PDA

View Full Version : Adkins just keeps on rollin'

HawkDJ
09-02-2002, 04:20 PM
Last night:

7 Innings, 1 run (earned), 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.
That brings his ERA with teh Sox to 3.69. Not too shappy I say. He also has just 12 walks in 45 innings (3.75 innings per walk)

He was one of Oakland's top prospects before Tommy John surgery so you never know. We may just have found gold in trash. Any chance at the rotation next year you think?

kermittheefrog
09-02-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Last night:

7 Innings, 1 run (earned), 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.
That brings his ERA with teh Sox to 3.69. Not too shappy I say. He also has just 12 walks in 45 innings (3.75 innings per walk)

He was one of Oakland's top prospects before Tommy John surgery so you never know. We may just have found gold in trash. Any chance at the rotation next year you think?

A) He wasn't a top prospect, ever.

B) When you give up an All-star second baseman you aren't exactly picking through the scrap heap.

HawkDJ
09-02-2002, 06:07 PM
From soxnet.net

18. Jon Adkins - Charlotte Knights (AAA)

Why Is Jon on the List:
Jon Adkins, was very highly thought of in the Athletics organization before his Tommy John surgery, and has struggled mightily since.

kermittheefrog
09-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Look dude I don't care what some lame fansite has to say. I track prospects on my own. Adkins has never been in Oakland's top 10 prospects. Last year BA started doing a prospect guide with the top 30 prospects for each organization. In last year's book Adkins was 19th on Oaklands list. This year he was 23rd. Jon Sickels writes a prospect guide that cover 1400 prospects a year and Adkins hasn't appeared in his book ever.

Adkins was not highly thought of in the Oakland organization. In fact they were frustrated with the fact that he didn't put in effort to learn and improve his changeup. Maybe you should try telling someone else who is and isn't a prospect.

HawkDJ
09-02-2002, 06:38 PM
All right, all right. Settle down now. I was just telling you what I saw, ok? No need to get angry.

CubKilla
09-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Anybody KW has picked up is suspect with me until proven in the Big Leagues. But, I am not gonna lie here, his numbers since being traded to the Sox are encouraging.

ChiSoxBobette
09-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
A) He wasn't a top prospect, ever.

B) When you give up an All-star second baseman you aren't exactly picking through the scrap heap.

Lets face it Ray may have once been an All-Star 2nd bagger but I've watched few A's games and he seemed to mostly be D.H.ing
and who knows he may be again but not with the White Sox not after seeing Harris & Jimenez hitting ray may still have it but the fielding part has slipped way, way down - to be exact his range stinks now! Maybe K.W. got lucky with this Adkins guy if not I don't think it would have mattered because Ray was gone next year.
Go White Sox

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 09:19 PM
I don't think of ray as the all-star second baseman. I think of him as the bad defensive 2b, the man with warning track power, the guy that pissed me off more then any other player on the sox because he had so much ability and did stupid **** at the plate. And teh guy who used to fall asleep in the field.

yyz
09-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Look, I don't know if Adkins is any good, but if we hadn't dumped Ray, we would have gotten nothing in return, because the new CBA eliminates the mechanism where you get a prospect if you lose a guy to free agency. KW and all the other GMs probably knew this was likely to happen, and that was the backdrop against he was negotiating - dump him now for what I'll give you, or lose him at the end of the season and get nothing. (I'm not a KW fan and any other GM probably would have gotten more, but he may have made the best of a bad situation here.)