PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reinsdorf loves us all


bc2k
08-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Since I've been posting here, I've read many opinions against Jerry Reinsdorf. I don't understand why he is so hated among White Sox fans. I'm not disagreeing with that point of view, I just don't understand why. Maybe because of my youth and optimism (only been religiously following the Sox since the 2000 season) but I have not witnessed any big errors an owner could make.

Judging from what the press and Sox players have said about their meeting, he's just a pissed off fan who wants to see his team win. I like that kind of passion and cajones to talk to the men directly.

Despite the poor ballpark he gave us, I like the fact that he kept my team in my city.

On the radio I heard some Sox beat writers say how close JR is to Bud Selig and because of that the Sox aren't a target for contraction and could be why the MLB didn't step in the Shouldergate trade. Even though I'm not a fan of Selig's, I like that JR is.

But I guess the bottom line against JR is he has never brought World Series to the South Side. Maybe I'm missing some things JR did in the past, but from what I've seen I think he's a capable owner.

Daver
08-29-2002, 10:13 PM
Prepare to get buried on this one,you have been warned.

bc2k
08-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by daver
Prepare to get buried on this one,you have been warned.

The point of my thread was to hear different opinions on Reinsdorf. I kind of wanted to get buried. I wanted to hear facts I might not have been aware of. Thanks for the unnecessary warning, but I wasn't calling anybody out.

TornLabrum
08-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by bc2k


The point of my thread was to hear different opinions on Reinsdorf. I kind of wanted to get buried. I wanted to hear facts I might not have been aware of. Thanks for the unnecessary warning, but I wasn't calling anybody out.

You can start by going to the archives and looking up the column I wrote that was an open letter to The Chairman.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Since I've been posting here, I've read many opinions against Jerry Reinsdorf. I don't understand why he is so hated among White Sox fans. I'm not disagreeing with that point of view, I just don't understand why. Maybe because of my youth and optimism (only been religiously following the Sox since the 2000 season) but I have not witnessed any big errors an owner could make.

Judging from what the press and Sox players have said about their meeting, he's just a pissed off fan who wants to see his team win. I like that kind of passion and cajones to talk to the men directly.

Despite the poor ballpark he gave us, I like the fact that he kept my team in my city.

On the radio I heard some Sox beat writers say how close JR is to Bud Selig and because of that the Sox aren't a target for contraction and could be why the MLB didn't step in the Shouldergate trade. Even though I'm not a fan of Selig's, I like that JR is.

But I guess the bottom line against JR is he has never brought World Series to the South Side. Maybe I'm missing some things JR did in the past, but from what I've seen I think he's a capable owner.

Tell me you forgot to put this post in teal bc2k. Please tell me that this is the case. The open letter to the Chairman is a good start TL. I prefer to start with JR's being one of the "spearhead" owners for 1994's strike when the White Sox were in first place when the strike began. In all my 27 years of life, that was the White Sox's best chance at a WS appearance albeit possibly 1983..... had the League Championship Series been 7 games instead of 5 games at the time. JR chose greed over championships. Not to mention that terrible ballpark he chose for us to pay for. Oh yeah, that "Anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy" comment shortly after the announcement of the White Flag trade still sticks in my craw too. Not signing proven, VETERAN pitching to long term contracts bothers me too. And blaming the fans for the crap that is out on the field this year..... I could go on. I think I'll stop now before I have a 12 page post.

WinningUgly!
08-30-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by bc2k


The point of my thread was to hear different opinions on Reinsdorf. I kind of wanted to get buried. I wanted to hear facts I might not have been aware of. Thanks for the unnecessary warning, but I wasn't calling anybody out.

If you don't get it by now you never will. There is no point in trying to explain the obvious.http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/newbrain.gif

Lip Man 1
08-30-2002, 02:24 AM
Need we bring up the treatment of Carlton Fisk being released on the road in Cleveland. Then the Sox front office not having the stones to even have a press conference. (They issued faxes to the media...)

How about the extortion of new Comiskey Park?

Not resigning fan favorite Robin Ventura?

Mailing out to season ticket holders a letter in the Winter of 97 explaining that parking and tickets were being raised "in order to have money available for the stretch run." Then less then six months after that letter signing off on the White Flag deal. (I'm still wondering where all the additional money from tickets and parking went. cause it sure wasn't on players)

That's just off the top of my head.

Lip

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
(only been religiously following the Sox since the 2000 season) but I have not witnessed any big errors an owner could make.



That is the answer to your post right there. JR has pissed the fans off for 20 years. Do yourself a favor and know what this tool did for the 18 years you didn't care about the sox before you make a clueless post.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


That is the answer to your post right there. JR has pissed the fans off for 20 years. Do yourself a favor and know what this tool did for the 18 years you didn't care about the sox before you make a clueless post.

BINGO! Well said.

If you want to start a serious discussion about the pros and cons of Reinsdorf as owner, start by making some points that are based on fact and not hyperbole.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by daver
Prepare to get buried on this one,you have been warned.

Wait till the pack of wolves show up. LOL! This could be a brawl thread in no time.

Paulwny
08-30-2002, 09:28 AM
In 1981 Eddie Einhorn promised sox fans " no more september swan songs ". Except for a few Septs. it's been the same old song.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 10:41 AM
I can't help but use this link.
bc2k (http://users.pandora.be/p0p0/youare.swf)


:threadsucks

hold2dibber
08-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Since I've been posting here, I've read many opinions against Jerry Reinsdorf. I don't understand why he is so hated among White Sox fans. I'm not disagreeing with that point of view, I just don't understand why. Maybe because of my youth and optimism (only been religiously following the Sox since the 2000 season) but I have not witnessed any big errors an owner could make.

Judging from what the press and Sox players have said about their meeting, he's just a pissed off fan who wants to see his team win. I like that kind of passion and cajones to talk to the men directly.

Despite the poor ballpark he gave us, I like the fact that he kept my team in my city.

On the radio I heard some Sox beat writers say how close JR is to Bud Selig and because of that the Sox aren't a target for contraction and could be why the MLB didn't step in the Shouldergate trade. Even though I'm not a fan of Selig's, I like that JR is.

But I guess the bottom line against JR is he has never brought World Series to the South Side. Maybe I'm missing some things JR did in the past, but from what I've seen I think he's a capable owner.

Off the top of my head:

Screwing over Carlton Fisk;
Ribbie & Rhubarb;
Alienating Bill Veeck;
Getting rid of Harry & Jimmy;
OK'ing the hiring of Terry Bevington;
White Flag (and "Any body who thinks this team can catch Cleveland is nuts");
Threatening to take the team to Tampa (great baseball market there, JR!);
Built new ball park with no character when every Sox fan I know was saying "build a ball park with some old time charm";
Leader of the "hawk" owners who helped shut down baseball in '94 with the Sox in 1st place;
Moving Sox games to cable when all other Chicago sports tv programming was on free tv and thereby alienating the fan base;

and there are lots more I'm missing.

WinningUgly!
08-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


Off the top of my head:

Screwing over Carlton Fisk;
Ribbie & Rhubarb;
Alienating Bill Veeck;
Getting rid of Harry & Jimmy;
OK'ing the hiring of Terry Bevington;
White Flag (and "Any body who thinks this team can catch Cleveland is nuts");
Threatening to take the team to Tampa (great baseball market there, JR!);
Built new ball park with no character when every Sox fan I know was saying "build a ball park with some old time charm";
Leader of the "hawk" owners who helped shut down baseball in '94 with the Sox in 1st place;
Moving Sox games to cable when all other Chicago sports tv programming was on free tv and thereby alienating the fan base;

and there are lots more I'm missing.

Hired both Hawk & Ken Williams as GMs. Could very well be the worst 2 GMs in the history of baseball.

Allowed Michael Jordan to own a spot in the lineup at Birmingham for a season.

How many more do you need?

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Breaking up the bulls and "rebuilding" as he loves to do.

Making special deals for his friends. He hires nothing but his friends. Not baseball people.

Scammed the state into building a **** hole stadium compared to other new parks built then.

Re-building every 3 years instead of reloading.

Refuses to pay pitchers.

Held the state hostage saying he'd move to florida unless he got a stadium.

And from day one his goal was to RIP DOWN OLD COMISKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not remodel it!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

oldcomiskey
08-30-2002, 04:46 PM
I cant help but think that when Einhhorn left that was the downfall of the Chicago White Sox

RKMeibalane
08-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Why do I hate Jerry Reinsdorf? Let's see...

:reinsy

"Sox fans, it is your fault that the team has not been competitive. If you come to the park, I will spend money to build a winning team that rivals the Yankees. If not, I won't do anything. You people are nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats who don't deserve a winner."

MikeKreevich
08-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Breaking Andy the Clown's heart is reason enough!