PDA

View Full Version : Maggs-Frank Spat?

Viva Magglio
09-01-2002, 09:36 PM
I was in St. Louis on Saturday and did not see that day's game. As I was driving home from St. Louis today, I was listening to the game and heard Farmer say that Mágglio Ordóńez and Frank Thomas had a shouting match over Frank not scoring on Mágglio's at bat.

What happened here?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I was in St. Louis on Saturday and did not see that day's game. As I was driving home from St. Louis today, I was listening to the game and heard Farmer say that Mágglio Ordóńez and Frank Thomas had a shouting match over Frank not scoring on Mágglio's at bat.

What happened here?

What happened is that Maggs is sick of Skirt not pulling his considerable weight this year. Can we really blame him?

guillen4life13
09-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
What happened is that Maggs is sick of Skirt not pulling his considerable weight this year. Can we really blame him?

no comment... but i think that if you're gonna keep dissing frank ---when it seems apparent that you either didn't see or hear that play--- go diss him in a thread that's already been dedicated to the topic. this one's about whatever happened.

DVG
09-01-2002, 10:35 PM

Nukey is now as predictable as a Pavlovian dog and Jay Mariotti.
Every time someone mentions the name "Frank Thomas" he's
there, fangs at the ready, with "Skirt! Skirt! Skirt!" He must
have Tourette's Syndrome or something.

I also heard that the other night he was watching an old TV
program and Danny Thomas came on screen. Word is that Nukey
snarled "His name's Thomas!! Gotta be a Skirt!!!"

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by DVG

With the way he's been on Frank, I wouldn't be surprised if it really was Moronotti behind that moniker. Like Jay, Nuke's puke is equally old and tired...

voodoochile
09-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

no comment... but i think that if you're gonna keep dissing frank ---when it seems apparent that you either didn't see or hear that play--- go diss him in a thread that's already been dedicated to the topic. this one's about whatever happened.

Originally posted by DVG

Every time someone mentions the name "Frank Thomas" he's
there, fangs at the ready, with "Skirt! Skirt! Skirt!" He must
have Tourette's Syndrome or something.

I also heard that the other night he was watching an old TV
program and Danny Thomas came on screen. Word is that Nukey
snarled "His name's Thomas!! Gotta be a Skirt!!!"

Originally posted by Kilroy

With the way he's been on Frank, I wouldn't be surprised if it really was Moronotti behind that moniker. Like Jay, Nuke's puke is equally old and tired...

He's just trying to get a rise out of people. Try ignoring it, it works for me...

LongDistanceFan
09-01-2002, 10:53 PM
ref to nuke comments, its just the same as poster attacking other certain players, like royce, howry when he was here, some attacking jose, etc..... should he be blame for his dislike of one player, when others have done the same to other players.

ref to the org post, i guess none really knows what really happen as i haven't heard of it till now. this is interesting considering big franks performance today.

doublem23
09-01-2002, 11:02 PM

Did you see the play?

Maggs hit a soft fly ball to shallow right field (where, yes, Robert Fick - who happens to lead the American League in outfield assists was playing). Fick made a PERFECT throw that would have pegged Frank by 15-20 feet.

*Gasp!*

Frank made the right move (he scored on the next fly ball to deep center).

If he had run (and subsequently gotten thrown out), you'd have been bitching about that ****.

*If* this really happened, then... Maggs... Shut the **** up. He scored the run. Don't get in the habit of worrying about your own damn stats. That'll make me turn on you REAL fast.

Yikes, some people wouldn't recognize good baseball if it came up and bit them in the ass.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He's just trying to get a rise out of people. Try ignoring it, it works for me...

Everyone sees me calling him "skirt" and gets all mad, but not one person here will stand up and try to dispute what I said about him not pulling his weight. Criticizing me for using the term "skirt" is a cheap way to avoid the facts here.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Did you see the play?

Maggs hit a soft fly ball to shallow right field (where, yes, Robert Fick - who happens to lead the American League in outfield assists was playing). Fick made a PERFECT throw that would have pegged Frank by 15-20 feet.

*Gasp!*

If he had run (and subsequently gotten thrown out), you'd have been bitching about that ****.

*If* this really happened, then... Maggs... Shut the **** up. He scored the run. Don't get in the habit of worrying about your own damn stats. That'll make me turn on you REAL fast.

Yikes, some people wouldn't recognize good baseball if it came up and bit them in the ass.

Frank actually playing sound fundamental baseball for once? Isint that what we pay him 10 milli...oops 500 thousand dollars a season to do? Sure is. Too bad he hasn't dona a whole lot of that this season.

LongDistanceFan
09-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Did you see the play?

*Gasp!*

if that is the scene, then he did the right thing.

mags was wrong on this one.

doublem23
09-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Too bad he hasn't dona a whole lot of that this season.

As opposed to who else?

Frank is the only one who's got an excuse to have a subpar season this year what with that torn tricep and all.

But yes, you've further proven to everyone that you either just blindly criticize Frank without knowing all the facts or you don't understand baseball at all, as you OBVIOUSLY didn't see what happened last night before going on another "Frank sucks!" rant.

Hiding behind the whole "I'm a crusader 'cuz I call Frank 'The Skirt'" act has gotten old. You don't know everything, so stop acting like you do.

Yikes.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:25 PM
As opposed to who else?

Frank is the only one who's got an excuse to have a subpar season this year what with that torn tricep and all.

Who else has had a subpar season? Maggs? Konehead? Burhle?

You don't hear me criticizing them do you?

The most dissapointing players on this team (Royce & Ritchie to name a couple ) have recieved much more and much worse criticism from me and others than Frank has. You don't even disagree with most of it, you are just all hung up over this whole skirt thing.

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 11:25 PM

That's right. And if your paying attention, you've noticed 1) that he's hitting about .350 over the last week. 2) the contact he's making has been good contact, not that bloop ****.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I'd rather have Frank come back to the Sox next year and suck then go somewhere else, get right, and haunt our asses. I think I'd be physically ill watching the Frank of 2K playing on another team.

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 11:27 PM
Who else has had a subpar season? Maggs? Konehead? Burhle?

You don't hear me criticizing them do you?

I'd expect to hear you criticizing them if they had it coming. The point is that the "Skirt" business is old. It's like sitting next to someone at the game who's only heckle is "you suck". If you can't do better, shut up.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:27 PM
That's right. And if your paying attention, you've noticed 1) that he's hitting about .350 over the last week. 2) the contact he's making has been good contact, not that bloop ****.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I'd rather have Frank come back to the Sox next year and suck then go somewhere else, get right, and haunt our asses. I think I'd be physically ill watching the Frank of 2K playing on another team.

Too bad he didn't hit like that when it mattered. I don't want Frank to go anywhere either, but if he wears a Sox uniform and is not performing like he should then he's going to hear it from the fans.

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 11:32 PM
Too bad he didn't hit like that when it mattered. I don't want Frank to go anywhere either, but if he wears a Sox uniform and is not performing like he should then he's going to hear it from the fans.

That triceps injury should earn him some latitude in my opinion. Seems strange that Mo Vaughn had a similar injury and is having similar issues as Frank when it comes to his performance coming off that injury. And further still, Vaughn is just now starting to come around this year. Hmm, maybe that injury had something to do with both their difficult seasons?? Naah, not to Nuke...

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:35 PM
That triceps injury should earn him some latitude in my opinion. Seems strange that Mo Vaughn had a similar injury and is having similar issues as Frank when it comes to his performance coming off that injury. And further still, Vaughn is just now starting to come around this year. Hmm, maybe that injury had something to do with both their difficult seasons?? Naah, not to Nuke...

I don't think this whole issue is going to be resolved till next season when this whole injury excuse can't possibly be used. If he can get it done next season then fine, I'll admit you were right about all this. Till then I remain unconvinced.

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't think this whole issue is going to be resolved till next season when this whole injury excuse can't possibly be used. If he can get it done next season then fine, I'll admit you were right about all this. Till then I remain unconvinced.

lemme ask you this Nuke: 98 was Frank's first season that was considered "bad". Did you turn on him then? Did you rip him like this back then?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-01-2002, 11:47 PM
lemme ask you this Nuke: 98 was Frank's first season that was considered "bad". Did you turn on him then? Did you rip him like this back then?

Not quite. Maybe just a little less.

Kilroy
09-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Not quite. Maybe just a little less.

I guess after the numbers that Thomas put up in the 8 seasons prior to 98, not to mention that in 98, he still had almost 30 dingers, had 109 rbi, and 109 runs scored, that you turned on the guy at all tells us all we need to know about you.

voodoochile
09-01-2002, 11:53 PM
Everyone sees me calling him "skirt" and gets all mad, but not one person here will stand up and try to dispute what I said about him not pulling his weight. Criticizing me for using the term "skirt" is a cheap way to avoid the facts here.

Calling him "skirt" is a cheap way of stirring the pot without adding anything to the debate over whether Frank is good or bad for the Sox...

voodoochile
09-01-2002, 11:58 PM
I guess after the numbers that Thomas put up in the 8 seasons prior to 98, not to mention that in 98, he still had almost 30 dingers, had 109 rbi, and 109 runs scored, that you turned on the guy at all tells us all we need to know about you.

That's what kills me about the "Frank has sucked for years" argument. He hasn't even come close to sucking yet people act like he killed their dog and mother too because he wasn't as good as he had been in the past.

If he can get it done next season then fine, I'll admit you were right about all this. Till then I remain unconvinced.

Yeah, why wait, we can rip on our only HOF'er now...

Ooops, I'm supposed to be ignoring him... :D:

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 02:36 AM
Maggs was wrong on this particular play. I annouced the game and was yelling. "Don't ****in move"! I would have been tearing him a new one if he went and been brawling with half the board here.

Everybody ****s up but frank, eventhough i'm not ripping him now, I will next year if he's hitting .230 and I'll have everyone reminding me of what he did 8 years ago while he hurts teh team at the present time.

WhiteSox = Life
09-02-2002, 03:28 AM
Just a quick comment here and it also applies to others, like Choice, Foulke, etc.

Anybody who criticizes a player who what they do wrong is their prerogative. But to criticize a player when he does well is just being a major hypocrite. It's one thing to blast a player when he's not doing well, but if he has a few good games in a row, there is no reason to continue on hating... as much, I suppose.

All these Frank blasters make me ill, to be honest. I'm not going to use Frank's great 8 or 9 seasons or even his couple very good seasons (compared to his regular stats), nor am I going to use the argument that he's been around for so long that he deserves some leeway. All I'm going to say is that blindly hating somebody when they're doing bad is horrible enough, but loathing someone when they are doing well, that's one of the worst sins a fan could commit.

It's tough to admit out-loud (or on a thread) that someone you don't care for is doing well. What's even tougher is having to listen to pure phlegm being spewed out by people who clearly have biases towards players.

All I know, is that there is a lot of hate floating around these threads, and it's sickening to read such blind, idiotic senselessness being thrown about.

Who on Earth could possibly have caused so much hatred towards this franchise and its players?

:reinsy
::Whistles::

oldcomiskey
09-02-2002, 10:02 AM
the whole skirt thing is what gets Me---Frankhas been here 13 seasons--and this is his first real bad one---

guillen4life13
09-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Just a quick comment here and it also applies to others, like Choice, Foulke, etc.

Anybody who criticizes a player who what they do wrong is their prerogative. But to criticize a player when he does well is just being a major hypocrite. It's one thing to blast a player when he's not doing well, but if he has a few good games in a row, there is no reason to continue on hating... as much, I suppose.

All these Frank blasters make me ill, to be honest. I'm not going to use Frank's great 8 or 9 seasons or even his couple very good seasons (compared to his regular stats), nor am I going to use the argument that he's been around for so long that he deserves some leeway. All I'm going to say is that blindly hating somebody when they're doing bad is horrible enough, but loathing someone when they are doing well, that's one of the worst sins a fan could commit.

It's tough to admit out-loud (or on a thread) that someone you don't care for is doing well. What's even tougher is having to listen to pure phlegm being spewed out by people who clearly have biases towards players.

All I know, is that there is a lot of hate floating around these threads, and it's sickening to read such blind, idiotic senselessness being thrown about.

Who on Earth could possibly have caused so much hatred towards this franchise and its players?

:reinsy
::Whistles::

thank you.

nuke... for me it's hard to remember a post that you've put up that has not in some way bashed frank thomas (in the posts of yours that i've seen, of course). If you are so worried about bashing him, at least save us the trouble of hearing your bashes, and go to some cubs board, and be pro-sox/anti-thomas/anti-cubs. at least then you're getting on the scrub-fans' nerves... not ours.

as you can probably see through this whole thread, we all outnumber you and we're sick of seeing your blind thomas bashing. and as someone else said: if you can't find something a little more original than "skirt," shut up.

RKMeibalane
09-02-2002, 11:04 AM
This anti-Frank business is getting old. It's one thing to express dissapoitment in a player, but attacking him every time he makes a mistake is something else. Attacking him without knowing the facts is awful.

I'm beginning to think there are some closet Cubs fans on this board. Nowhere else have I seen as much hatred towards Frank Thomas displayed than at Cubs.com, or some other site related to the Urinal and the horrible team that plays there.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 11:18 AM
thank you.

nuke... for me it's hard to remember a post that you've put up that has not in some way bashed frank thomas (in the posts of yours that i've seen, of course). If you are so worried about bashing him, at least save us the trouble of hearing your bashes, and go to some cubs board, and be pro-sox/anti-thomas/anti-cubs. at least then you're getting on the scrub-fans' nerves... not ours.

as you can probably see through this whole thread, we all outnumber you and we're sick of seeing your blind thomas bashing. and as someone else said: if you can't find something a little more original than "skirt," shut up.

You don't read many of my posts then do you? You're just another moron that fixates on the skirt thing to deflect attention from my criticism of Thomas. You people love the guy so much that anyone who criticizes him (and rightly so) for sucking this season gets flamed.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This anti-Frank business is getting old. It's one thing to express dissapoitment in a player, but attacking him every time he makes a mistake is something else. Attacking him without knowing the facts is awful.

I'm beginning to think there are some closet Cubs fans on this board. Nowhere else have I seen as much hatred towards Frank Thomas displayed than at Cubs.com, or some other site related to the Urinal and the horrible team that plays there.

O NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
O NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!

Its so typical. He has no argument so he waves the Flubbs banner around. Every time they hear me criticize Skirt they wave the Flubbies banner around. They say I'm knee-jerk *****!!!

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Its so typical. He has no argument so he waves the Flubbs banner around. Every time they hear me criticize Skirt they wave the Flubbies banner around. They say I'm knee-jerk *****!!!

That's a good way to start a big brawl.

Jjav829
09-02-2002, 11:40 AM
It wasn't really about the Frank's baserunning. :smile:

:hurt
"mmm...gotta love that Coke"

:maggs
"Pepsi is better, I'll beat you with a Pepsi can"

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It wasn't really about the Frank's baserunning. :smile:

:hurt
"mmm...gotta love that Coke"

:maggs
"Pepsi is better, I'll beat you with a Pepsi can"

Damn, those cola wars are awful. LOL!

:D:

LongDistanceFan
09-02-2002, 02:23 PM
O NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!

everytime i see the closet comment, i have to laugh.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
everytime i see the closet comment, i have to laugh.

I cringe.

guillen4life13
09-02-2002, 04:06 PM
You don't read many of my posts then do you? You're just another moron that fixates on the skirt thing to deflect attention from my criticism of Thomas. You people love the guy so much that anyone who criticizes him (and rightly so) for sucking this season gets flamed.

hmmm...

i've said it before. next season if he finds himself on some other roster and goes back to his 2000 form or pre '98 form, i'm gonna say "i told you so."

if he still sux, then i will bash him just as you do... only when there's a specific reason to bash him. lemme see: he completely messed up one of the most important muscles for hitting, and you're acting like nothing has ever happened.

you know, i'm gonna sound like a smartass here but i think it's pretty much the truth.

to gain credibility among your peers, you have to be willing to see both sides of the argument. you haven't shown any willingness to do so, hence the "blind" thomas bashing. you don't even make an effort to try and understand what we're saying, but you're quick to call us morons.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 08:28 PM

you don't even make an effort to try and understand what we're saying, but you're quick to call us morons.

Same applies to the frank apoligists.

doublem23
09-02-2002, 10:45 PM

Petty name-calling and arguing before you know all the facts generally don't endear others to believe you know what the hell you're talking about.

I dunno. I'm pretty hesitant to ever want to go back to a high school state of mind.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I don't think any of us want to deny you your right to criticize poor performance. What I, and I think the others are saying, is that it is just wrong to turn on a guy like you have. This is really his first bad season after being the best hitter this club has ever had.

You want to be disappointed? Fine. You want to argue that it's time for him to go? Fine. You want to call him names? That's not fine. He's earned more respect than that from a fan of this team.

You think he's not trying? He has to much pride (and, yes, too much concern for his individual statistics) for that. The agony on his face after every popup and every strikeout is obvious.

Yeah, there were a couple of times that he should have slid. Have you ever had a real bad injury and been hesitant to do things that you used to do for fear of reinjuring it? Remember that he tore the tricep diving for a grounder. He might have a fear of hitting the ground at all. I've noticed that he's been sliding a lot more lately.

voodoochile
09-02-2002, 11:54 PM

Fine, tell us what the point of the name calling is. Explain it to us so we can understand it. What is the purpose of constantly ripping the best player in franchise history based on one bad season after major surgery. Help me understand your point of view so I won't feel like ripping you a new one everytime I see the "Skirt" comment...

Come on, share it with me and if you actually can explain it so I can understand it, I'll drop the subject...

guillen4life13
09-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Fine, tell us what the point of the name calling is. Explain it to us so we can understand it. What is the purpose of constantly ripping the best player in franchise history based on one bad season after major surgery. Help me understand your point of view so I won't feel like ripping you a new one everytime I see the "Skirt" comment...

Come on, share it with me and if you actually can explain it so I can understand it, I'll drop the subject...

well said.