PDA

View Full Version : Are the Sox playing for Manuel?

Dadawg_77
09-03-2002, 05:03 PM
After the Chairman steps into the clubhouse and yells at the team, they start to play. Everyone is acting like Jerry Manuel is gone becuase of this. Could the players sence this to and decide to pick it up a notch in effort to keep Manuel around?

RedPinStripes
09-03-2002, 05:15 PM
They're playing so they can get the hell out of Chicago. :D:

Jerry_Manuel
09-03-2002, 05:25 PM
No their not.

Manuel is going to be here to at least start the season. I still don't see Reinsdorf paying him.

The team is playing better because they played 2 piss poor teams, and because they have players on the field who care.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2002, 05:06 PM
I have some thoughts about this which I'll be putting into a column soon but basically here what I think is happening.

The Sox are playing better because they are in a stretch of playing bad teams and the roster that they have (primarilly young, inexperienced kids) is doing better because the "presuure" is off.

By "pressure" I mean actually having to win when they still have a chance to win a division or make the post season.

Recent history tilts overwhelmingly in favor of this theory. Ironically all of the years have occured under Manager Gandhi.

To wit:

After August 25, 1998 (My birthday) the Sox closed the season going 24-9. This led a lot of fans to think that 1999 was going to be a good year, that the kids "really could play..." etc.

Well 1999 came along and when the Sox had to make a statement at the start of the year, they failed miserably.

2001, was a disaster (granted the injuries took a large toll) but how does that explain that the Sox played very well in the 2nd half? (after they were already out of the race...)

Ditto for this season! With 24 games left, the Sox have a chance to at least end the year over .500, but the question remains, why can't this team win when it counts???

I think it's because they don't have experienced, talented veteran players with a history of winning who know how to get the job done from the start. I also think Manager Gandhi does NOT stress the fundamentals in spring training and the Sox don't really start doing these things (at least adequetely) until it's far to late in the campaign.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-04-2002, 05:06 PM
As if to prove my point, here's Rocky Biddle:

"It's not like there's a lot of pressure on us. We're loose and playing good baseball."

That's my point EXACTLY. As I've shown by reviewing the schedules the past few years, the Sox ALWAYS seem to play better when they are out of the race. The question still remains, WHY?

Lip

kermittheefrog
09-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Maybe they are playing good baseball because Lofton and Alomar are gone, Clayton is on the bench and Ritchie is out the rotation. Ya know, the guys who weren't really helping the team that much. It's just a thought.

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have some thoughts about this which I'll be putting into a column soon but basically here what I think is happening.

The Sox are playing better because they are in a stretch of playing bad teams and the roster that they have (primarilly young, inexperienced kids) is doing better because the "presuure" is off.

By "pressure" I mean actually having to win when they still have a chance to win a division or make the post season.

Recent history tilts overwhelmingly in favor of this theory. Ironically all of the years have occured under Manager Gandhi.

To wit:

After August 25, 1998 (My birthday) the Sox closed the season going 24-9. This led a lot of fans to think that 1999 was going to be a good year, that the kids "really could play..." etc.

Well 1999 came along and when the Sox had to make a statement at the start of the year, they failed miserably.

2001, was a disaster (granted the injuries took a large toll) but how does that explain that the Sox played very well in the 2nd half? (after they were already out of the race...)

Ditto for this season! With 24 games left, the Sox have a chance to at least end the year over .500, but the question remains, why can't this team win when it counts???

I think it's because they don't have experienced, talented veteran players with a history of winning who know how to get the job done from the start. I also think Manager Gandhi does NOT stress the fundamentals in spring training and the Sox don't really start doing these things (at least adequetely) until it's far to late in the campaign.

Lip

I'm with you - I also note that even in 2000, no one expected squat out of that team coming out of the gates and they played great. When the pressure was cranked up again in the playoffs, they choked miserably (I know that's harsh, but those guys were wound so tight during the 2000 playoffs they couldn't sh*t a dime).