PDA

View Full Version : Twins, Sox going opposite directions


HawkDJ
09-02-2002, 08:53 PM
With the loss today the Twins have lost 5 straight while the Sox have won 6 straight. The Twins magic number has been at 13 for a while now (as in my sig). Unfortuantely its too little too late. Oh if only it was May!

Chisox_cali
09-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
With the loss today the Twins have lost 5 straight while the Sox have won 6 straight. The Twins magic number has been at 13 for a while now (as in my sig). Unfortuantely its too little too late. Oh if only it was May!

They also lost to a mariner team that had been sucking really bad the last week or so.

kingpin_rcs
09-02-2002, 09:11 PM
As they say in baseball

It aint over till it's over!

It can happen. It's an incredible longshot yes but it has happened before.

ma-gaga
09-02-2002, 09:18 PM
The Sox are still mathmatically in it.

That's all I'm going to say.

:)

whitesoxwilkes
09-02-2002, 10:30 PM
what would our "magic number" be?

WinningUgly!
09-02-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
what would our "magic number" be?

2-0-0-3 :D:

Dadawg_77
09-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
what would our "magic number" be?

163-Our Wins - Twins Losses

163 - 67 - 59 = 37

Twin's Number

163 - 80 - 70 = 13

Combined Games left

48

So we would need 77% of the remaining games to go our way

The Twins need 27.3% of the games to go there way.

doublem23
09-02-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
2-0-0-3 :D:

More like 2005, 2006 (hopefully)

harwar
09-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Man,i hate being like this,but my hopes are up.If we can win some more and the twins keep losing?Borchard goes on a Pujols type tear,the youngsters play with passion,the pitchers get really hot..Oh,forget it.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
More like 2005, 2006 (hopefully)

Such optimisim around here. JEEZ!!

FarmerAndy
09-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
As they say in baseball

It aint over till it's over!

It can happen. It's an incredible longshot yes but it has happened before.

When has it happened before?

I'm not saying I don't believe you. But if a team has come back from a 12 game deficit in the last month of the season, that's a piece of baseball history that I'd like to know about.

RedPinStripes
09-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
More like 2005, 2006 (hopefully)

On no! Remember, KW will have time to think we only have half a team if we win a division. Then he has to trade the whole team away.

Foulke You
09-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
When has it happened before?

I'm not saying I don't believe you. But if a team has come back from a 12 game deficit in the last month of the season, that's a piece of baseball history that I'd like to know about.

I believe the 1969 Cubs are the biggest choke artists in baseball history. They coughed up a 10 game lead in Mid August and then the lovable losers proceeded to choke in September compiling an 8-17 record in while the "Amazin' Mets" went 23-7 in September to capture the pennant. A 12 game deficit in September would probably be the biggest comeback in baseball history. We'd need an Oakland A's like 19 game winning streak and the Twins would still need to lose a bunch. Let's not kid ourselves like Cub fans, start looking to Spring Training '03.

guillen4life13
09-03-2002, 09:23 PM
agreed, although the tremor in my heart is going. i'm gonna find something to bring me back to reality. and i think that many of us have been :gulp: ing

Tragg
09-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
We'd need an Oakland A's like 19 game winning streak and the Twins would still need to lose a bunch. Let's not kid ourselves like Cub fans, start looking to Spring Training '03.

I'm enjoying this and am not looking toward spring training. Oh, i know we won't catch them. But, let's make the Twins sweat, if just a little bit, and not let them clinch until they are into the last week (we didn't clinch in 2000 until the second to last Sunday).

voodoochile
09-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I'm enjoying this and am not looking toward spring training. Oh, i know we won't catch them. But, let's make the Twins sweat, if just a little bit, and not let them clinch until they are into the last week (we didn't clinch in 2000 until the second to last Sunday).

That's actually reasonably early by recent standards. Recently it seems that at least one division goes down to the final weekend every year. I don't know the historical figures, but anything before 9/20 is pretty rare.

Statheads, am I suffering from anecdotal evidence? What's the average day that divisions are clinched on?

MarqSox
09-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I'm enjoying this and am not looking toward spring training. Oh, i know we won't catch them. But, let's make the Twins sweat, if just a little bit, and not let them clinch until they are into the last week (we didn't clinch in 2000 until the second to last Sunday).

Amen, I'm all for making them nervous ... all I ask is that the Twins don't clinch at Comiskey. That'd be harsh.

Tragg
09-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That's actually reasonably early by recent standards. Recently it seems that at least one division goes down to the final weekend every year. I don't know the historical figures, but anything before 9/20 is pretty rare.

Statheads, am I suffering from anecdotal evidence? What's the average day that divisions are clinched on?

Well you are right - to clinch before the last week, you need to have a 6 or 7 game lead (however many games you have left). so if we can close to 5 or 6, that will make them sweat: and the fact that we end the season with 3 against them should make them sweat even more. Right now, however, they lead by 11.5. so if we play even with them hereon out, they will clinch with about 2 weeks left in the season.

Glad to see we're going down fighting.

MarqSox
09-03-2002, 11:47 PM
It could be that my North Side roommate slipped some Cubbie Koolaid in my evening beverage, but what say we make like the A's and win 15 in a row? We're halfway there ... if the Twinkies keep slumping, that would put us about 7 games out or so with 6 head-to-head left.

I'm almost ashamed to even think that way ... but hell, it's kinda fun. Pass the booze!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

voodoochile
09-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Amen, I'm all for making them nervous ... all I ask is that the Twins don't clinch at Comiskey. That'd be harsh.

If they do, that alone should get Manuel fired, IMO. If he can't fire up the team enough to defend their own home field that late in the season when they still have a fighting chance, he doesn't deserve to lead the team...

If they clinch at Comiskey it might mean a 9 game lead with 9 to play at the beginning of the series - which would be slightly acceptable, but what if it is 4 or 5 games and we get swept? With 6 H2H games left at that point in time, the team had better be ready to play unless they are already closed out. There would be no excuse for the Sox to roll over at that point in time. Make them earn it on someone elses home field, or hopefully defend their own turf to make it happen.

Yeah, it would be a real long shot in any case, but still. The Sox need to defend their turf and Manuel needs to make sure they are ready to or he should get run out of town on a rail...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2002, 06:45 AM
Deep down inside, the Twins know they won this division by default. In fact, they never played a critical division series except a laughable pair against Cleveland back in April (May?). Hell, the Sox had already imploded by the time the Twinkies even played the first of 19 games, LOL!

That team has proven ****. Of course everybody starts with an 0-0 record in October, so it really doesn't matter.

I guess it's better to be lucky than good. The Twins sure were back in '87 and '91, winning two world championships without a single road victory.

:reinsy
"Don't worry,Sox Fans. That first playoff victory at home is coming real soon. Certainly by the end of the decade--I think."

ma-gaga
09-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Just some minor quibbles. The Twins won the AL Pennant in Detroit in 1987 and in Toronto in 1991.

They didn't win any WS games away from home...

"Earned it by default." I like it.

:)

Foulke You
09-04-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I'm enjoying this and am not looking toward spring training. Oh, i know we won't catch them. But, let's make the Twins sweat, if just a little bit, and not let them clinch until they are into the last week (we didn't clinch in 2000 until the second to last Sunday).

Oh, I'm all for making the Twinks sweat it out and I too am enjoying this winning streak. I'm just not going to start making my October baseball plans for Chicago. I don't know about the rest of you but I am looking forward to seeing Torii Hunter's face after the (insert tough AL team here, Yankees, A's) sweep them in the ALDS. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Just some minor quibbles. The Twins won the AL Pennant in Detroit in 1987 and in Toronto in 1991.

They didn't win any WS games away from home...

"Earned it by default." I like it.

:)

Here's one minor quibble back. I never said the Twins "earned" jack. Go back and re-read what I wrote.

They got this division by default. Big difference.

Got it served them on a silver platter, I would argue.

ma-gaga
09-04-2002, 05:15 PM
yeah yeah yeah... i can't read.

I like 'earned' better though.

:)

FarmerAndy
09-04-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Deep down inside, the Twins know they won this division by default. In fact, they never played a critical division series except a laughable pair against Cleveland back in April (May?). Hell, the Sox had already imploded by the time the Twinkies even played the first of 19 games, LOL!

That team has proven ****.

Just one week ago, the Twins were only 3 games behind the Yankees in the win column, and only 2 behind the A's. This losing streak over the last week has hurt them, but that's not the point.

I have no love for the Twins at all, but I can't believe that nobody will give them any credit. If the Sox hadn't choked this year, we would be in the middle of a head to head race with them.

I think they played good enough to prove that they would be battling us for the division right now if we hadn't choked. Even if the White Sox had played good this year, they still would've challenged us pretty good. Everybody around here acts like we let them win.

They've handed us our butts on a plate for the last 2 years, so to say that they aren't for real is an even bigger insult to us.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
....They've handed us our butts on a plate for the last 2 years, so to say that they aren't for real is an even bigger insult to us.

You're right. It is an even bigger insult to us--and a well-deserved one, too.

I thought Ray Durham was an idiot to poo-poo the Twins last winter. The Sox haven't proven jack against that team. I never believed the Sox were a better team. I picked them for second place last spring.

Jerry_Manuel
09-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I picked them for second place last spring.

Don't try and steal my thunder! I said it before you!