PDA

View Full Version : Manuel to stay with Sox...

harwar
09-02-2002, 12:17 PM
According to senoir writer Ken Rosenthal,who covers baseball for The Sporting News,Jerry Manuel will stay with the Sox,at least begin the season with them.He said Reinsdorf was"less than supportive"in a players only meeting,critisizing the teams' effort and vowing stricter rules during spring training.He said a slow start in 2003 could doom Manuel,but if Reinsdorf truly wants to kick-start the team,he should find a way to purge Frank Thomas and other sluggish veterans."One of the signs of a bad team is that you never get running times on their guys from home to first"a scout says."I get fewer running times on the White Sox than any team in baseball.They just don't run.They've been a dead team for a long time"... This is something that i've noticed for some time now but i thought it was just me.At any rate,i guess we go back to "the kids can play" again next year and hope for the best.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by harwar
According to senoir writer Ken Rosenthal,who covers baseball for The Sporting News,Jerry Manuel will stay with the Sox,at least begin the season with them.He said Reinsdorf was"less than supportive"in a players only meeting,critisizing the teams' effort and vowing stricter rules during spring training.He said a slow start in 2003 could doom Manuel,but if Reinsdorf truly wants to kick-start the team,he should find a way to purge Frank Thomas and other sluggish veterans."One of the signs of a bad team is that you never get running times on their guys from home to first"a scout says."I get fewer running times on the White Sox than any team in baseball.They just don't run.They've been a dead team for a long time"... This is something that i've noticed for some time now but i thought it was just me.At any rate,i guess we go back to "the kids can play" again next year and hope for the best.

I hope thats wrong. I'd like nothing more than to see Manuels head rolling down 35th street before the season ends.

duke of dorwood
09-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Being strict and being Manual are not compatable

Jerry_Manuel
09-02-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Being strict and being Manual are not compatable

Williams will be in the clubhouse more.

voodoochile
09-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Oh that is sure to solve the problem...

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Who the **** taught KW to manage a team? Schu never went in the clubhouse as far as i know.

:KW
I'm just an idiot and don
't know any better.

Jerry_Manuel
09-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Oh that is sure to solve the problem...

Exactly, the players know he's a joke. They can see what's happening to Manuel.

Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Who the **** taught KW to manage a team? Schu never went in the clubhouse as far as i know.

Schu didn't care what people thought about him. Williams is very insecure about his image. He doesn't like negative press.

Paulwny
09-02-2002, 02:09 PM
One of the signs of a bad team is that you never get running times on their guys from home to first"a scout says."I get fewer running times on the White Sox than any team in baseball.They just don't run.They've been a dead team for a long time"... "

I blame lack of hustle on managers.

voodoochile
09-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Schu didn't care what people thought about him. Williams is very insecure about his image. He doesn't like negative press.

:KW
"Hey, when you look this good, who has to worry about negative press. Remember, players don't win championships, organizations win championships. I learned that from the other great JR GM, JK. Give me a few more years and I'll have turned over the whole team to build Chicago a winner. JR is obviously upset with the players, so I am going to dump a bunch of them for some serious talent, and I'll do it all for under $45M."

:reinsy
"We have to do it that way, because you loser fans won't come out to see the crap... er... teams we've been putting on the field, so we just don't have the money to spend on players AND pay me my paltry $1M+ salary (which should never ever be confused with profit of which there isn't any anyway). It's all your fault!"

LongDistanceFan
09-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I blame lack of hustle on managers.

which manager, jm or kw and i am not confusing this with the gm title that the lap dog holds.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
which manager, jm or kw and i am not confusing this with the gm title that the lap dog holds.

KW may end up like Mike Keenan was with the Blackhawks back in the early 90's. Can you imagine this asstard as the GM and Manager?

ACK!!

Jerry_Manuel
09-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
KW may end up like Mike Keenan was with the Blackhawks back in the early 90's. Can you imagine this asstard as the GM and Manager?

He'd have nobody to blame if he was the manager, have to have a scape goat.

Kilroy
09-02-2002, 05:58 PM
According to senoir writer Ken Rosenthal,who covers baseball for The Sporting News,Jerry Manuel will stay with the Sox,at least begin the season with them.He said Reinsdorf was"less than supportive"in a players only meeting,critisizing the teams' effort and vowing stricter rules during spring training. He said a slow start in 2003 could doom Manuel, but if Reinsdorf truly wants to kick-start the team, he should find a way to purge Frank Thomas and other sluggish veterans." ... I guess we go back to "the kids can play" again next year and hope for the best.

Every ******** with a pen is going to write "Get rid of Frank Thomas". It makes for more controversy that way. Buying into that line of BS is silly.

As for the rest, Manuel's head should be on the block now, and the fact that JR spoke to the team about their effort w/out Manuel should have let him know that. But don't expect JR to launch him now when he'll still have to pay him. JR is still JR, and Manuel was manager of the year 2 years ago. There's no reason he can't be again. But next year, he better "come ready to play".

As far as who we'll see next year. I'm betting on a whole new infield except for PK. Look for Crede, Jiminez, and Harris. I know I've been excited to see them. But I'm also not worried about and team aspirations right now either. That changes in the spring. Rowand will work in CF, and I think we will still see CLee, Maggs of course. Thomas will still be here.

Clayton - gone. Valentin - gone - he's gonna turn up too pricey, and the team will not be pushing for the series next year, they'll be building again (sigh). Ritchie will be here. And I agree with that move. He should have a contract fat with incentives, and I think we'll see something quite different from him.

If the Sox intend to contend next year, you'll know it by the FA pitchers they sign. If not, then look for Rauch and Parque if he gets even slightly better than he is now. The rest will be the usual suspects -- Wright, Garland, Glover, Buehrle. The Sox would be best served if Glover can go back to relief.

oldcomiskey
09-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Manos better not go anywhere especially if we keep toad ruiniski

kermittheefrog
09-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Why can't JR just fire both Kenny and Jerry and let the team move on? It's obvious at this point that Kenny is killing the franchise. *sigh*

CubKilla
09-02-2002, 06:58 PM

Wonderful! Just what this young team needs. More "motherf******" and buffet table launching. Seriously..... when is KW going to shoulder some of the blame for the crap that we've seen (Ritchie, K-layton, Wells, et al)? KW acts like none of this is his fault but turns around and wants praise from the media and fans for deals that, so far, seem to be helping the team. And, IMHO, the juries still out on Jimenez, Marte, Harris, etc. When is someone in the White Sox Organization gonna wrap their knuckles repeatedly into KW's dense skull and scream, "McFly..... wake up McFly! The deals that have gone bust have hurt this team 100 times more than the relatively minor deals that have, so far, helped it."

bc2k
09-03-2002, 12:40 PM
One of the signs of a bad team is that you never get running times on their guys from home to first"a scout says."I get fewer running times on the White Sox than any team in baseball.They just don't run.

I've noticed this as well. Rowand and suprisingly Thomas are the only ones I notice go home to first hard.

ode to veeck
09-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Frankly I'd rather have Keenan than JM or KW in the dugout. Why would anyone think an inexperienced, poor track record GM would be able to improve the managing of the team. At least Keenan would enforce some discipline and consistency in managing the team, nothing anyone currently from JM to JR seem capable of today

ChiSoxBobette
09-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Well if J.R. wants stricter spring training rules he better get himself a manager who can enforce them because after reading Manuels response to J.R.'s player meeting I don't think anything is going to change. I think our White Sox team will go through the same thing we have had the last 2 years getting to far behind to do anything even though we start playing baseball the way everyone thought we should.I think the players just don't have any confidence in Manuel and most of his main coaches this started in the Yankees series at Sox park earlier this year thats when the Sox seemed to throw in the towel and went into the dumper.
J.R. after the end of this season reevaluate Manuel & his coaches and who cares if you have to pay off Manuels & some of the coaches contracts they need to go not after next season starts but during the off season so we can get a major league mananger & coaches for spring training 2003, otherwise we'll be going through the same thing next year.
And it would'nt hurt to re-evaluate you're G.M.
Go White Sox!!!!
Go Joe & Joe
:)