PDA

View Full Version : Draft Ramifications according to BA...

Randar68
09-04-2002, 12:13 AM
The agreement between the players and owners contains three provisions that will have an effect on the draft:

1. Both sides will form a committee that will try to finalize a worldwide draft for June 2003. Among the issues the committee will have to resolve are the number of rounds, which figures to fall between 20 (the players' proposal) and 38 (the owners' counter), down from the current 50 in the domestic draft. The committee also will decide whether teams should be permitted to trade draft picks and whether clubs' negotiating rights to different classes of players will change. As I discussed in the July 23 Ask BA, I believe a worldwide draft will cause more problems than it will solve. I'm for the trading of draft picks, though it will lead to agents blackmailing teams into dealing high-priced prospects to the larger-revenue teams unless mandatory bonus slotting is instituted.

2. Team that fail to sign their first-round pick no longer will get a supplemental first-round pick the following year. Instead, they will get a bonus first-round pick immediately following the overall selection corresponding to the player they failed to sign. In other words, should the Orioles not come to terms with 2002's No. 4 overall pick, Adam Loewen, they'll get an extra first-round pick following the fourth choice in 2003. This will allow teams to exert even more leverage when trying to sign first-rounders, an issue I tackled in the August 27 Ask BA. Teams are starting to hold their ground more than they have in the past, and this will help their cause.

3. The most important ramification for the draft is the elimination of compensation picks for the loss of quality (Type A, B or C) free agents. This means that once the joint committee resolves the issues mentioned above, the players could have no say in determining draft rules, which fall outside the Basic Agreement. This would allow owners to put in NBA-style mandatory bonus slotting without the union having to approve it. While the players as a whole would like to see draft bonuses reduced so more money would trickle up to them, they don't want to come out publicly in favor of restricting any kind of free market.

RichH55
09-10-2002, 04:51 PM
I dont know why this hasnt gotten more attention....it will wind up influencing the Sox future(and baseball) more than a token september callup or two or even a Hall of Fame place for the Jose-Choice debates(just like the Lincoln-Douglas ones only with more animosity)

DrCrawdad
09-10-2002, 05:12 PM
What's the bottom line? Will these proposals help or hurt the Sox? The one I wonder about the most is the Worldwide Draft.

Daver
09-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What's the bottom line? Will these proposals help or hurt the Sox? The one I wonder about the most is the Worldwide Draft.

Working out the legal logistics of a worldwide draft will be huge,mostly in getting countries like Japan and Valenzuela to agree to terms with it,the teams in those countries that these players are playing for are going to want compensation for allowing them to enter the draft.

The biggest impact will be the loss of draft picks in compensation for losing FA's,many teams used that system to build their minor league system by letting high priced FA's walk,which is why the MLBPA wanted to do away with it,it forces teams to think twice about letting their own FA's walk,and it gives them an incentive to seek contract extensions as opposed to letting players enter FA at all.

I expect that this will come up again in the next CBA,with the players demanding some say in in the "slotting" of draftees that is sure to come under this new system,and will show the concessions they made in this CBA as the basis for asking for them.

You gotta love the business of baseball. :redneck

Randar68
09-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

We don't scout Asia at all, and realistically, we do a very poor job in Latin America too.