PDA

View Full Version : All Rights Boys...

Chisox_cali
08-30-2002, 01:15 PM
...It's time for some Major Crow Eating. Now I tried my best to use the words "posible" "maybe" and "if" as much as I could when talking about the strike, and I did try to tell others to as well, because like I said you can't see into the future so I didn't know if there was gonna be a strike or not, you can assume there would be. But a lot of you spoke as is it were a matter of fact, so you guys are gonna have to eat it too. :smile: I'm sure I did a couple of times onm the board and probably off so here I go.

I was wrong about the strike.

Now let's all have a drink :gulp:

LongDistanceFan
08-30-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
...It's time for some Major Crow Eating. Now I tried my best to use the words "posible" "maybe" and "if" as much as I could when talking about the strike, and I did try to tell others to as well, because like I said you can't see into the future so I didn't know if there was gonna be a strike or not, you can assume there would be. But a lot of you spoke as is it were a matter of fact, so you guys are gonna have to eat it too. :smile: I'm sure I did a couple of times onm the board and probably off so here I go.

I was wrong about the strike.

Now let's all have a drink :gulp:

i will admit when i am wrong, but in my case i said that i was hoping that they do strike. i was tired of the bs, the season, and the way the prices was getting out of control.

ma-gaga
08-30-2002, 01:25 PM
yay! I can change my sig!!!

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 01:36 PM
I didn't think so at first, but i started to think they would strike 2 weeks ago after hearing tom glavine talk. I still kept the thought that they can't be that dumb though.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 02:02 PM
I agree with Selig that this is a historic agreement for baseball to strike a deal without a work stoppage first. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. I guess that's progress--though painfully slow given that it took 30 years to accomplish.

Not one damned thing to fix the stated "problems" of competitive balance will come from this deal. Baseball owners will keep marginally more revenue at direct expense of the players. How this adds up to making the Kansas City Royals a better team is totally beyond me.

So be prepared for more whining from the owners and demands for more givebacks from the players. The seeds for the next labor dispute have just been sown. The beating of war drums will start sometime around 2004.

Book it.

As for Phil Rogers heralding an agreement Thursday morning, he was already back tracking in today's edition. He'll continue to be MLB's toadie. He knows who is signing his checks.

:lynch&mcfail
"Back to screwing up baseball for all of Chicago. But at least our corporate brother, Phil R., will keep covering for us!"

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I agree with Selig that this is a historic agreement for baseball to strike a deal without a work stoppage first. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. I guess that's progress--though painfully slow given that it took 30 years to accomplish.

Not one damned thing to fix the stated "problems" of competitive balance will come from this deal. Baseball owners will keep marginally more revenue at direct expense of the players. How this adds up to making the Kansas City Royals a better team is totally beyond me.

So be prepared for more whining from the owners and demands for more givebacks from the players. The seeds for the next labor dispute have just been sown. The beating of war drums will start sometime around 2004.

Book it.

As for Phil Rogers heralding an agreement Thursday morning, he was already back tracking in today's edition. He'll continue to be MLB's toadie. He knows who is signing his checks.

:lynch&mcfail
"Back to screwing up baseball for all of Chicago. But at least our corporate brother, Phil R., will keep covering for us!"

And after all this, you know the fans will still get the s***** end of the stick.

MarkEdward
08-30-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

And after all this, you know the fans will still get the s***** end of the stick.

How so?

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 04:41 PM
The fans have always gotten the short end fom MLB owners and players. Revenue sharing and luxury taxes won't stop the fact that the average American family of 4 just cannot afford to go to but maybe one game a year. MLB players and owners seem to forget the fact that, without fans, they don't have a job. And, after the screw job in '94, baseball has still not repaid the fans for cancelling a WS based greed. When wars, riots, even deaths don't cancel WS' but greed does, MLB has alot of making up to do. How are the fans repaid? Higher ticket, parking, concession, etc prices. Pay-Rod's unbelievably ridiculous contract. Not to mention a tie All-Star game when some tickets were going for, what I heard, $400 a pop and another threatened, albeit averted, Strike in 2002.

MarkEdward
08-30-2002, 04:51 PM
The fans have always gotten the short end fom MLB owners and players. Revenue sharing and luxury taxes won't stop the fact that the average American family of 4 just cannot afford to go to but maybe one game a year. MLB players and owners seem to forget the fact that, without fans, they don't have a job. And, after the screw job in '94, baseball has still not repaid the fans for cancelling a WS based greed. When wars, riots, even deaths don't cancel WS' but greed does, MLB has alot of making up to do. How are the fans repaid? Higher ticket, parking, concession, etc prices. Pay-Rod's unbelievably ridiculous contract. Not to mention a tie All-Star game when some tickets were going for, what I heard, $400 a pop and another threatened, albeit averted, Strike in 2002.

How are the players to blame for the raising of ticket prices? Oh, and a family of 4 can easily attend a game for under 40 dollars.

The NBA and NFL have salary caps, their tickets *must* be cheaper, right? Right?

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 06:55 PM
"A family of four can easily attend a game for under $40 dollars?" What decade are you living in? Parking at Comiskey is $13. Cheapest seats I think are $10. That's $43 right there. Food, beer, programs, and scorecards not included. When was the last time you were at a game? That's not even including the high priced souvenir every family buys for their child when they go to a game. And while the players may not directly influence ticket prices by setting the value, a player(s) who makes in excess of the league average of $2.4 million indirectly influences the prices of the ticket for which we pay. Where do you think Hicks gets the money to pay PayRod? Fantasyland?

kingpin_rcs
08-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Ah, $13 for parking, 4 people at $10 per ticket is $53 but point is well taken.

I still think that of the 4 major sports in America, baseball is still the best value. Most NBA, NFL games are expensive and hard to get into. I know nothing about hockey but I'll bet that for a successful (or at least popular) team it's hard to get tix and there expensive.

BTW, why is "a family of four" always the barometer for how expensive a game is? And why does everone need to buy a program and a cap? Is this truly a measurment of the "average".

Can you still bring your own food into Comiskey? When I used to live in Chicago, the McDonalds near my work had 25 cent hamburgers on Mondays. Mondays was also half price night at Comiskey so me a some friends would buy a sack of burgers and go to the game. an Sox kicked butt (1993) Good times. Happy Days.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 07:46 PM
LOL. Now you know why I'm not a jet pilot like I wanted to be. I suck at math. Points well taken in regards to the NFL and NBA. Most teams in those leagues can charge exorbitant prices and still sell out. Why the fans will pay that much for NFL and NBA games yet complain about baseball is beyond me. Maybe because the NFL and NHL players aren't making the kinds of dollars that MLB players are making. In Chicago at least, NHL is the most expensive ticket. "Dollar" Bill Wirtz raised prices almost every year over the past few years, despite no impactful player signings or playoff appearances. And the response from Hawks fans has been less people at the gate.

"Family of four" is the barometer because the "typical American family" has 2-point-something kids on average. 2 is used to sway the average down a bit. It would be more if they averaged it up to 3.

As far as bringing your own food to the ballpark..... I tried once and was not allowed to. This was post September 11th so maybe that had something to do with it. Beverages are a no no too. Maybe it was just my experience but this was done for the Saturday Sox-Cubs game at Comiskey this year.

MarkEdward
08-30-2002, 07:48 PM
"A family of four can easily attend a game for under $40 dollars?" What decade are you living in? Parking at Comiskey is $13. Cheapest seats I think are $10. That's $43 right there.

Half-Price Mondays and Tuesdays are your friend. 6$ for upper deck seats, times four people gives you a total of 24$. Add 13$ for parking, and you'll have spent a cool 37$.

Food, beer, programs, and scorecards not included. When was the last time you were at a game?

You don't need to buy any of those things at the park. Go eat before the game. Don't buy a program. And one whole dollar for a scorecard. The audacity!

That's not even including the high priced souvenir every family buys for their child when they go to a game.

So it's the owner's fault that a parent can't say no?

And while the players may not directly influence ticket prices by setting the value, a player(s) who makes in excess of the league average of $2.4 million indirectly influences the prices of the ticket for which we pay. Where do you think Hicks gets the money to pay PayRod? Fantasyland?

Truth is your friend:
http://www.baseball1.com/faqs/ticket_prices.html

Even if A-Rod got paid 2$, ticket prices would remain the same.

Of course, the NFL and NBA have caps, so their tickets must be cheaper than baseball's! Right? Right?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 09:23 PM
The Sox have numerous Kids Days where I can easily get in and out of the ballpark for under $40. Tickets are $1 at the gate for the kids.

Anybody whining about baseball ticket prices hasn't attended too many live entertainment events lately. Like anything the last 25 years, for example.

LauraJ14
08-30-2002, 09:46 PM
The White Sox let you bring in a liter bottle of water and you can bring food into the park. The last game I was at, a family
had a shopping bag full of juice boxes, chips and peanuts.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 11:10 PM
So the price of tickets has nothing to do with player salaries? Wow. Learn something new everyday. I wonder where all that money goes then. Certainly not the Chicago White Sox product we see on the field this year I guess.

TornLabrum
08-31-2002, 12:14 AM
So the price of tickets has nothing to do with player salaries? Wow. Learn something new everyday. I wonder where all that money goes then. Certainly not the Chicago White Sox product we see on the field this year I guess.

The Sox make $30 million on the local TV rights and another $20 million or so from the national TV rights. That more than covers the payroll of their 25-man roster at this point in time.

Do you honestly think if the Sox cut their payroll to $25 million, they will roll back ticket prices?