PDA

View Full Version : Foulke

OEO Magglio
09-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Now that it seems like Foulke is going to get his chance to start, I'm wondering how everybody thinks he's going to do as a starter?

GASHWOUND
09-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Now that it seems like Foulke is going to get his chance to start, I'm wondering how everybody thinks he's going to do as a starter?

Sucky, although I can see him pitching like 41/3 innings(no more, and I may be pushin a bit) and giving up like 2 runs or somethin..But in like a spot start only.
He would need the whole off season to get in starting shape and develop a third pitch, most likely his slider/cut fastball.

But Foulke is a anomaly, he can pitch 2 innings one day and look great, but the next time he gets out there he can give up 3 hits and 2 runs in an inning and look lost out there..Who knows
maybe he can be a good starter, but nt likely.

WhiteSox = Life
09-07-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't want to see Foulke start. I'd rather see him in a permanent set-up role or back to being the closer. There was an initial reason why Keith was told to go to the bullpen to start with. Keep him in the 'pen.

That's the problem with White Sox management. Every time somebody has a few decent outings, whether or not consecutively, and in the minors or majors, the management believes they're ready for a different role or to be in the Bigs.

If White Sox management would let a player develop in a certain role and get acclimated with everything that the position involves, then and only then, should a player move up to the next step. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, e.g., Buehrle.

If Garland, Wright, and Rauch, amongst others, had spent a good amount of time in the minors, they'd be more prepared for the Majors and they would be hungrier to perform their best. For example, look at Crede. Although Joe might have stayed down too long (way too long according to some people), he's shown so far that the work in the minors has paid off.

Anyway, just one of seemingly thousands of problems that is wrong with White Sox management.

To recap, keep players down until really ready, let players devolop in one position at a time, and keep Foulke as set-up man, or back to closer.

Konerko05
09-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio

Not very well, you see Foulke only has one pitch and a magic trick. When he brings his arm back, the ball rolls into his sleeve. The pitch going towards the batter is actually just an optical illusion. No pitcher can survive in the majors with only a fastball and an optical illusion.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
Not very well, you see Foulke only has one pitch and a magic trick. When he brings his arm back, the ball rolls into his sleeve. The pitch going towards the batter is actually just an optical illusion. No pitcher can survive in the majors with only a fastball and an optical illusion.

Okay, this was suppose to be in teal, right?