PDA

View Full Version : 2003 All-Star revenue

kingpin_rcs
09-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Next year, as we all know, the all-star game comes to Comiskey Park. I personally can't wait. I have been wondering. Since the all-star game produces a lot of extra cash for a team (more season tix, packed houses for HR derby and game, etc), is it reasonable to think that the Sox could borrow into next years extra revenue and get a free agent?

Most people here will probably say the JR would never do it and they're probably right.

hold2dibber
09-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Are you certain that the Sox pocket the $ from the HR derby and the game? I would be surprised if MLB doesn't get a large portion (or even all) that $.

I don't know what you mean "borrow into next year's extra revenue" -- it is my understanding that the payroll for each season is determined, in large part, upon the team's projections for revenues it will earn that season. Presumably, when determining whether to add any free agents next off season, the Sox will take into consideration any additional revenue they might receive from the all-star game and related festivities, as well as any revenue sharing they might receive under the new CBA.

I predict the Sox will sign PK and Buehrle to long term deals (maybe 5 and 3 years respectively) with the extra money and that any free agents they sign will be of the cheap, Grade B, variety.

34 Inch Stick
09-03-2002, 02:43 PM
I think they will have no incentive to spend heavy in the FA market this winter. Season ticket sales should be up regardless of the clubs ability as people try to secure tickets to the All Star Game. The youth movement has started and they will give these guys a year to prove if they can play. All signs point towards a tough 2003 (the pitching will still be too young), but I am hopeful for 2004.

hold2dibber
09-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think they will have no incentive to spend heavy in the FA market this winter. Season ticket sales should be up regardless of the clubs ability as people try to secure tickets to the All Star Game. The youth movement has started and they will give these guys a year to prove if they can play. All signs point towards a tough 2003 (the pitching will still be too young), but I am hopeful for 2004.

I agree; I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to find a "stop gap" CF and C via free agency (much as they did last winter with Lofton) but other than that, I doubt they'll be active in the FA market. The team's fortunes for 2003 rest largely upon the arms of Garland, Wright, Glover, Rauch, Ginter, Biddle, Almonte, Parque (if he's still here), Foulke (if he's still here) and Ritchie (if he's still here). The team needs several of these guys to step up and provide consistent quality pitching if the Sox are to have any hope of contending. Other wise, we're looking at another season of somewhere between 75 and 85 wins.