PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Not over


kingpin_rcs
09-02-2002, 10:26 AM
I know I'll probably get buried on this but that's ok. I still think the Sox can do it this year. As of today they are 13 games out - a lot? Yes, but consider that 6 of the last 9 games of the season are against the Twins. So, if the Sox gan get to within 6 games back by that first series, they could still pull it off.

Of course, they will need a lot of help. The Twins will have to play bad baseball for the rest of the season and the Sox will have to play near perfect during the same time.

During the last week this is what has been happening. The Twins have lost 4 in a row and continue to play good teams (that is if you still consider the M's a good team). The Sox have been playing well (have not lost since JR's team meeting - coincidence?).

If this trend continues - and why couldn't it? Then the Sox just might walk back assward into the playoffs. Improbable but still possible. The last week keeps that last glimmer of hope alive. I know it's not likely but 2002 is still being played - so what else are we going to do?

BTW, things like this have happend before, most notably the 1969 NY Mets.

WinningUgly!
09-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
I know I'll probably get buried on this but that's ok. I still think the Sox can do it this year. As of today they are 13 games out - a lot? Yes, but consider that 6 of the last 9 games of the season are against the Twins. So, if the Sox gan get to within 6 games back by that first series, they could still pull it off.

Of course, they will need a lot of help. The Twins will have to play bad baseball for the rest of the season and the Sox will have to play near perfect during the same time.

During the last week this is what has been happening. The Twins have lost 4 in a row and continue to play good teams (that is if you still consider the M's a good team). The Sox have been playing well (have not lost since JR's team meeting - coincidence?).

If this trend continues - and why couldn't it? Then the Sox just might walk back assward into the playoffs. Improbable but still possible. The last week keeps that last glimmer of hope alive. I know it's not likely but 2002 is still being played - so what else are we going to do?

BTW, things like this have happend before, most notably the 1969 NY Mets.

I'd love to see it, but even if the Sox went on a run similar to the one Oakland is on now, it might not be enough this late in the season. I'm glad this team is finally showing signs of life & it looks like them Twinkies are finally coming back down to earth...too bad it didn't start a few months ago.

guillen4life13
09-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
I know I'll probably get buried on this but that's ok. I still think the Sox can do it this year. As of today they are 13 games out - a lot? Yes, but consider that 6 of the last 9 games of the season are against the Twins. So, if the Sox gan get to within 6 games back by that first series, they could still pull it off.

Of course, they will need a lot of help. The Twins will have to play bad baseball for the rest of the season and the Sox will have to play near perfect during the same time.

During the last week this is what has been happening. The Twins have lost 4 in a row and continue to play good teams (that is if you still consider the M's a good team). The Sox have been playing well (have not lost since JR's team meeting - coincidence?).

If this trend continues - and why couldn't it? Then the Sox just might walk back assward into the playoffs. Improbable but still possible. The last week keeps that last glimmer of hope alive. I know it's not likely but 2002 is still being played - so what else are we going to do?

BTW, things like this have happend before, most notably the 1969 NY Mets.

it's refreshing to see optimism again. i'd love if it would happen, but... realistically: no way (imho). but i'm gonna keep watching them when i can. it's possible, so i'm gonna root for them.

rmusacch
09-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
I know I'll probably get buried on this but that's ok. I still think the Sox can do it this year. As of today they are 13 games out - a lot? Yes, but consider that 6 of the last 9 games of the season are against the Twins. So, if the Sox gan get to within 6 games back by that first series, they could still pull it off.

Of course, they will need a lot of help. The Twins will have to play bad baseball for the rest of the season and the Sox will have to play near perfect during the same time.

During the last week this is what has been happening. The Twins have lost 4 in a row and continue to play good teams (that is if you still consider the M's a good team). The Sox have been playing well (have not lost since JR's team meeting - coincidence?).

If this trend continues - and why couldn't it? Then the Sox just might walk back assward into the playoffs. Improbable but still possible. The last week keeps that last glimmer of hope alive. I know it's not likely but 2002 is still being played - so what else are we going to do?

BTW, things like this have happend before, most notably the 1969 NY Mets.

I would love to see but just don't see it happening. The Sox have been playing crappy teams during this run.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Everone can dream.

BuehrleACE56
09-02-2002, 11:52 AM
It would be wonderful to see them make a run and somehow beat out the Twins for a playoff spot. I can't see it happening though. Even if it did happen, we would get mauled and humiliated in the playoffs. It wouldn't be pretty.

WhiteSoxWinner
09-02-2002, 11:58 AM
If this streak occurred in early August or (better yet) mid-July, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, we basically have to sweep the Twins, and I just don't see that happening. But a nice thought anyway.

MarqSox
09-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Did I just wake up from a coma or is this still 2002?

Jjav829
09-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Did I just wake up from a coma or is this still 2002?

Must have been a coma. I'll get you caught up. After a brutal 2002 season the Sox went out in 2003 to have an exact duplicate of their 2002 season and find themselves in the same position that they were at on September 2nd, 2002. :D:

Lip Man 1
09-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Let's just hope they can end up with a winning record. (82 or 83 wins) At least something positive would have come out of the forgettable season.

Lip

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Why is it every time the Sox sweep someone there is at least 1 person who says they're going to win teh division? :?:

Jjav829
09-02-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Why is it every time the Sox sweep someone there is at least 1 person who says they're going to win teh division? :?:

Because when you sweep a team as great as Detroit, it just makes you feel that the team is really good, and capable of coming back to win the division away from those sorry Twins.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Because when you sweep a team as great as Detroit, it just makes you feel that the team is really good, and capable of coming back to win the division away from those sorry Twins.

LOL!

kingpin_rcs
09-02-2002, 12:57 PM
LOL!!
While my original post would make more sense if it were titled "2002 Not over", the original title "2003 Not over" is still correct. 2003 is NOT over (in fact it has not yet begin).

off topic: just got done watching "The Rookie" - not bad.

CuckTheFubs
09-02-2002, 02:29 PM
As silly as this comeback may sound remember that just a couple weeks ago the Cubune had a full page article on how the Cubbies were still in the race. Around that time Chimp was also spewing that BS too. Funny thing is though that Chimp had earlier proclaimed that the Sox were out of it.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs
As silly as this comeback may sound remember that just a couple weeks ago the Cubune had a full page article on how the Cubbies were still in the race. Around that time Chimp was also spewing that BS too. Funny thing is though that Chimp had earlier proclaimed that the Sox were out of it.

How can this guy talk like this and still be on TV. Last time I looked the Flubbs are 22 games under .500. They're almost at the point where they could run the table and still be a losing team. **** this guy.

CubKilla
09-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Does :bluerock come in Sox flavor now too?

ChiSoxBobette
09-02-2002, 06:43 PM
How about we just get to .500 first. I'd be happy with that then we can start dreaming, because if we get to within 6 games then the twinkies whole year was just a big joke on the White Sox it would prove the twinkies we're playing way over thier heads. Which after watching them play those 2 series at Comiskey against us I really don't think they were but who knows stranger things have come to pass, but like I said lets get to .500 first.
Go White Sox
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Twins8791
09-03-2002, 02:12 AM
Restraint off, for one post.

Twins magic number: 13
Sox magic word: delusional

All this means is that the Twins will now have a better chance to clinch AGAINST the Sox. Just think of that!

2003?!? Sheesh.

DVG
09-03-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Restraint off, for one post.

Twins magic number: 13
Sox magic word: delusional

All this means is that the Twins will now have a better chance to clinch AGAINST the Sox. Just think of that!

2003?!? Sheesh.

Gee, Twins boy. Maybe you'd like it better if everyone on this board threw up their arms and groaned that we should all give
up and bow at the awesome might of the Twins. Oh, Oh. We
give up. What's the use? Oh, oh.

Do I think the Sox will overtake the Twins? No. They are too far
out of it and they are not the better team. But since when is having a little optimism "delusional?" If you ask me, it's refreshing and fun to read posts like that, even if I disagree with them.
I like it that not everyone on this board is a groaning, moaning
chronic depressive.

Chisox_cali
09-03-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by DVG

I like it that not everyone on this board is a groaning, moaning
chronic depressive.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Chisox_cali
09-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Restraint off, for one post.

Twins magic number: 13
Sox magic word: delusional

All this means is that the Twins will now have a better chance to clinch AGAINST the Sox. Just think of that!

2003?!? Sheesh.

:troll

Well I think delusional is a word that would describe someone who thinks the Twins will even make it out of the first round. We just saw the A's just manhandle and beat them in everyway even getting to that awesome presence of Everyday Eddie. Doesn't he have like 3 blown saves against the A's this year? And if you don't play the A's you get the Yanks so it doesn't get much easier.

longshot7
09-03-2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

yeah, 85 years will do that to you.

ChiSoxBobette
09-03-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Restraint off, for one post.

Twins magic number: 13
Sox magic word: delusional

All this means is that the Twins will now have a better chance to clinch AGAINST the Sox. Just think of that!

2003?!? Sheesh.
Sept. 2nd 2002 - Seattle Mariners 5 , Minn. Twinkies 2
OH NO!
HEY TWINKIE BOY - CLINCH THIS
GO WHITE SOX
:)

RedPinStripes
09-03-2002, 06:52 AM
The twinkie fan might learn to hate the Sox next year. All this team might need is a new Manager and young hungry players to put an ass-whoopin on the twinkies.

kingpin_rcs
09-03-2002, 10:49 AM
I believe in "never stop fighting till the fight is done". As long as there is a mathamatical chance and the team is playing well then I say why not. After all, why are we in this?

However, if it's not to be then I kind of hope that the Twins do clinch the central against the Sox, perhaps the image of the Twins partying on the infield (of Comiskey - god forbid!) will fuel the hunger of the rookies and the veterans and the front office for 2003.