PDA

View Full Version : Can the Twins make it?

Chisox_cali
09-06-2002, 02:56 AM
An article from TSN (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/stan_mcneal/20020905.html)

The best part:

FINAL VERDICT

Dominant starters take over in the postseason. Without one, the Twins won't make it out of the first round in October.

:)

Twins8791
09-06-2002, 07:06 AM
I thought the article was a reasonable assessment of the Twins. However, simply because it is hard to choose a #1 pitcher of the current group is not the reason to believe they will lose in the first round. (The Sox certainly have a dominating pitcher. No, we won't trade staffs.) The high quality of their opponents this year is likely to keep their October wins to a piddling few. The unique thing about my team of choice is a real parity of play this year. Every team previous that comes to mind had the same formula: stars and 'role-players'. Despite the medias' unfortunate concentration on Hunter, contributions have been remarkably well-spread through the pitching staff and among the position players as well. Time will tell wheather that adds up to anything more than a year of entertaining baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 07:36 AM
Everyone starts October baseball 0-0. The trick is punching your ticket to play. The Sox are abject failures at this.

If baseballl were set up like football's playoffs (one loss and you're out), I would give the Twins an excellent chance of advancing. Anything can happen in one game. The best team often doesn't win.

Short 3 of 5 series can be won on flukes, too. Winning 4 of 7 usually gives victory to the best team, but there are famous exceptions, like Cincinnati beating Oakland in '90.

I wouldn't be very surprised if the Twins advanced out of the first round. I wouldn't be very surprised if any team advanced out of the first round--except maybe the Sox--and they'll already be home.

ma-gaga
09-06-2002, 12:05 PM
The best pitcher on the Twins staff right now is Rick Reed.

I don't know how the hell he does it, he comes after batters with his 'smoking' 91 MPH fastball. I guess he is the 'veteran presence' that every pitching staff needs.

Plain and simple, if the Twins can score 4 runs in a playoff game they have a very good chance of winning it. The problem, is right now they would face Oakland in the first round, and Oakland is firing on all cylinders.

Like this article said, the Twinks have matched up well with everyone so far. Even the Yankees series were good close games, and they were so long ago it's hard to get a good read on how they affect games played in a couple of weeks. This weekends games against Oakland should tell a pretty good story. Last weeks games against Oakland were good tense playoff type games. Decided by 1-2 plays per game. The A's made them, and the Twins didn't.

I'm hoping fricking Guzman pulls his head out of his ass though. He's sleepwalking through games now, and it's hurting the team.

:)

Iwritecode
09-06-2002, 02:36 PM
OK, when did this site become Twinsinteractive???

Who let all these damn Twins fans in anyway???

:notwinks

:) :) :)

hold2dibber
09-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Plain and simple, if the Twins can score 4 runs in a playoff game they have a very good chance of winning it.

Huh? So you think Twins pitching will be able to keep the A's or Yankees to 3 or less runs per game? Kyle Lohse? Santana? Milton? Reed? I'm sorry, but I don't see those guys getting it done in the playoffs, particularly when they're matched up against Zito or Clemens or Washburn or Mulder. I don't think a single Twins starting pitcher would be any better than a #4 starter on any of the other AL playoff teams.