PDA

View Full Version : Jose Valentin


balboner
09-05-2002, 08:36 PM
There's no way this guy should play SS for us next year. In the last week, he demonstrated what a liability he is. We dont have the same staff we had in 2000, and cant get away w/horrible fielding.

WinningUgly!
09-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by balboner
There's no way this guy should play SS for us next year. In the last week, he demonstrated what a liability he is. We dont have the same staff we had in 2000, and cant get away w/horrible fielding.

Jose will probably be moved in the offseason. If he's not I'd like to see him at DH next year...assuming Thomas is no longer around.

RKMeibalane
09-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Jose will probably be moved in the offseason. If he's not I'd like to see him at DH next year...assuming Thomas is no longer around.

Thomas will be around. No one else wants him because they think he's finished.

FarmerAndy
09-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by balboner
There's no way this guy should play SS for us next year. In the last week, he demonstrated what a liability he is. We dont have the same staff we had in 2000, and cant get away w/horrible fielding.

I agree. One could argue that we don't have anybody else proven at that position for next year, but that is all the more reason to start taking a look at our other options. Jose will be gone after 2003 anyway, so I think that Jimenez should get a shot at playing SS full time next year. That way we can see if he can cut the mustard there. Plus, I think Jose's 5 million could be better spent.

I think Jose would be a great utility guy, and I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there that could use his services.

You better be careful though, Balboner. The suggestion that we should move Jose is not a popular opinion around here. Some people think he's the second coming of Christ.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Who didn't see these posts coming after Valentin committed an error last night?

Oh, brother...

We've got bigger fish to fry than rehashing this subject again.

voodoochile
09-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
You better be careful though, Balboner. The suggestion that we should move Jose is not a popular opinion around here. Some people think he's the second coming of Christ.

Only when compared to Royce "The Choice" Clayton. Aside from that most of us FOM think he is a solid SS with good pop in his bat, but no one thinks he is ARod or even Tejada...

CubKilla
09-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I agree. One could argue that we don't have anybody else proven at that position for next year, but that is all the more reason to start taking a look at our other options. Jose will be gone after 2003 anyway, so I think that Jimenez should get a shot at playing SS full time next year. That way we can see if he can cut the mustard there. Plus, I think Jose's 5 million could be better spent.

I think Jose would be a great utility guy, and I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there that could use his services.

You better be careful though, Balboner. The suggestion that we should move Jose is not a popular opinion around here. Some people think he's the second coming of Christ.

YEAH! SCREW VALENTIN. I WANT CHOICE AT SS NEXT YEAR!

Seriously..... a Valentin error finally cost the White Sox a win. How many games has K-layton's bat cost us a win the past 2 seasons is the bigger question.

hold2dibber
09-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Jose will probably be moved in the offseason. If he's not I'd like to see him at DH next year...assuming Thomas is no longer around.

Jose is a decent hitter for a SS; he is a lousy hitter for a DH (see OBP of about .300 and his inability to hit lefties).

FarmerAndy
09-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
YEAH! SCREW VALENTIN. I WANT CHOICE AT SS NEXT YEAR!

Seriously..... a Valentin error finally cost the White Sox a win. How many games has K-layton's bat cost us a win the past 2 seasons is the bigger question.

Did I miss something? Since when does this thread have anything to do with Royce?

CubKilla
09-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Did I miss something? Since when does this thread have anything to do with Royce?

It doesn't. But who are the White Sox gonna have at SS next year if not Valentin? Jimenez? JR's not likely to acquire anyone to make a difference in the offseason so I figure it's either Valentin or K-layton.