PDA

View Full Version : This is the real story.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 12:45 PM
The players and owners didn't get done exactly what eitehr side wanted. They knew damn well it could have been the end of disgustingly large contracts. IMO. Thi strike would have killed this game more then 94 ever did. I'm glad the fans were so vocal about it this time.

LongDistanceFan
08-30-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
The players and owners didn't get done exactly what eitehr side wanted. They knew damn well it could have been the end of disgustingly large contracts. IMO. Thi strike would have killed this game more then 94 ever did. I'm glad the fans were so vocal about it this time.

there is sooo many things that are not answered now, like the arbitration thing. if the owner doesn't like the ruling, then the the layer becomes a fs.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 02:54 PM

They both could care less about what the fans think. All they did was find a happy place. The owners got some of what they wanted, and the players cut a bit into what the owners originally wanted. Trust me when I say the fans were an afterthought during the bargaining process.

MarkEdward
08-30-2002, 03:11 PM

I'm sure the fans played a very large part at the negotiating table. Seriously, the players just gave into almost everything the owners wanted, and you're still angry at the players? Would you like to see a return to the reserve clause?

Dadawg_77
08-30-2002, 03:29 PM
The real story is they could of had this exact deal 15 months ago. But idiot hawkish owners demanded more and the only thing they got was a black eye on the game.

Kilroy
08-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The real story is they could of had this exact deal 15 months ago. But idiot hawkish owners demanded more and the only thing they got was a black eye on the game.

:ass -- is that you?? You were spouting the same crap on the radio today. The players and owners weren't going to agree to anything until they were forced to. The players set a date thinking the owners would back down, and they didn't. So the players had to decide whether or not they were going to risk the fan alienation or not. They decided not.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

They both could care less about what the fans think. All they did was find a happy place. The owners got some of what they wanted, and the players cut a bit into what the owners originally wanted. Trust me when I say the fans were an afterthought during the bargaining process.

That's not true at all. the reason it came in time is so they don't throw away what was built by home run races, cal ripken, other resords and the last WS. That got some fans to come back to the game. With no fans, no money. I'll preach that for ever.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-30-2002, 09:43 PM

I don't think the fans actually thought anything was going to happen back in 1994. This time they stood up to be counted & it paid off big time. I'm really happy they didn't strike.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2002, 02:03 AM
I think this entire deal was a P.R. move to appease the fans from both sides.

What exactly is going to take place to "level the playing field?"

Answer: NOTHING

There isn't a minimum payroll standard in this deal and no punishments are included for owners who take their welfare money and deposit it in the local bank instead of getting a better pitcher or shortstop. The Yanks, Red Sox, Mets and Dodgers are still going to get the lions share of star players tax or no tax. Even ESPN guys like Tim Kurkjian and Jayson Stark admitted as much today. Their only answer is that fan pressure will force owners to improve their clubs.

That's a laugh!!!!! When was the last time fops like Reinsdorf gave a damn what the fans thought???

After 2006 when fans of the Rays, White Sox, Brewers, Royals and so on realize they aren't any closer to even getting into a World Series, they'll wish they kept their mouths shut in 2002. The game would have shut down for a year or two and then returned, probably without owners such as Reinsdorf, Glass, Moores, Pohland and so forth.

Time will tell who is correct.

Lip