PDA

View Full Version : Does this look familiar?

Cheryl
09-04-2002, 01:43 PM
A's doing it all -- where are the fans?

Here's one Oakland A's baseball stat worth chewing on -- for all the front-page headlines and excitement the record-streaking team has generated of late, attendance this season is still lagging behind last year's. ..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/04/BA185801.DTL

yyz
09-04-2002, 02:01 PM
I don't want to hear any more poor-mouthing of our fan support from KW. We've played very poorly and our attendance is only off about 150 from last year, and overall league attendance on a percentage basis is down more than that.

I live in the Bay Area, and you don't hear Billy Beane spending most of his media time whining about poor fan support.

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by yyz
I don't want to hear any more poor-mouthing of our fan support from KW. We've played very poorly and our attendance is only off about 150 from last year, and overall league attendance on a percentage basis is down more than that.

I live in the Bay Area, and you don't hear Billy Beane spending most of his media time whining about poor fan support.

Any comparison between Beane and KW is truly depressing.

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Here's one Oakland A's baseball stat worth chewing on -- for all the front-page headlines and excitement the record-streaking team has generated of late, attendance this season is still lagging behind last year's. ..

As the article suggests, the key to big attendance numbers is season ticket sales. If you don't have a large season ticket base, you simply cannot expect to draw tons of people, even if you have a good season. KW, JR and Rob Gallas appear to be completely oblivious to this fact.

duke of dorwood
09-04-2002, 03:01 PM
The whining about support does not motivate me to go. Baseball fans with intelligence were put off by all the labor stuff. Its not just here as previously noted. As a season ticket person from last year, what bugged me was that we ended up paying full price on "half-priced Mondays" 5 times in our package, that others sitting next to us were paying half. We got no break on half price nights. I assume this is the policy across the board.

voodoochile
09-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The whining about support does not motivate me to go. Baseball fans with intelligence were put off by all the labor stuff. Its not just here as previously noted. As a season ticket person from last year, what bugged me was that we ended up paying full price on "half-priced Mondays" 5 times in our package, that others sitting next to us were paying half. We got no break on half price nights. I assume this is the policy across the board.

Yeah, that is the policy. I think the pick7 pack is better. You get the discount on Mondays AND get the 7th game for $1/seat. Still the season ticket packages do get $1 off per seat per game, so you do get some discounts and the knowledge that you are getting to pick exactly where you want to sit, not just the general area...

steff
09-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

They are having serious talks about giving season ticket holders Monday's at half price. Brad said that a decision should be made by November on that for sure.. but he said it looks good.

Foulke You
09-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Wow. Replace A's with Sox, Giants with Cubs, Coliseum with Comiskey, and the SF Bay area with Chicago and you would have an article from the 2000 Chicago White Sox baseball season. Also, since when is 25,000 fans a game not enough? That's a pretty nice crowd in my book. They're going to get 2.1 million fans there. Why must you draw 32,000 + to be considered a big draw and have a good fanbase?

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Also, since when is 25,000 fans a game not enough? That's a pretty nice crowd in my book. They're going to get 2.1 million fans there. Why must you draw 32,000 + to be considered a big draw and have a good fanbase?

Good point. The last time the Sox lead the league in attendance was 1960, when they drew 1.64 million fans in 77 home dates. The average attendance was 21,356/game. That's almost exactly what the team is averaging this year, I believe.

ihatethecubs
09-05-2002, 04:01 AM
of course, the giants play in wrigley west, the cute "beautiful" shoreside park you go to to be seen at the park, not watch the game, and leave when barry gets his last at bat. and san fran is the "nice" part of the bay area.
then you have the a's in the "bad neighborhood" oakland, playing in a "horrible" stadium.
the average moron living in the bay area finds more appeal in watching benito santiago "splash" one into mccovey cove and stare at an over-sized baseball glove, rather than watch the best team in baseball with an awesome pitching staff win a record 20 in a row. its all about appealing to that "average idiot" to get good attendance, and the cubs and giants definately do that much more than the sox and a's.

kermittheefrog
09-05-2002, 04:05 AM
Well to the Giants credit they are a pretty good team too.