PDA

View Full Version : Doubting Thomas

Daver
09-05-2002, 05:47 PM
CNN/SI's take on the Thomas situation. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/stephen_cannella/news/2002/09/05/touching_base/)

BuehrleACE56
09-05-2002, 09:08 PM
well his skills have diminished and he's not worth the money. that's the bottom line. invoke the clause and let him test the market. maybe bring him back for less money if he'll do it. so long as he's not being paid outrageous amounts of money for whining and striking out and not being the "Big Hurt."

Daver
09-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
well his skills have diminished and he's not worth the money. that's the bottom line. invoke the clause and let him test the market. maybe bring him back for less money if he'll do it. so long as he's not being paid outrageous amounts of money for whining and striking out and not being the "Big Hurt."

If the clause is invoked,and he accepts it,it will cost the Sox more in the long run,as they have to pay interest on the money deferred.

dougs78
09-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
If the clause is invoked,and he accepts it,it will cost the Sox more in the long run,as they have to pay interest on the money deferred.

Really? What is your source for this information? I've not ever heard that twist on it. In fact, it seems downright strange to me. What interest rate would he paid? The average daily bond price? Whatever the local branch of 5/3 is dishing out? S&P?? My point is how in the world can you pay someone their original money with 4 years of interest? And more to the point, if you are going to have to pay someone their money in the future as well as all the interest you could earn off of it, then what motivates you to keep ahold of that money?

Daver
09-05-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Really? What is your source for this information? I've not ever heard that twist on it. In fact, it seems downright strange to me. What interest rate would he paid? The average daily bond price? Whatever the local branch of 5/3 is dishing out? S&P?? My point is how in the world can you pay someone their original money with 4 years of interest? And more to the point, if you are going to have to pay someone their money in the future as well as all the interest you could earn off of it, then what motivates you to keep ahold of that money?

My source is the Daily Southtown,and they did not give rates,they published if the clause is invoked it goes from 9.9 mil to 10.4 mil a year,due to interest on on the deferred money,based on what I have no clue.

RKMeibalane
09-05-2002, 11:14 PM
:reinsy

"If you want me to invoke the DSC on Frank Thomas, then you need to come out to the park for the last few home games of the season. I will not accomodate people who aren't interested in the product I'm putting out on the field. If you don't want to go to games, then you shouldn't complain when I sit on my ass all day watching Miami Vice reruns. So there!"

RedPinStripes
09-05-2002, 11:19 PM
I have this great feeling that this clause does not exist. 4 people saw it and 2 of them are dead. If JR and thomas dumped that diminshed skills clause in St 2001, do you think either one of them would have told the press?

RKMeibalane
09-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I have this great feeling that this clause does not exist. 4 people saw it and 2 of them are dead. If JR and thomas dumped that diminshed skills clause in St 2001, do you think either one of them would have told the press?

:reinsy

"If you want me to keep my mouth shut in front of the media, then you need to start coming to games. There isn't much time left in the season, and I need to see that fans are interested in supporting this team. Otherwise, I will schedule an interview with Jay Mariotti every day next week, and I will him anything he wants to know about my ballclub."

Randar68
09-06-2002, 11:30 AM

The money is deferred interest free. Do not listen to the Daily Southtown as far as accuracy is concerned.

Randar68
09-06-2002, 11:32 AM
My source is the Daily Southtown,and they did not give rates,they published if the clause is invoked it goes from 9.9 mil to 10.4 mil a year,due to interest on on the deferred money,based on what I have no clue.

That would be an unbelieveably bad interest rate considering the length of deferral.