PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf Legacy.


Dadawg_77
09-03-2002, 04:52 PM
From pictures I have seen of him recently, he seems to be getting up there in age. Does anyone think he may want to leave this world as the guy who brought a World Series to Chicago? Not that he will spend totally extravagant, but maybe just maybe realize his time is running out and go and grab which ever FA Brave pitcher is on the market. Just a thought.

hold2dibber
09-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
From pictures I have seen of him recently, he seems to be getting up there in age. Does anyone think he may want to leave this world as the guy who brought a World Series to Chicago? Not that he will spend totally extravagant, but maybe just maybe realize his time is running out and go and grab which ever FA Brave pitcher is on the market. Just a thought.

If I recall correctly, JR is in his early 70s. But I don't think his desire to be the man who brought a world series to Chicago will ever over power his desire to do business "the JR" way, which precludes paying big $ to a FA pitcher. Plus, I sense that the guy has an enormous ego, so he probably thinks he'll live forever.

Lip Man 1
09-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf is 66 years old.

I agree with the previous post that his ego and his "boss" mentality precludes any desire to win a World Championship unless it's done HIS way. (i.e. with a low payroll, inexperienced field and front office executives and without having to "lower" himself to dealing with high powered agents like Scott Boras or the media.)

Because of the new labor agreement any chances that he will sell the team are now gone.

I know from three good sources that Reinsdorf's wife Martel has been telling him to sell for the past few years yet he refuses to listen to her.

Until recently no one in Reinsdorf's family has expressed any interest in running the team after he departs. It was reported a few months ago that his eldest son (David?) was working with scouts in the Cape Cod League learing to evaluate talent. That could be an indication he wants to take over in the future.

Whether he will be like his Father, a raving egomanic, and someone who desires confrontation over compromise or somebody completely different remains to be seen.

But remember the old saying "like father, like son." If that's the case it'll be ANOTHER 60 years before the Sox do squat! (sigh...)

Lip

voodoochile
09-03-2002, 11:14 PM
What's really sad is that this town would absolutely die for a baseball winner. The person/corporation that actually finally fields a WS winner will be immediately deified by the fans (like Ditka was - even though he didn't build the team, he was the face of victory). But, no one wants to do whatever is necessary to make it happen. So sad...

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What's really sad is that this town would absolutely die for a baseball winner. The person/corporation that actually finally fields a WS winner will be immediately deified by the fans (like Ditka was - even though he didn't build the team, he was the face of victory). But, no one wants to do whatever is necessary to make it happen. So sad...

That's exactly right. I view the Sox as a sleeping giant (potentially). If they could manage to win a WS title, they would take over this town. From 1990 - 1993 the Sox drew 2.0 million, 2.93 million, 2.68 million and 2.5 million fans. And that was with a team that was a perennial contender for the division crown but only made the playoffs once and never won a playoff series. Imagine what they could draw if they were a consistent WS contender over the course of 4-5 years, winning a playoff series or two, or even a WS? There are two ways for this team and franchise to re-capture the many Sox fans (and fence sitters) out there: one is for Reinsdorf to sell to an ownership group that the fans don't hate. The second is to become a serious contender for an extended period of time. If JR doesn't see this, he's a fool.

SI1020
09-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What's really sad is that this town would absolutely die for a baseball winner. The person/corporation that actually finally fields a WS winner will be immediately deified by the fans (like Ditka was - even though he didn't build the team, he was the face of victory). But, no one wants to do whatever is necessary to make it happen. So sad... You see it is possible for us to actually agree on something. You are so right here, an owner that brought a WS championship to Chicago would be put on the highest pedestal. The fans would be in nirvana. When will it happen??

voodoochile
09-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
You see it is possible for us to actually agree on something. You are so right here, an owner that brought a WS championship to Chicago would be put on the highest pedestal. The fans would be in nirvana. When will it happen??

I never doubted we agreed about the Sox. It's the Parking Lot where we have arguments - hence the name...

Come on JR make a step toward greatness. Take a chance and make it happen. Earn the respect you crave. We might even forgive you siding with Krause over MJ if you just bring home a winner. The window is still their. Their are still a bunch of young stars to ride. Frank even looks better these past few weeks. Sign Buehrle and Konerko and then go land Maddux and Clemens and see where it takes us...

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I never doubted we agreed about the Sox. It's the Parking Lot where we have arguments - hence the name...

Come on JR make a step toward greatness. Take a chance and make it happen. Earn the respect you crave. We might even forgive you siding with Krause over MJ if you just bring home a winner. The window is still their. Their are still a bunch of young stars to ride. Frank even looks better these past few weeks. Sign Buehrle and Konerko and then go land Maddux and Clemens and see where it takes us...

:reinsy
"Clemens? We could have had him five years ago and took a pass (after all, Jamie Navarro was available instead) so why would we want him now?"

ChiSoxBobette
09-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Well if he'd open his pocket book for at the very least a top of the line free agent starting pitcher next year there is no doubt that we can take the twinkies, especially if Frank Thomas comes back to form (unless he's gone next year) and Maggs is the same old Maggs & Pauly hits like he did and these rookies are what it looks like they can be then a starting pitcher would be what puts us over the top. Because right now as I see the twinkies pitchers they don't look all that great , and now it seems there is some bickering going on with their team also you have to figure that the twinkies will lose a few of their young players to free agency(maybe we can steal Tori Hunter - hey a guy can dream). So Yeah J.R. if you want a winner sometimes you have to spend just a little money if not sell the team.
GO WHITE SOX !
Go Joe & Joe
:)

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Well if he'd open his pocket book for at the very least a top of the line free agent starting pitcher next year there is no doubt that we can take the twinkies, especially if Frank Thomas comes back to form (unless he's gone next year) and Maggs is the same old Maggs & Pauly hits like he did and these rookies are what it looks like they can be then a starting pitcher would be what puts us over the top. Because right now as I see the twinkies pitchers they don't look all that great , and now it seems there is some bickering going on with their team also you have to figure that the twinkies will lose a few of their young players to free agency(maybe we can steal Tori Hunter - hey a guy can dream). So Yeah J.R. if you want a winner sometimes you have to spend just a little money if not sell the team.
GO WHITE SOX !
Go Joe & Joe
:)

Man that's a lot of "if"s!! :smile:

I don't really know which top of the line starting pitchers will be available via free agency this off season other than Maddux, Glavine and Moyer. But at least one of those guys will end up back in Atlanta and they're all so old that I don't know if I'd feel real comfortable devoting a lot of payroll to any of them. Al Leiter just re-upped with the Mets for 2 years at $10 mm/year. I would think Maddux and Glavine would command more and Moyer about the same. I'd be more interested in the Sox trading for a younger, quality starter (even one with -- egads! -- a long term contract). Would it be worth the risk to take a flier on Mike Hampton or Chan Ho Park (assuming that the Sox wouldn't have to assume the entire contract)? Or maybe a "second tier" free agent pitcher with upside, like Pedro Astacio?