PDA

View Full Version : 3 Teams Refuse to Walk

duke of dorwood
08-30-2002, 11:10 AM
ESPN Radio reports that 3 teams have told Fehr they will NOT walk today. ESPN calls this "Significant"

Randar68
08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
I can guarantee the Sox aren't one of them. They don't care when they're on the field, how the hell could they care off it?

WinningUgly!
08-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
ESPN Radio reports that 3 teams have told Fehr they will NOT walk today. ESPN calls this "Significant"

Can you say: the end of the union?

kermittheefrog
08-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Who cares? 3 teams? It's probably BS but even if it isn't it's not like 3 teams can make a difference, I mean come on. Right now Marvin Miller is talking with ESPN and putting them in their place. Very cool.

Iwritecode
08-30-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I can guarantee the Sox aren't one of them. They don't care when they're on the field, how the hell could they care off it?

OK, then if the Tigers are one of those teams, are they just going to play a scrimmage game amongst themselves? Or will the three teams just rotate by playing each other until the strike is over?

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Who cares? 3 teams? It's probably BS but even if it isn't it's not like 3 teams can make a difference, I mean come on. Right now Marvin Miller is talking with ESPN and putting them in their place. Very cool.

I missed this. Can somebody please give me a synopsis of what he said? He hardly ever talks to the media anymore.

Miller has been retired for years, but is still considered the real power behind Fehr's throne. What he says probably contains major clues to the future of MLB's labor relationship with the MLBPA.

Very important stuff.

kermittheefrog
08-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I missed this. Can somebody please give me a synopsis of what he said? He hardly ever talks to the media anymore.

Miller has been retired for years, but is still considered the real power behind Fehr's throne. What he says probably contains major clues to the future of MLB's labor relationship with the MLBPA.

Very important stuff.

He didn't say much. He explained revenue sharing for people who have no clue what it is. The most important thing he said is that in 94 the players signed a bad deal because it conceded to revenue sharing and a luxury tax and it was inevitable that this next agreement would just take it farther. Miller seemed pretty angry about everything. I don't blame him.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He didn't say much. He explained revenue sharing for people who have no clue what it is. The most important thing he said is that in 94 the players signed a bad deal because it conceded to revenue sharing and a luxury tax and it was inevitable that this next agreement would just take it farther. Miller seemed pretty angry about everything. I don't blame him.

Thanks, Kermie. Hopefully ESPN will replay that interview sometime today. Miller came up through the ranks of the United Steel Workers. Unleashing him amongst the feudal lords of baseball was, as John Helyar put it, "like open borders to a panzer division." :smile:

Fehr doesn't have Miller's charisma and that is his biggest downfall as a union chief. Of course Miller is a crusader, too. His book is one of the most enlightening baseball books I've ever read. I would rank it #2 (behind Jim Bouton's Ball Four) as my all-time favorite.

hold2dibber
08-30-2002, 01:56 PM

Thanks, Kermie. Hopefully ESPN will replay that interview sometime today. Miller came up through the ranks of the United Steel Workers. Unleashing him amongst the feudal lords of baseball was, as John Helyar put it, "like open borders to a panzer division." :smile:

Fehr doesn't have Miller's charisma and that is his biggest downfall as a union chief. Of course Miller is a crusader, too. His book is one of the most enlightening baseball books I've ever read. I would rank it #2 (behind Jim Bouton's Ball Four) as my all-time favorite.

Hey PHG - a suggestion: how about providing a list of recommended baseball books (with a synopsis of each) either on the WSI home page or just in a post? I'd be interested in what you and others out there have read and would recommend (or not recommend).

sox_fan_forever
08-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Hey PHG - a suggestion: how about providing a list of recommended baseball books (with a synopsis of each) either on the WSI home page or just in a post? I'd be interested in what you and others out there have read and would recommend (or not recommend).

That's a good idea. I would be interested in that also.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
That's a good idea. I would be interested in that also.

I'll see what I can whip up. I firmly believe the best way to avoid frustration with baseball's repeated labor trouble is to read books and build an independent opinion from the time spent learning what others can share. It is surely more enlightening than spending the same amount of time listening to mindless blathering on sports blab radio.

WSI--Home of Thoughtful Sox Fan Rants!

:)

whitesoxwilkes
08-30-2002, 03:06 PM
I'll tell you this, by sheer coincidence, i started "Lords of the Realm" earlier this week after letting it grow mold on my shelf for a few months, it's been pretty hard to put down.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 03:47 PM

Very important stuff.

He also said that, before a deal was done, that ESPN was full of baloney. He said that it was irresponsible of ESPN to report that 3 MLB teams will refuse to walk. He wanted to know which 3 teams it was..... considering each team a few weeks back voted unanimously to Strike if an agreement hadn't been reached by August 30th.

MarkEdward
08-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Doug Pappas has a "bookstore" of sorts on his web page. Any recommendation from Pappas is a positive.

I do agree on Lords of the Realm. Great book if you'd like to know the management and labor history of MLB (although the book ends before the '94 Strike).

DVG
08-31-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I'll tell you this, by sheer coincidence, i started "Lords of the Realm" earlier this week after letting it grow mold on my shelf for a few months, it's been pretty hard to put down.

You won't be disappointed. It is a terrific book. Heylar devotes
a few pages to the 1977 South Side Hitmen and how their
amazing success turned the baseball world on its ear. He notes
that at one point the '77 team had a better record than George's
Rolls Royce Yankees, Reggie Jackson and all. Pretty amazing
(and painful) to imagine what might have been had the White
Sox been able to win anything that year.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2002, 08:07 AM
Did ESPN (or anyone else) ever divulge who the three alledged teams of mutineers were? I never heard anything more about this.

I'm guessing one of them was Colangelo's Diamondbacks. He went out of his way to keep his team informed about the issues. Funny how an owner who wants to win championships also cares about his players. Fans of his four year-old expansion team already have a championship under their belt, too.

I'm sure the Sox wanted to get back to work after the chairman's clubhouse tirade.

:ohno
"We're wandering in circles--for 22 years with Reinsdorf."

:reinsy
"I won't be satisfied till every fan, ballplayer, and sportswriter bows before my majesty!"

ma-gaga
08-31-2002, 11:03 AM
It wouldn't have surprised me if this 'rumor' was just a fabrication created by the owners to try to splinter the players union.

That being said, rumor has it that because of the Cubs 2pm game, if they had already started warmups before the labor agreement was announced, they (the Cubs) planned on playing. No response by the Cardinals...

Local speculation says that the Twins may have been one of the teams.

I truly doubt any team would have 'crossed the picket line.' The owners would have been grasping at straws.

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2002, 11:26 AM
steve finely of the arz diamondback said that it wasn't his team and said that all teams were on a conference call. all were ready to strike and not one team or in this case 3 teams mention that they would not strike.

but then again, why would he tell espn otherwise.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
...but then again, why would he tell espn otherwise.

Why? Because somebody from the management side started a false rumor that ESPN ran with.

If Finley was telling a lie, it would be easy to confirm since he claimed all the teams were on the same conference call. 29 other player reps would LOVE to reveal the true story about a lying turncoat.

I believe him.

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2002, 08:36 PM

Why? Because somebody from the management side started a false rumor that ESPN ran with.

If Finley was telling a lie, it would be easy to confirm since he claimed all the teams were on the same conference call. 29 other player reps would LOVE to reveal the true story about a lying turncoat.

I believe him.

and i do too, i guess i should have put that in teal.