PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/24/16 Give It to a Kid Postgamer

thomas35forever
05-24-2016, 11:13 PM
Long story short, I got Brett Lawrie's last foul ball and immediately gave it to one of the many kids in the K Zone. Kind of makes the final score secondary to me. I'll elaborate more in the TBGR.

ricker182
05-24-2016, 11:17 PM
**** happens.
Win tomorrow and it's not so bad.

Brian26
05-24-2016, 11:17 PM
Long story short, I got Brett Lawrie's last foul ball and immediately gave it to one of the many kids in the K Zone. Kind of makes the final score secondary to me. I'll elaborate more in the TBGR.

You wearing a red shirt and keeping score?

Lip Man 1
05-24-2016, 11:18 PM
You knew Sale was going to lose sooner or later, making it tougher though was that it came against the Indians.

Another desultory offensive performance.

Since Texas it's been all down hill. Maybe Q can stop the bleeding and at least get a split...if not it will be five straight series losses.

Six guys in the starting lineup tonight at .250 or less and Lawrie is at .251.

And you thought it couldn't happen again offensively from last season? Think again.

Chicago is where hitters, including good hitters, seem to go and die and playing half their games in a hitters park too!

Lip

hoosiersoxfan
05-24-2016, 11:18 PM

Benetti and Stone were laughing about how excited the guy who caught that ball was!

Brian26
05-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Benetti and Stone were laughing about how excited the guy who caught that ball was!

I think that was the guy down the first base line. The other one was the shot deep into the LF corner by the K-Zone.

thomas35forever
05-24-2016, 11:21 PM
You wearing a red shirt and keeping score?

Yes. That was me.

voodoochile
05-24-2016, 11:22 PM

That's awesome. I admit I'd be sorely tempted to keep one if I got it. I've never got one though came close a few times. Alex Avila threw one to me late in the Oakland game I attended this year, but the guy in the row in front of me got in the way and then it ended up being grabbed by the only A's fan in their party.

Brian26
05-24-2016, 11:24 PM
Yes. That was me.

:thumbsup:

thomas35forever
05-24-2016, 11:24 PM
That's awesome. I admit I'd be sorely tempted to keep one if I got it. I've never got one though came close a few times. Alex Avila threw one to me late in the Oakland game I attended this year, but the guy in the row in front of me got in the way and then it ended up being grabbed by the only A's fan in their party.

It's simple baseball fan etiquette. If a kid is around, that's what you do. I had about half a dozen surrounding me after I got it. No way I could have kept it without being a jerk.

JB98
05-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Abreu had three hits tonight and looked much better. Let's hope that's the start of a turnaround for him.

Aside from that, this was one of the worst games the Sox have played this season. The only benefit is there is a chance to bounce back in about 14 hours.

voodoochile
05-24-2016, 11:32 PM
It's simple baseball fan etiquette. If a kid is around, that's what you do. I had about half a dozen surrounding me after I got it. No way I could have kept it without being a jerk.

Yeah, but the first one I ever get I want to keep. After that the little buggers can have them all.

:tongue:

CoopaLoop
05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Didn't see Rollins in the line up got excited then I saw Jackson in the two hole. Managing is really not as hard as Ventura tries to make it look.

Very basebally thing with the Indians and Sale. Sale is now 2-7 last 3 seasons and I am too lazy to do the math on his ERA that was a 4.50 going into the start.

FoulTerritory
05-24-2016, 11:45 PM

I generally agree, but in the year 2000 I caught a Carlos Lee home run and I did not give it to a kid because, frankly, it was a life-long dream come true (I was 25 at the time).

That said, since that time I've got 2 foul balls and one BP homer and gave all of them to a nearby kid.

JB98
05-24-2016, 11:47 PM
Didn't see Rollins in the line up got excited then I saw Jackson in the two hole. Managing is really not as hard as Ventura tries to make it look.

Very basebally thing with the Indians and Sale. Sale is now 2-7 last 3 seasons and I am too lazy to do the math on his ERA that was a 4.50 going into the start.

Who would you like to bat second? Honest question.

I often hear this complaint, but honestly, the best No. 2 hitter on this team is Cabrera, and with the way the roster is constructed, he's needed in the middle of the lineup.

Ventura really doesn't have a good answer at his disposal here. He'll be wrong no matter who he picks to bat second.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2016, 11:48 PM

I often hear this complaint, but honestly, the best No. 2 hitter on this team is Cabrera, and with the way the roster is constructed, he's needed in the middle of the lineup.

Ventura really doesn't have a good answer at his disposal here. He'll be wrong no matter who he picks to bat second.

That's a valid point which means the finger needs to be pointed a little higher up the chain of command doesn't it?

Lip

slavko
05-24-2016, 11:56 PM
We all knew it would happen sooner or later, right? Just don't let it lead to falling off a cliff in the standings. Tomlin gave them nothing to hit at, a masterful job of the art of pitching. Tip your hat to him.

Time to hunker down. New game Wednesday, can't play the Tuesday game again.

FoulTerritory
05-24-2016, 11:57 PM

Cabrera is more valuable in the 2 hole than he is in the middle of the order, imho. I'd try Lawrie there. Jackson isn't terrible there. If I recall, some of his better offensive games have come when batting 2nd. But just not Rollins.

shes
05-24-2016, 11:58 PM
Cabrera has arguably been our most consistent hitter this year. He needs to be batting second. He's already lost a good number of at-bats this year due to batting down in the order; compounding the issue is that those extra ABs are going to guys like Rollins, Saladino, and Jackson. Simply unacceptable, but then again the unacceptable has routinely become reality under Ventura's watch.

JB98
05-25-2016, 12:00 AM
That's a valid point which means the finger needs to be pointed a little higher up the chain of command doesn't it?

Lip

There will be plenty of time to point fingers if this team actually fails. They haven't lost anything yet.

It's hard to make a trade at this point, of course, but let's see what Hahn does once the trading season begins. If they can get themselves a No. 5 hitter, they can put Cabrera in the No. 2 spot, which is where he belongs, IMO.

I just don't blame Ventura for constructing the lineup the way he does, because they are a bat short. I know someone will probably say Lawrie should be hitting second, but then you've got a 6-9 of Rollins, Garcia, Avila and Jackson. That's basically giving the pitcher a breather every other inning. I think they need Lawrie down toward the bottom to balance things out.

And, again, I'd like to see Shuck recalled. Not because he's the answer to this problem, but because he can help minimize the offensive weaknesses of Jackson by playing a couple times a week against the tougher right-handers.

kittle42
05-25-2016, 12:10 AM
Cabrera is more valuable in the 2 hole than he is in the middle of the order, imho. I'd try Lawrie there. Jackson isn't terrible there. If I recall, some of his better offensive games have come when batting 2nd. But just not Rollins.

Jackson is hitting .250/.333/.333 in the two-spot.

Mohoney
05-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Jackson is hitting .250/.333/.333 in the two-spot.

Which, in all fairness, is better than Rollins's .230/.291/.352 slash in the #2 spot and Jackson's .234/.300/.331 overall slash.

Such is life with three (four when Jerry Sands plays) #9 hitters in the lineup every night.

JB98
05-25-2016, 12:33 AM
The Sox are facing Kluber tomorrow, and I was just looking at his splits. Left-handed hitters have a .769 OPS against him, in comparison to .548 for right-handed hitters. Lefties hit .267 off him, righties hit .200.

Eaton, obviously, is a good left-handed hitter. Cabrera bats switch and is hitting about .300 from the left side this year. After that, what do you have to attack a right-hander such as Kluber?

Not much. Pray he makes a couple mistakes to right-handed hitters. Lack of left-handed hitting is the biggest weakness of the roster.

As much as I bitch about Latos, I can't say he hasn't done the job expected of a back-of-the-rotation pitcher. Gonzalez has had a couple decent ones since replacing Danks. So while the back of the rotation is a worry, it's not as big of a worry as the lack of lefty hitting. Avila is giving them nothing offensively. They might have to start playing Navarro more often just to try to eliminate a sinkhole at the bottom of the order, but that hurts their defense behind the plate.

Bobby Thigpen
05-25-2016, 01:20 AM
Game should have ended before the 3rd. :smile:

My kids got a foul ball from a security guy between the top of the 1st and bottom- I think it was the pop out to Saladino, maybe not- Eaton nailed one, Sale was on, my son got on the scoreboard during the air guitar part and my daughter got a Pride Crew shirt. All downhill from there.:(:

At least Abreu looked good.

DrCrawdad
05-25-2016, 01:41 AM
beautiful night at the ballpark except for the results and having a Cubbie Clown douche bag (Bryant jersey & Cubbie cap) jump up and down celebrating the Sox woes.

Please win tomorrow.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Cabrera should be the #2 hitter, no ands, ifs or buts.

The team is in dire need of a left hand power hitter, I'm almost wishing Dunn would come out of retirement.

kufram
05-25-2016, 07:55 AM

The team is in dire need of a left hand power hitter, I'm almost wishing Dunn would come out of retirement.

I think the Stones said it best...

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

I'm sure Dunn is NOT what we need and I don't think it is a simple problem to solve, but I'm hopeful that we have the right man on the case. RH.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2016, 08:06 AM

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

I'm sure Dunn is NOT what we need and I don't think it is a simple problem to solve, but I'm hopeful that we have the right man on the case. RH.

I did say almost wishing but something needs to happen quick because this team isn't going to win a thing without more hitting. Everybody in the division is catching up to us except the Twins and if we lose today we are down to a half game lead. By the time the next road trip is over we could be in 4th place. Mr Hahn SOS.

kufram
05-25-2016, 08:11 AM

It sounds easy when someone says we need a left-handed bat but I don't think it is a simple problem to solve, i.e I'm not sure you just pick a name that bats left-handed that is available and sign him. But I am hopeful that we have the right man on the case. RH.

kufram
05-25-2016, 08:14 AM
I did say almost wishing but something needs to happen quick because this team isn't going to win a thing without more hitting. Everybody in the division is catching up to us except the Twins and if we lose today we are down to a half game lead. By the time the next road trip is over we could be in 4th place. Mr Hahn SOS.

Yes, I saw that almost and didn't realize that I posted before editing. Sorry. We might get the hitting we need from someone we already have. Abreu has not contributed , really, yet. We need him to play his part before we need anything else in my opinion.

Noneck
05-25-2016, 08:23 AM
It could be a quick death for the Sox if they keep losing series to division rivals. The wahoos are a good team, thats why they have been picked to win the division. A season split with them would be excellent. The Sox have not had a major injury yet while kc and the wahoos have had quite a few. The Sox better get the train on the track soon or much danger ahead.

ricker182
05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
beautiful night at the ballpark except for the results and having a Cubbie Clown douche bag (Bryant jersey & Cubbie cap) jump up and down celebrating the Sox woes.

Please win tomorrow.

I've seen this every game I've gone too which leads me to believe it isn't isolated.
That fan base is garbage.

soxnut67
05-25-2016, 08:55 AM
I generally agree, but in the year 2000 I caught a Carlos Lee home run and I did not give it to a kid because, frankly, it was a life-long dream come true (I was 25 at the time).

That said, since that time I've got 2 foul balls and one BP homer and gave all of them to a nearby kid.

Caught a Magglio home run and kept it for myself for the same reason. Went to countless BPs and games never got a ball. Would give to a kid any ball I got now, of course it would go to my kids first.

That ball I caught was on September 4, 2001, so a little bittersweet...

DrCrawdad
05-25-2016, 08:58 AM
I have not checked the stats, where do the Sox rank as far as production out of DH. I can't imagine it's good.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Yes, I saw that almost and didn't realize that I posted before editing. Sorry. We might get the hitting we need from someone we already have. Abreu has not contributed , really, yet. We need him to play his part before we need anything else in my opinion.

Too many other holes besides Abreu not hitting, we aren't getting much production fron the DH, the centerfielder, shortstop and catching. Avila is useless and was a dumb signing, I like Navarro but only as a guy that plays a couple times a week.
Its time to see if Davidson can hit at the Major League level otherwise what the hell is the use of having him at all, bring him up and put him at DH for 2 weeks, if he doesn't hack it then trade him for a bag of balls or just let him go. The guy deserves a shot just from the monster ST he had.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2016, 09:16 AM
I have not checked the stats, where do the Sox rank as far as production out of DH. I can't imagine it's good.

I'm amazed that we are not at the bottom but there was a article I read last week on how bad DH production has been the last few years in the AL.

Sox are
5th in BA at .256
8th in HR with 6
8th in RBI with 24

Boston with Big Papi at DH most of the time is at .351 with 12 homers and 47 ribbies.

Where is Harold Baines when you need him?

kufram
05-25-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm amazed that we are not at the bottom but there was a article I read last week on how bad DH production has been the last few years in the AL.

Sox are
5th in BA at .256
8th in HR with 6
8th in RBI with 24

Boston with Big Papi at DH most of the time is at .351 with 12 homers and 47 ribbies.

Where is Harold Baines when you need him?

This is why I was saying that the hitting is not as bad as is perceived. In MLB team stats we look pretty good in all three areas. If Abreu drives in the runs he left on base things would look very different.

Mohoney
05-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Even with an improvement from Abreu, that only reduces the number of liabilities in the everyday lineup from five to four. Based on next year's free agent market, finding an upgrade at catcher or shortstop probably won't happen, so that leaves the outfield and DH spots. We probably need to upgrade both if we want to be able to compete come playoff time.

kufram
05-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Even with an improvement from Abreu, that only reduces the number of liabilities in the everyday lineup from five to four. Based on next year's free agent market, finding an upgrade at catcher or shortstop probably won't happen, so that leaves the outfield and DH spots. We probably need to upgrade both if we want to be able to compete come playoff time.

Yes, I understand what you're saying and you might be right... but we are using words like probably and maybe, so who really knows? Also, it depends on how you define liability. There is a tendency to look at the offense in isolation from the defense. The two have to work together. Where the catchers and Jackson are hurting us in the lineup they are defensive assets in my opinion. Come playoff time pitching and defense wins games too. If Abreu is driving the runs in that are already on base we might have a few more wins already.

Now, would I like to see better offense? Of course... who wouldn't? I'm just not sure that we know how best to solve that. I certainly do not. I'm glad Hahn has the reins and not me!

Frater Perdurabo
05-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Barring a sudden collapse or catastrophic injury, Anderson is probably locked in as next year's starting shortstop, with Saladino and Sanchez on the roster as backup infielders.

I agree we need another hitter, and ideally he's left-handed and serviceable in the outfield.

TomBradley72
05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
My $0.02

Matt Davidson is hitting .202 vs. RHP, .392 vs. LHP- so I think he's a platoon DH candidate at best- maybe trade bait if he keeps it up.

Sox just promoted Delmonico from AA -> AAA, at 24, hits LH/throws RH, 1B/DH type- could be a dark horse candidate for the last spot on the roster- currently occupied by Sands.

Abreu's BABIP is .285 this year- about 60 points lower than his career average- I'm not as up on this stat as others- but seems like some basic regression and we start to get a lift for our offense.

Might be able to get more offense from Anderson (over Rollins) or K. Smith (over Avila), but we'd lose the veteran savvy/experience- I'm not ready for that trade off just yet.

Shoeless Joe
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't know what this team should do with Avi, at this point. He just shouldn't be our DH.

XplodingScorbord
05-25-2016, 01:00 PM

If I catch a ball, at least the first time I do so, I'm keeping it. I don't know where this "give it to a kid" thing started, but I think it's ridiculous. I'm not going to charge over some kid to get a ball, but if it comes right to me, I'm keeping it. I've been going to ballgame soft 40 years and never been terribly close to getting one.

Flight #24
05-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Abreu's BABIP is .285 this year- about 60 points lower than his career average- I'm not as up on this stat as others- but seems like some basic regression and we start to get a lift for our offense.

That's the hope, my concern is that while it's wholly anecdotal, seems to me like he's been making softer contact than past years and not driving the ball as much, so not surprising if the BABIP is lower.

thomas35forever
05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
If I catch a ball, at least the first time I do so, I'm keeping it. I don't know where this "give it to a kid" thing started, but I think it's ridiculous. I'm not going to charge over some kid to get a ball, but if it comes right to me, I'm keeping it. I've been going to ballgame soft 40 years and never been terribly close to getting one.
Believe me, I wanted nothing more than to pocket that ball, but I was surrounded by about half a dozen kids, so my instinct was to avoid coming off as a jerk and fork it over. As I said in the TBGR, I value the goodness of baseball more than a souvenir. There are certain circumstances under which I would keep it, but even if I never get another chance at a ball, I would do the same thing given the scenario I was in. I'd rather have done what I did than wonder if I did the right thing for the rest of my life.

CoopaLoop
05-25-2016, 03:00 PM

I would bat Cabrera there. Kills the lineup balance from 5+ but you cannot have your worst hitter in the two hole. It's ridiculous.

Literally any move over Rollins is a better decision.