PDA

View Full Version : Sox Slice Of Labor Pie

Lip Man 1
08-31-2002, 03:45 PM
"We'll be watching closely to see if competitive balance improves via the new rules. I have my doubts.

During the four-year agreement, almost a billion dollars will be transferred from the higher-revenue teams to middle- and small-market teams. But there is no requirement that lower-revenue teams spend their gift money on payroll.

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who has wanted this deal forever, will be caught in the crunch of running a small-market-style operation in a major city. He'll be among those who benefit from New York and Boston tax money, but just the same, he has the sixth-highest local broadcast revenues in the majors--meaning he'll have to hand over some of that money to small-mid market teams.

My advice to Reinsdorf, having chased off his fan base by prioritizing the labor wars, is to pursue a couple of quality free agents this offseason. If not, he'll be exposed as an owner who really doesn't want to win as much as squeeze better labor deals.

Jay Mariotti / Chicago Sun Times

Tell us something we don't know about Jerry Reinsdorf! He's NEVER cared about winning, just trying to break the players union and show everyone in Chicago, fans, media, players and agents who is running the show. It's all ego with him, ego and power...period.

Lip

oldcomiskey
08-31-2002, 06:44 PM
maybe he will learn the same way King George did

duke of dorwood
08-31-2002, 08:38 PM
We may NOT be considered a small market.

:reinsy

I better get mine-my sky box needs a Sirius system

voodoochile
08-31-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Tell us something we don't know about Jerry Reinsdorf! He's NEVER cared about winning, just trying to break the players union and show everyone in Chicago, fans, media, players and agents who is running the show. It's all ego with him, ego and power...period.

Lip

:reinsy
"Man, Lip you don't know crap about me. It's about the money, always has been... Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my name in the paper and having people think I'm a mover and a shaker, but I got into this for one reason. I knew I could make more money than God simply by tanking a couple of decades and getting the taxpayers to build me a brand new toy - or as a wise man once said, 'Show me the money!' "

SOXSINCE'70
09-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Mark,
If you're hoping for Tom Glavine or Greg Maddux to fall into our laps,I qoute to you the words of Steven Tyler and Joe Perry:
"Dream On".
Reinsdork never pays for QUALITY PROVEN starting pitching.But Jaimie Navarro and Todd Ritchie,now that's another subject.
Speaking of Todd Ritchie,it thrills my heart to read in Sunday's Cub-une that Ritchie will be here next season and the Sox don't seem to sense any urgency in acquiring a PROVEN PLAYOFF TESTED STARTER!!
Next season the Twinkies may win the division by 30 games!!

:sellreinsy

TOMORROW ISN"T SOON ENOUGH!!

Twins8791
09-02-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
Next season the Twinkies may win the division by 30 games!!

Possible. Quite possible. :smile:
Though not what I would call exciting. Close races make for better baseball.

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Possible. Quite possible. :smile:
Though not what I would call exciting. Close races make for better baseball.

Ya might get one next year. that all i can come back with.

We gained 3 games this weekend. LOOK OUT!