PDA

View Full Version : More Anti-Sox Garbage

RKMeibalane
09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
This was in The Butler Collegian for week of September 2:

"While the Twins have dominated the American League Central with a double-digit lead over the lowly, second-place Chicago White Sox, Selig said the Twins are an aberration, and that they could not survive beyond this season."

The author of this article is a Cubs fan. I was in class with him last semester. Will this crap ever end?

whitesoxwilkes
09-05-2002, 10:59 PM
shal we call him "Mini-Moronotti?"

Lip Man 1
09-05-2002, 11:43 PM
Uhhh, maybe I missed something.

Aren't the Sox UNDER .500?

Aren't they behind in double digits??

The truth hurts doesn't it? This is a GARBAGE team.

If you want to win, you have to pay the price and get quality players. Taking the cheap route gets you nothing. (Unless you're the A's and all they have is the best GM in the game and a bunch of "can't miss kids" who actually produced in the bigs, unlike our friends on the South Side)

and yes I've been a Sox fan for 42 years.

Lip

DVG
09-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

If you want to win, you have to pay the price and get quality players. Taking the cheap route gets you nothing. (Unless you're the A's and all they have is the best GM in the game and a bunch of "can't miss kids" who actually produced in the bigs, unlike our friends on the South Side)

Lip

There you go again with that "the truth hurts, mind your elders"
stuff. I think he was offended at the choice of the word "lowly"
to describe the Sox, coming from a Cub fan. It would be bad
enough coming from a Twins or A's fan (and yes, the Sox are
not a good team), but to come from a Cub fan whose team is
even worse? Yes, that's offensive.

and I've been a Sox fan for 30 years.

Div

Chisox_cali
09-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by DVG
There you go again with that "the truth hurts, mind your elders"
stuff. I think he was offended at the choice of the word "lowly"
to describe the Sox, coming from a Cub fan. It would be bad
enough coming from a Twins or A's fan (and yes, the Sox are
not a good team), but to come from a Cub fan whose team is
even worse? Yes, that's offensive.

and I've been a Sox fan for 30 years.

Div

Right on DVG. I think every elder Sox fans mission in life is to make you as depressed a Sox fan as they are. I really don't think I could follow a team that at every corner I would point to something wrong, past mistakes, and consistently have no hope for the future what so ever. If I ever got to that point in following a team, I would just stop following it. When I put more time into finding out things that are wrong with a team, than what is good, I've gone to far. But perhaps that's just me.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
....The author of this article is a Cubs fan. I was in class with him last semester. Will this crap ever end?

My advice would be to schedule as many classes as possible with this guy. The trick to getting a good grade is making sure there are always more numbskulls dumber than you weighing down the class average.

This idiot definitely qualifies.

ChiSoxBobette
09-06-2002, 10:15 AM

Lip
Until Our Kids Have A Year Under Their Belt HOW Do You Know They're Garbage. I watched this group of rookies who were brought up just recently and granted they have'nt been up for half the season, I think we have some promising players. Not that I don't think J.R. still needs to open his purse up and get us another qaulity starter, who knows maybe K.W. got lucky with Adkins I've heard he's pitching way better than he ever had with the A's & Billy Beane said in an interview he was a very promising prospect when they got him but they had to rush him along. We also have some rookie pitchers who granted may be a couple of years away but look promising Kris Honel for one. I"m tired of hearing that the minor league players we have are'nt that good , but you read about the flub minor league rookies and you'd think the flub system is the yankees. Everyones just ticked off that this year did'nt go the way it was supposed to, but then look at the twinkies this year who on that team may be gone next year, and how about the bickering thats been going on with them. I'll reserve my opinion until we see what happens next spring.
Go White Sox
:)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Until Our Kids Have A Year Under Their Belt HOW Do You Know They're Garbage....

Look, playing the kids is the easy part. They are young and work cheap. Anybody can play their kids and have reasonable hopes for improvement next year or the year after that. That's never been the problem for the Sox.

The problem, as it has been for 22 seasons under Reinsdorf, is filling the missing pieces to put the team over the hump. He WON'T do it! If he does anything at all, it will be half-hearted and on the cheap. That's why this team has the same holes on it it did after it got swept from the playoffs two years ago.

The Athletics filled the hole they needed to make a playoff run. They got a leadoff man (Durham) for next to nothing from us. They're trying to win a championship; the Sox are trying to save Reinsdorf money. See the difference?

So by all means, live it up! We brought up a bunch of kids, and we have reason to hope many (most?) will be everyday big leaguers. But let's stop deluding ourselves about what history tells us about Reinsdorf and the Sox owners who came before him. We're always 2-3 players away from paydirt.

For Sox Fans, playing the kids is about as good as it gets.

Hope to live into you 80's because you may just need to to see the Sox win a championship. We're just a few days away from extending the clock to 85 years and waiting--and we're still not there yet. Not even close.

So crucify me for speaking the truth.

FarmerAndy
09-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Look, playing the kids is the easy part. They are young and work cheap. Anybody can play their kids and have reasonable hopes for improvement next year or the year after that. That's never been the problem for the Sox.

The problem, as it has been for 22 seasons under Reinsdorf, is filling the missing pieces to put the team over the hump. He WON'T do it! If he does anything at all, it will be half-hearted and on the cheap. That's why this team has the same holes on it it did after it got swept from the playoffs two years ago.

The Athletics filled the hole they needed to make a playoff run. They got a leadoff man (Durham) for next to nothing from us. They're trying to win a championship; the Sox are trying to save Reinsdorf money. See the difference?

So by all means, live it up! We brought up a bunch of kids, and we have reason to hope many (most?) will be everyday big leaguers. But let's stop deluding ourselves about what history tells us about Reinsdorf and the Sox owners who came before him. We're always 2-3 players away from paydirt.

For Sox Fans, playing the kids is about as good as it gets.

Hope to live into you 80's because you may just need to to see the Sox win a championship. We're just a few days away from extending the clock to 85 years and waiting--and we're still not there yet. Not even close.

So crucify me for speaking the truth.

Amen George!

Hey DVG, don't think for a second that this opinion is only held by the old folks. I'm only 26, but you don't have to be old to be bitter. I will be a loyal Sox fan until the day I die. It's like an abusive relationship though. Every time they promise it will get better, that things will change. But it never does.

If I wanted blind optimism, I would have been a Cub fan. I'd rather take the truth, no matter how much it hurts. I just hope I don't die young, so that I might see a day when Uncle Jerry doesn't own the team anymore and we can see real change.

voodoochile
09-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Amen George!

Hey DVG, don't think for a second that this opinion is only held by the old folks. I'm only 26, but you don't have to be old to be bitter. I will be a loyal Sox fan until the day I die. It's like an abusive relationship though. Every time they promise it will get better, that things will change. But it never does.

If I wanted blind optimism, I would have been a Cub fan. I'd rather take the truth, no matter how much it hurts. I just hope I don't die young, so that I might see a day when Uncle Jerry doesn't own the team anymore and we can see real change.

If anyone wants a reason to understand the megativity that surrounds many of us, all they need to do is look at Sox moves in July and August. When was the last time they truly added a piece to put them over the top? CJ? Yeah, but he wasn't what they really needed. Half the starters were down with injuries and Brook was having a solid year behind the plate. CJ was a nice pickup, but the Sox needed a couple of veteran starters. Before that it was Tim "freaking" Belcher in 1993. They did add Boomer before the 2001 season, which is as hyped a signing as they've had since Carlton Fisk, but the Sox just don't sign the name players and name players attract fans and generate energy in the clubhouse. JR's refusal to do whatever is necessary to put the team over the top gets old - really really old. It is indeed an abusive relationship made worse by JR's incessant comments about money and the lack of attendance...

:selljerry

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If anyone wants a reason to understand the megativity that surrounds many of us, all they need to do is look at Sox moves in July and August. When was the last time they truly added a piece to put them over the top? CJ? Yeah, but he wasn't what they really needed. Half the starters were down with injuries and Brook was having a solid year behind the plate. CJ was a nice pickup, but the Sox needed a couple of veteran starters. Before that it was Tim "freaking" Belcher in 1993. They did add Boomer before the 2001 season, which is as hyped a signing as they've had since Carlton Fisk, but the Sox just don't sign the name players and name players attract fans and generate energy in the clubhouse. JR's refusal to do whatever is necessary to put the team over the top gets old - really really old. It is indeed an abusive relationship made worse by JR's incessant comments about money and the lack of attendance...

:selljerry

I completely agree. Just for accuracy, I'll add the fact that Fisk was a free agent signing and cost Reinsdorf real money to acquire. In Boomer's case, that was a trade of #1 pitchers. All it cost JR was the incremental salary Boomer had over Sirotka. Furthermore, it did nothing to address the need for a #1 pitcher as Sirotka was damaged goods and Boomer definitely on the downward side of his career.

I could make the case that only Bud Selig saved Kenny Williams from looking like a complete ass in the deal with his "caveat emptor" ruling against the Blue Jays and the incompetence of Gord Ash to certify Sirotka's health after the deal. The Sox got damned lucky in Shouldergate.

I suppose signing Albert Belle for $55 million was a good example of opening the purse strings, but every Sox Fan knows the real need of the 1997 team was replacing #1 and #2 pitchers Jack McDowell and Alex Fernandez. $55 million would have gone a long way in that department. Instead we passed on Roger Clemens and got Jaime Navarro. If Reinsdorf has simply held onto Julio Franco, we wouldn't have needed Belle at all. Instead he let him walk to Japan.

Un-freaking-believable.

NUCatsFan
09-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Furthermore, it did nothing to address the need for a #1 pitcher as Sirotka was damaged goods and Boomer definitely on the downward side of his career.

I know that I certainly wouldn't want a lefty pitcher on my team who is 15-7, 4.16 ERA this year. Certainly seems to be continuing his downward slide. Not to say that he's going to be dominant, but he certainly isn't washed up.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
I know that I certainly wouldn't want a lefty pitcher on my team who is 15-7, 4.16 ERA this year. Certainly seems to be continuing his downward slide. Not to say that he's going to be dominant, but he certainly isn't washed up.

He was washed up for us. Boomer slimmed down for Big George. There was no way JR was picking up that $10 million to keep Boomer either.

We're losers whether we made the deal (Boomer got hurt and is gone) or didn't (Sirotka was damaged goods).

Next question?

Lip Man 1
09-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Chisox-Cali:

It would be very interesting to see how your perceptions will have changed in twenty years when the Sox STILL haven't even been in, let alone won a World Series.

Age has nothing to do with this. I was pissed at the Sox when I was in my 20's because they stunk then as well. I try not to settle for mediocrity in anything I do and I think fans should take the same attitude towards the Sox. I enjoy baseball but I love to win and unfortunately the Sox have let me down far to often.

Lip

Chisox_cali
09-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Chisox-Cali:

It would be very interesting to see how your perceptions will have changed in twenty years when the Sox STILL haven't even been in, let alone won a World Series.

Age has nothing to do with this. I was pissed at the Sox when I was in my 20's because they stunk then as well. I try not to settle for mediocrity in anything I do and I think fans should take the same attitude towards the Sox. I enjoy baseball but I love to win and unfortunately the Sox have let me down far to often.

Lip

Well that's one man's opinion. I'm at a point in my life as a Sox fan where I haven't lost all hope. When that day comes, I'll stop following them, but until then I'll still watch them. As far as your situation goes, no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to be a fan of the Sox, if the team causes you so much pain, just stop following them. I wouldn't stare at the Sun just because I liked it. Just my opinion.

CubKilla
09-06-2002, 07:24 PM
This was in The Butler Collegian for week of September 2:

"While the Twins have dominated the American League Central with a double-digit lead over the lowly, second-place Chicago White Sox, Selig said the Twins are an aberration, and that they could not survive beyond this season."

The author of this article is a Cubs fan. I was in class with him last semester. Will this crap ever end?

Ask this author if the Sox are a, "lowly, second-place" team, what do the sCrUBS qualify as in fourth place and 20-give-or-take-1-or-2-games below .500?

RKMeibalane
09-06-2002, 08:17 PM

Lip

All I'm saying is that Cubs fans have no right to imply that the Sox suck, because their team is much worse. As bad as the Sox have been, they stand a good chance of finishing with a winning record. The Cubs have gone more than thirty years since they had back-to-back winning seasons.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 08:46 PM
All I'm saying is that Cubs fans have no right to imply that the Sox suck, because their team is much worse. As bad as the Sox have been, they stand a good chance of finishing with a winning record. The Cubs have gone more than thirty years since they had back-to-back winning seasons.

Like I said before, schedule as many classes as possible with this idiot. His "F" is your ticket to an "A".

You know, it's good the world is filled with Flubs fans.

RKMeibalane
09-06-2002, 09:03 PM
You know, it's good the world is filled with Flubs fans.

I wouldn't go that far. There are several Cubs fans at Butler, and most of them are irritating. I was wearing a Sox shirt outside one day, and several people looked at me funny. Hmmm...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't go that far. There are several Cubs fans at Butler, and most of them are irritating. I was wearing a Sox shirt outside one day, and several people looked at me funny. Hmmm...

Did you find out what classes they are registering for?

Carpe diem, my friend!