PDA

View Full Version : Cool story of fan of old stadiums.

RedPinStripes
08-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Check it out. (http://users.bestweb.net/~dimike/fod/comisky.html)

idseer
08-31-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Check it out. (http://users.bestweb.net/~dimike/fod/comisky.html)

i liked this on several levels, red. first the pics of the old park were cool and reminded me of how long it's been since i was at my last game there.
tho the thing i REALLY miss the most was old riverview park! :(:
who remembers riverview?

also i checked out this guy's website and, like me, he's a train lover. one neat thing about living in pennsylvania is strasbugh and steamtown, both just a couple hours from me. it's a steam engine lovers paradise. :smile:

thanks for the memories.

SI1020
09-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i liked this on several levels, red. first the pics of the old park were cool and reminded me of how long it's been since i was at my last game there.
tho the thing i REALLY miss the most was old riverview park! :(:
who remembers riverview?

also i checked out this guy's website and, like me, he's a train lover. one neat thing about living in pennsylvania is strasbugh and steamtown, both just a couple hours from me. it's a steam engine lovers paradise. :smile:

thanks for the memories. Remember 2 ton Baker? "Laugh your troubles away at Riverview. Western and Belmont." I live in SW Pennsylvania. Kennywood near Pittsburgh is the closest thing to Riverview that is left in the US. Riverview and the old Comiskey were my two favorite places as a kid growing up in Chicago Circa 1953-1967. I remember Comiskey before Veeck painted it white. My first visit was a Labor Day doubleheader in 1958 against the Tribe. The Sox were swept and Billy Pierce got knocked out in the third inning of game 1. I was inconsolable. We went back for a Mothers Day doubleheader also against the Tribe in May of 1959. I was just 8 but you could feel the excitement in the stands. This time the Sox swept and Billy Pierce pitched an 11 inning complete game to start things off. "Bubba" Phillips was the hitting star that day. Many more games followed down through the years. I feel bad for young Sox fans here at WSI who may not have had a chance to experience the old Comiskey.