PDA

View Full Version : Jerry promotes his brand of fiscal responsibility

whitesoxwilkes
09-05-2002, 08:10 PM
...and we'll have to suffer as a result. From Yahoo News (not sure which wire carried this one):

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf -- who voted against the 1996 agreement along with Cleveland, Kansas City and Oakland -- said during the meeting that teams should use their increased revenue-sharing money to decrease debt rather than increase payroll, the baseball official said. Reinsdorf declined comment.

Daver
09-05-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
...and we'll have to suffer as a result. From Yahoo News (not sure which wire carried this one):

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf -- who voted against the 1996 agreement along with Cleveland, Kansas City and Oakland -- said during the meeting that teams should use their increased revenue-sharing money to decrease debt rather than increase payroll, the baseball official said. Reinsdorf declined comment.

I'd be willing to let him off the hook for being a cheap-ass if he would be willing to show me his books and prove what his debt is.......

whitesoxwilkes
09-05-2002, 08:39 PM
I actually know a few of the partners in the Sox and visit their houses on occasion. Maybe I'll snoop next time I'm there and see if I can rustle up an annual report.

Daver
09-05-2002, 08:43 PM
I actually know a few of the partners in the Sox and visit their houses on occasion. Maybe I'll snoop next time I'm there and see if I can rustle up an annual report.

An annual report would be meaningless,it will not tell you what corporation owns the parking concession,what corporation owns the rights to the concessions,etc.

whitesoxwilkes
09-05-2002, 09:35 PM
..and my guess is i couldn;t figure out his org charts anyway. i'm a trader, not an andersen accountant.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2002, 09:45 PM

I would imagine Reinsdorf knows the future cost to MLB buying out weak franchises will be less if those clubs haven't got too much debt. Then the owners can threaten contraction on Kansas City, Tampa Bay, plus a few other teams, and extract new CBA concessions from the players in 2006.

Contraction is a bargaining chip, and we are going to see MLB threaten more teams' fans in the future--not fewer.

To paraphrase my favorite psuedo-commissioner from 1994...

:tool
"It's sick! SICK!"

Lip Man 1
09-06-2002, 05:37 PM
And you were surprised by what??? I mean this is Jerry Reinsdorf isn't it?

When they signed the agreement, I was the first one to call the Peter Brown show on The Sporting News radio. I stated this was a bad deal because there was no provision for these so called "small markets" to actually HAVE to take their welfare checks and upgrade their clubs.

All this agreement did was make rich owners like Glass, Pohland, Reinsdorf, Moores etc even wealthier!

Congrats baseball fans, I guess you got what you wanted didn't you? Like I said in my column, at least four years from now the fans won't be blaming the "greedy players" when the garbage teams are STILL garbage teams after the agreement expires.

Lip