever since then it's been a yo-yo season for him. I would like for him to have some consistency next year, that's all I'm saying.

Give Jon some points as well on not having a true Pitching Coach during his major league days either. I think he has had three coaches in his three years of service...not good consistency on the bench either.

We'll see.

Exactly. If Garland is still yo-yo-ing when he's 25 (another 3 years, I might add), then it's time to give up on him. I'm of the mind that he was brought up too soon.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Exactly. If Garland is still yo-yo-ing when he's 25 (another 3 years, I might add), then it's time to give up on him. I'm of the mind that he was brought up too soon.

Gee Hal, that hardly ever happens with the Sox!

TornLabrum
09-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Gee Hal, that hardly ever happens with the Sox!

These guys really are amazing, George! They either bring them up too soon or leave them to rot. Occasionally they get lucky and bring someone up when he's ready, but those cases are few and far between.

doublem23
09-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
These guys really are amazing, George! They either bring them up too soon or leave them to rot. Occasionally they get lucky and bring someone up when he's ready, but those cases are few and far between.

:burly
And those of us that are brought up at the right time bolt as soon as we can for better pay. I always thought my dyed blonde would look good in a Cardinal red cap.

:reinsy
You'll take a pay-cut and like it, Buehrle!

kermittheefrog
09-09-2002, 02:23 AM
Oh Buehrle was brought up too soon also, it just happened to work out well. He was brought up at age 21 with less than a full season of AA under his belt. At least Garland got 2/3 of a AAA season and Wells pitched in college. Buehrle was extremely raw. However what they did with him was let him start out in the pen. I think it's a smart move and I'm glad that Rauch isn't getting thrown right back into the rotation. Although who knows if it matters, Jerry doesn't seem in the mood to use him.

FanOf14
09-09-2002, 09:38 AM
guillenfan4life - I didn't start the post (or any Garland bashing post for that matter), I just responded. RELAX! Secondly, I said I didn't agree with the wording, just the gist. The point I was trying to make was more about people jumping all over Dan Wright who has less big league experience, and is about as consistant as Garland (considering Wright doesn't have Garland's talent, Dan's lack of consistancy isn't all that surprising), but yet no one is supposed to say anything remotely negative about Garland. Also, I don't post here to change people's minds, I post to share my opinion.

bc2k
09-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Just trade him to Pittsburgh and get it over with

MarkEdward
09-09-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Just trade him to Pittsburgh and get it over with

Salomon Torres is a can't miss prospect I tell ya! Garland for Torres would be a steal!

Randar68
09-10-2002, 10:02 AM

:whoflungpoo

This tag is getting its money's worth lately!

guillen4life13
09-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Fanof14- my fault. i sorta misinterpreted your post. if what you were saying is that you think Dan Wright's criticism is not justified if Garland's criticism isn't justified either, then I agree with you. my fault... my post was more directed towards ChiSoxBob.

FanOf14
09-11-2002, 12:17 PM
That's cool! It looks we agree about the criticsm! I have a tough time keeping my thoughts clear on message boards :)