PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/20/16 2005 Throwback Postgamer

thomas35forever
06-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Duke earned that win in relief. And nice clutch hitting by Jose.

Noneck
06-20-2016, 10:54 PM
Gonzalez looked good.

I hope someday soon the Sox get a knuckleballer. I really miss the Sox not having one.

tstrike2000
06-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Extensions for everyone!!

SoxSpeed22
06-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Dukelicious. Also nice to see Gonzalez pitch pretty well.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Jose looks back to normal at least.

Lip

captain54
06-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Saladino almost throwing away the game at short

Saladino has defensively taken a turn for the worse. Not good

TheVulture
06-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Poor Stevie Wright got Quintana'd.

KingXerxes
06-20-2016, 11:43 PM
A win is a win. About time.

Brian26
06-20-2016, 11:46 PM
They battled back, give them credit. Really figured the game was over after Putnam wet the bed in the 9th, but that was an incredible Houdini act by Zach Duke. Was surprised Ventura burned through Saladino as the 5th infielder. Should have just brought Coats in to play behind the pitcher.

Nice stretch by Abreu to save an out in the 10th too.

BigKlu59
06-21-2016, 12:50 AM
:bandance: oh gosh golly gee !!!!! A win !!!! Jose !! Jose!! Jose!!!

BK59

JB98
06-21-2016, 01:07 AM
I can't believe Duke managed to get out of that mess. He got the win; he deserves it. When Boston sent Pedroia to the plate, I figured the Sox were sunk.

Gonzalez and Jackson - before he got hurt - have been the two "dumpster diving" acquisitions that have worked out OK for the Sox.

voodoochile
06-21-2016, 01:11 AM

#TOTR!

:tongue:

LITTLE NELL
06-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Duke's 9th inning performance brought back great memories of El Duque at Fenway in game 3 of the first round of the playoffs in 2005.
I love it when we beat those bums from Boston.

Tragg
06-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Gonzalez and Jackson - before he got hurt - have been the two "dumpster diving" acquisitions that have worked out OK for the Sox.
Yes Jackson CF defense really helped a lot as the Of defense before him was and now is again a joke. But if the Sox were a normal org., they'd have a CF they could throw out there, even if defense only. But they haven't developed many and when they do they dump every bit of depth they have to plug a hole. Should use Saladino more- he can play OF.

This was a big win. If this can't shake up this team nothing can.

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2016, 09:09 AM
That win last night now makes it possible for this series to be won. Sox have the pitching advantage in 2 of the next 3 games, IMHO. They could win tonight and tomorrow and lose the getaway game.

I'm glad they were able to hold them in the 9th and then made it count with RISP in the 10th.

Railsplitter
06-21-2016, 09:25 AM
Victory in Beantown!
:bandance:

Though, I am starting to worry that a Sox pitcher (most likely Quintanna) will pitch a no-hitter, but lose 1-0 because a guy he walked stole second, went to third on a throw into center field, and score on a sacrifice fly.

Jerko
06-21-2016, 09:50 AM
So Duke isn't too bad when he doesn't just come in to face one lefty. Hmm. I did see a clever "El Duke" comment on twitter.

white sox bill
06-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Good job boys, something about even a blind squirrel....!!

fungo bat
06-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Duke's 9th inning performance brought back great memories of El Duque at Fenway in game 3 of the first round of the playoffs in 2005.

Yes, Duke's performance very similar to El Duque's miracle in Fenway 11 years ago.

Gonzalez pitched well once again. Ventura and Cooper wanted to banish him to the pen in favor of Latos a few weeks back.

Nice defensive play at the plate by Avila in the 9th. Saladino with a lousy throw home almost blew the game.

Clutch hitting in the 10th. Always good to win one in Boston.

soxnut67
06-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Besides the Shields games, looks like there has been some really good pitching that has gone to waste. I haven't been able to watch much lately, but that what it seems to me. Man if they could just get the offense going:(:

SoxFanCPA
06-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Is there video of the Duque performance in the ALDS that does not feature Chris Berman?

TomBradley72
06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Yes, Duke's performance very similar to El Duque's miracle in Fenway 11 years ago.

Gonzalez pitched well once again. Ventura and Cooper wanted to banish him to the pen in favor of Latos a few weeks back.

Nice defensive play at the plate by Avila in the 9th. Saladino with a lousy throw home almost blew the game.

Clutch hitting in the 10th. Always good to win one in Boston.

I think you're taking RVs comments too literally - I think that was cover at the time to give Latos one more chance- that's all

Shoeless Joe
06-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Please be of temporary the variety.

cards press box
06-21-2016, 12:48 PM

So Duke isn't too bad when he doesn't just come in to face one lefty. Hmm. I did see a clever "El Duke" comment on twitter.

El Duke & El Duque -- like the sound of that!

:winner

JB98
06-21-2016, 01:43 PM

I was just thinking about that earlier today, how Duke retired three right-handed batters in that situation. Goes to show that "handedness" isn't everything.

slavko
06-21-2016, 01:48 PM
I think you're taking RVs comments too literally - I think that was cover at the time to give Latos one more chance- that's all

It was a shared decision by the suits and the uni's to do just that. As any fool could plainly see by what happened when he blew it.

Say, about 50+ years ago, Cub starter Sam Jones, working on a no-hitter, walked the bases loaded to start the 9th, was visited by Mgr. Stan Hack and told "one more and you're outta here," and proceeded to strike out the side including the other Frank Thomas, who was a pretty tough hitter, too. Sam thus became the first black pitcher to have a no-no in MLB.

TheVulture
06-21-2016, 01:53 PM

It's too bad they didn't move Gonzalez to the pen. Then we'd have somebody left to take Shields' rotation spot.

FielderJones
06-21-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm very surprised about the lack of criticism of John Farrell's mismanagement of the game last night. If the Sox ever failed to score with bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, there would be a 300 post thread about Ventura's ineptitude.

Farrell played the lefty-righty pinch hit game with an ice-cold Dustin Pedroia (1 for 16 in last 4 games) and got a strikeout for his efforts. Then, after Christian Vazquez failed to drive a ball through the 5-man drawn in infield, Farrell pinch hits a guy with career .080 MLB AVG. Talk about not putting your team in a position to win.

The icing on the cake was putting in a closer in a non-save situation. Again, Robertson in this situation gets pages of commentary.

Mohoney
06-21-2016, 03:00 PM
I was just thinking about that earlier today, how Duke retired three right-handed batters in that situation. Goes to show that "handedness" isn't everything.

Duke is pretty good overall against lefties. His problems are rooted in the fact that he's absolute poop against the first batter he sees in an appearance.

kittle42
06-21-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm very surprised about the lack of criticism of John Farrell's mismanagement of the game last night. If the Sox ever failed to score with bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, there would be a 300 post thread about Ventura's ineptitude.

Farrell played the lefty-righty pinch hit game with an ice-cold Dustin Pedroia (1 for 16 in last 4 games) and got a strikeout for his efforts. Then, after Christian Vazquez failed to drive a ball through the 5-man drawn in infield, Farrell pinch hits a guy with career .080 MLB AVG. Talk about not putting your team in a position to win.

The icing on the cake was putting in a closer in a non-save situation. Again, Robertson in this situation gets pages of commentary.

There was a game?

FielderJones
06-21-2016, 04:00 PM
There was a game?

And a fun win to enjoy! :D:

Lip Man 1
06-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Farrell has won two World Series, he gets the benefit of the doubt in my mind.

Also just FYI:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2016/06/20/john-farrell-explains-decisions-made-in-red-sox-extra-innings-loss-to-white-sox/

Lip

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2016, 10:57 PM
That win last night now makes it possible for this series to be won. Sox have the pitching advantage in 2 of the next 3 games, IMHO. They could win tonight and tomorrow and lose the getaway game.
Ahem! I'm not saying, just saying!