PDA

View Full Version : What about the CBA

SI1020
08-31-2002, 01:55 PM
I meant what I said about some posters here educating me about the issues concerning the latest negotiations. Just wondering has anybody had time to check any of the fine print in this latest agreement? Is this the beginning of long term peace or has Armeggdon just been postponed until 2006? Will this really help everyone achieve competitiveness? What about the White Sox, how does this help or hurt them? Just curious, many people here were very well versed on the issues and I wonder what everyone thinks about the lastest CBA other than being relieved that there wasn't another strike.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2002, 02:43 PM
The owners claimed they needed concessions from the union on revenue sharing and a luxuy tax so that the competitive balance of the game would be restored. The players compromised with them on these issues in return for a guarantee that no clubs would be contracted.

I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest small market owners will simply pocket the revenue sharing they receive and little if any progress will be made on competitive balance. In fact, I'm just cynical enough to suggest competitive balance was the least of the reasons owners wanted a luxury tax. This was simply a method towards getting more profits for themselves at direct expense to the players.

Thus, none of the issues the owners insisted on "fixing" have been addressed in this new CBA (mostly because the owners never intended to "fix" the problems in the first place) and it is only a matter of time before they start whining about small market teams unable to compete and starting this entire process over again--well in advance of the expiration of the new CBA agreement. I'm betting the first few whines will come well in advance of the 2004 season.

In other words, expect more of the same--including threats of contraction towards the fans of weak teams.

Sorry, but that's how I see it. :(: