PDA

View Full Version : Rauch & Danny boy

spanishwhite
09-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Does anybody know if Danny regained his 95mph
heater that he had in the minors last year?

And from what I heard, Rauch was only hitting 90 or so
last Tuesday eventhough he has been hitting 94 in the minors.

Does anybody know why they lose mph when they get
to the majors?

And does anybody think that Danny boy will be in the sox
future. He is second on the team in quality starts with 15 or 16.
It seems like he could be real good or be like JAMEY Wright of the
Cardinals.

Go Sox.

Chisoxfn
09-05-2002, 05:51 PM
I've seen Wright throw 94 plenty of times at the big league level. He varies his speed on his fastball which is a good thing. His velocity may be down right now, but thats likely cause its late in the season and he's thrown more innings then he's ever pitched.

Daver
09-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Two things

1 Welcome aboard!

2 No two guns will ever clock the same,and I have seen Wright hit 96 on the gun at Comiskey.

Paulwny
09-05-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by daver

No two guns will ever clock the same,and I have seen Wright hit 96 on the gun at Comiskey.

A NY State trooper I know, told me he onced clocked a tree doing 20mph.

Daver
09-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
A NY State trooper I know, told me he onced clocked a tree doing 20mph.

I have a few freinds on the Will county Sherrifs Dept. that have confirmed that.

spanishwhite
09-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Personally, I could give a damn if he hits 100 or 80 if
he can win games and keep our relatively young
offense w/i striking distance.

I think that Garland gets more praise than Wright does but
it doesnt look like Garland has better pitches or results.

I like Garland better b/c of his sinker but I wonder if Wright
will be our number 4 of the future or the next Baldwin.

Go Sox!

Daver
09-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Personally, I could give a damn if he hits 100 or 80 if
he can win games and keep our relatively young
offense w/i striking distance.

I think that Garland gets more praise than Wright does but
it doesnt look like Garland has better pitches or results.

I like Garland better b/c of his sinker but I wonder if Wright
will be our number 4 of the future or the next Baldwin.

Go Sox!

I am not a beleiver in the radar gun as a coaching tool,never have been.

Wright has the potential to be better than Garland,since Dan throws five pitches for strikes,but Garland has better command of what he does throw.

A lot will depend on whether Don Cooper chooses to remain the pitching coach at the MLB level.

hold2dibber
09-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
I am not a beleiver in the radar gun as a coaching tool,never have been.

Wright has the potential to be better than Garland,since Dan throws five pitches for strikes,but Garland has better command of what he does throw.

A lot will depend on whether Don Cooper chooses to remain the pitching coach at the MLB level.

Do you have reason to believe that the choice will be Cooper's to make?

Daver
09-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Do you have reason to believe that the choice will be Cooper's to make?

It was his choice to make in 95,the last time he was the Sox pitching coach,and I see no reason why management would threaten to get rid of him if he chose to step down,he is well liked throughout the minor league system,and knows what he is doing.

I am speculating,but I beleive the choice would be his.

BuehrleACE56
09-05-2002, 07:52 PM
i like danny boy. he's throws strikes, and he throws hard. he doesn't nibble and pick corners like garland tends to do at times. both are young anf both have a future here. I think Danny would be a good number 3 guy with garland being #4. we need a veteran for number two behind buehrle. hopefully a real veteran and not another todd ritchie. actually gary glover has been throwing decent stuff and winning some ballgames. i wouldn't mind seeing him given more chances. but i would definately hang onto danny boy and garland. they'll be decent starters at the least if not very good. take our lumps in 2002 and sick with them.

Randar68
09-06-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
i like danny boy. he's throws strikes, and he throws hard. he doesn't nibble and pick corners like garland tends to do at times. both are young anf both have a future here. I think Danny would be a good number 3 guy with garland being #4. we need a veteran for number two behind buehrle. hopefully a real veteran and not another todd ritchie. actually gary glover has been throwing decent stuff and winning some ballgames. i wouldn't mind seeing him given more chances. but i would definately hang onto danny boy and garland. they'll be decent starters at the least if not very good. take our lumps in 2002 and sick with them.

Garland's ERA by Month:
April: 6.33
May: 3.89
June: 3.75
July: 8.00
Aug: 3.23
Sep: 4.26

Garland had 2 bad months (1 REALLY BAD!) that are basically the reason his ERA is in the high 4's instead of the high 3's. He's 22 years old and inconsistent. SURPRISE! GIve him time, he's a special pitcher.

Wright's ERA by Month:
April: 5.08
May: 7.33
June: 5.82
July: 3.62
Aug: 6.17
Sep: 2.84

Danny has been all over the place. While he's always had good stuff and throw 4 or 5 pitches, he's never had very good control. There is nothing I see that makes me think he'll ever develop into a Curt Schilling like pitcher, but he may become a good #3 pitcher.