PDA

View Full Version : Sox TV Changes next year?

roylestillman
05-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Robert Feder has posted that WGN Channel 9 is dropping its CW Network affiliation. The CW is shifting over to WPWR my50. WGN will fill its prime time with "local programming." Assuming this doesn't mean Andy Griffith reruns, it makes sense that the Sox games aired on 50 right now will shift over to WGN and be a bit more visible and more heavily promoted. Good news, I think.

Hitmen77
05-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Robert Feder has posted that WGN Channel 9 is dropping its CW Network affiliation. The CW is shifting over to WPWR my50. WGN will fill its prime time with "local programming." Assuming this doesn't mean Andy Griffith reruns, it makes sense that the Sox games aired on 50 right now will shift over to WGN and be a bit more visible and more heavily promoted. Good news, I think.

Yes, that does sound like all over the air games would be on WGN instead of WPWR next year since WPWR will be the station with a network affiliate.

Odd that WGN is dropping it's CW affiliation to go to "local programming". It sounds like TribCo renewed the CW affiliation in other TV markets except WGN in Chicago.

Are they really better off showing reruns during prime time instead of original programming? Yeah, they'll be able to show more sports events, but the overall number of free TV baseball and Bulls and Hawks games is rather limited anyway.

Speaking of WGN, I wonder what the viewership is for WGN America ever since they totally split off from WGN. It seems like they air mostly old TV reruns. I can't imagine many people tune in to that channel.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2016, 01:01 PM
I wonder what the viewership is for WGN America ever since they totally split off from WGN. It seems like they air mostly old TV reruns. I can't imagine many people tune in to that channel.

Since they dropped sports I have NEVER watched the channel and made my feeling known to them in an e-mail. The guy in charge (who is a Mets fan by the way) wants to turn them into another WTBS or FX channel.

Good luck.

I read a few months ago in Time Magazine that one of their "original" programming shows bombed but they had high hopes for another one they were rolling out...something called "Underground."

Like I say, don't know...don't care.

They dropped sports, I dropped them. Hope they fall flat on their faces and the guy in charge gets fired for his stupidity (especially given the success the Cubs have had in the past two seasons...)

Lip

Mohoney
05-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Yes, that does sound like all over the air games would be on WGN instead of WPWR next year since WPWR will be the station with a network affiliate.

Odd that WGN is dropping it's CW affiliation to go to "local programming". It sounds like TribCo renewed the CW affiliation in other TV markets except WGN in Chicago.

Are they really better off showing reruns during prime time instead of original programming? Yeah, they'll be able to show more sports events, but the overall number of free TV baseball and Bulls and Hawks games is rather limited anyway.

Speaking of WGN, I wonder what the viewership is for WGN America ever since they totally split off from WGN. It seems like they air mostly old TV reruns. I can't imagine many people tune in to that channel.

Do the White Sox make more money on Comcast Sports Net broadcasts or on over-the-air broadcasts?

TDog
05-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Since they dropped sports I have NEVER watched the channel and made my feeling known to them in an e-mail. The guy in charge (who is a Mets fan by the way) wants to turn them into another WTBS or FX channel.

Good luck.

I read a few months ago in Time Magazine that one of their "original" programming shows bombed but they had high hopes for another one they were rolling out...something called "Underground."

Like I say, don't know...don't care.

They dropped sports, I dropped them. Hope they fall flat on their faces and the guy in charge gets fired for his stupidity (especially given the success the Cubs have had in the past two seasons...)

Lip

Sadly, the demographics for televised baseball, particularly dedicated to one team are worse than bombing on original programming. Even if WGN were to carry baseball in Chicago again, it would be limited to the Chicago viewing area.

I don't think WGN would have the option of offering White Sox or even Cubs baseball on a national level anymore. Baseball has its own network and occasional national coverage of selected games on other networks and people can subscribe to a service to see their favorite team's games, for that matter, every game. Major league baseball probably wouldn't allow a nationally accessible cable channel to offer most Braves or Mets or Cubs games again.

FielderJones
05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Do the White Sox make more money on Comcast Sports Net broadcasts or on over-the-air broadcasts?

In raw numbers CSN because they broadcast more games there than OTA.

We would have to see both contracts to find out the numbers on a per-broadcast basis.

FielderJones
05-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Lip

Manhattan (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/manhattan-canceled-wgn-america-chief-863528)?

chisox59
05-23-2016, 01:34 PM
I no longer tune into WGM America since they dropped the sports and local news. I only watched the local news to see the Sox highlights but with MLB TV and the internet that's no longer a necessity. I can see all the old reruns I care to on other networks. I'm surprised I haven't removed WGN from my favorites list since I never stop on that channel anymore. You'd think their sponsors would see they're not getting their bang for the buck any longer.

OmahaSoxFan
05-23-2016, 01:48 PM
I no longer tune into WGM America since they dropped the sports and local news. I only watched the local news to see the Sox highlights but with MLB TV and the internet that's no longer a necessity. I can see all the old reruns I care to on other networks. I'm surprised I haven't removed WGN from my favorites list since I never stop on that channel anymore. You'd think their sponsors would see they're not getting their bang for the buck any longer.

The same here, after WGN dropped sports I don't think I have tuned into that channel for any more than a split second. I used to love catching White Sox and Bulls games on WGN from a far, however those days are long gone. Now I tune into MLB Network for baseball highlights and look ins, and rely on MLBtv for the rest. It really sucks since I am a fan of both the Sox and Bulls, and was ecstatic when Doug McDermott (who is still extremely highly regarded here in Omaha, of course) was drafted by the Bulls, I figured during the baseball offseason I could tune in and catch him and the Bulls on WGN. It sucks, but it is what it is.

jdm2662
05-23-2016, 01:50 PM

In the past articles I've read, a game on CSN generates twice as much revenue than a game on WGN. From what I've also heard, the Cubs and Sox offer by far the most games over the air than any other team in MLB. The average is about 25-30. The Sox and Cubs have about 60 games.

roylestillman
05-23-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't think this has any effect on WGN America. When they took sports off of WGN America's cable feed I think that negated their grandfather clause for both Basketball and Baseball. Don't think they can go back. I do know that there are some people in the blackout area that can get the regular Channel 9 on cable, but not WPWR. Channel 9 has 35 regular season Sox games and 20 more on WPWR in 2016. This is probably good news for them. Feder said that WGN currently has rights to 150 baseball, hockey and basketball games. That's a lot of programming.

Hitmen77
05-23-2016, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure, but I'd guess CSN. I seem to recall reading that the Sox and Cubs have stuck with a relatively small number of OTA broadcasts not because those are more profitable, but because they want some access to viewing games for people who don't have cable.

The Sox TV contract is for a fixed number of OTA games. I believe that deal is with WGN and that it's WGN that has been farming out telecasts to WPWR to accommodate CW programming. So, it's a reasonable guess that this change in network affiliation will mean all (or almost all) of those OTA games will shift to WGN.

spongyfungy
05-23-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd guess CSN. I seem to recall reading that the Sox and Cubs have stuck with a relatively small number of OTA broadcasts not because those are more profitable, but because they want some access to viewing games for people who don't have cable.

The Sox TV contract is for a fixed number of OTA games. I believe that deal is with WGN and that it's WGN that has been farming out telecasts to WPWR to accommodate CW programming. So, it's a reasonable guess that this change in network affiliation will mean all (or almost all) of those OTA games will shift to WGN.

That is most likely what's going to happen since they don't have to preempt any nationally broadcast primetime programming.

As for WGN America carrying any of the major sports that's a ship that has long sailed unless they want to gamble and pay the crazy 1 billion+ a year to carry national MLB games. They can try AFL, WNBA, MMA but they'd have to build up before getting any of the big 4. No carrier would pay the affiliate fee anyways since MLB games are already available on so many other outlets. TBS signed a 8 year 12.5 billion contract and they get alot of exclusive rights and probably wouldn't allow it.

anewman35
05-23-2016, 10:00 PM
We've had this discussion before, but WGN America doesn't care that Chicago sports fans aren't watching anymore, "Fans of Chicago Sports who don't live in Chicago" isn't exactly a huge demographic. People might scoff at them wanting to be the next AMC or FX, and it might not work, but from their standpoint it's worth the gamble because if it does work it makes the channel worthwhile to a lot more people than the channel that shows Chicago stuff that most of the country doesn't care about.

(Additionally, this article basically says they're doing well and made the right decision. Not the decision people here would have wanted, I understand, but that doesn't mean it wasn't right... http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/wgn-america-scripted-tv-underground-outsiders-salem.html)

Railsplitter
05-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Channel 9 an independent station again? I can live with that!

MARTINMVP
05-23-2016, 10:55 PM
One less TV station would be nice.
To know that most nights, the game will be either on CSN or WGN, I can definitely live with that.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2016, 12:00 AM
We've had this discussion before, but WGN America doesn't care that Chicago sports fans aren't watching anymore, "Fans of Chicago Sports who don't live in Chicago" isn't exactly a huge demographic. People might scoff at them wanting to be the next AMC or FX, and it might not work, but from their standpoint it's worth the gamble because if it does work it makes the channel worthwhile to a lot more people than the channel that shows Chicago stuff that most of the country doesn't care about.

(Additionally, this article basically says they're doing well and made the right decision. Not the decision people here would have wanted, I understand, but that doesn't mean it wasn't right... http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/wgn-america-scripted-tv-underground-outsiders-salem.html)

I'm sure most of the country really cares about watching 15 year old reruns of America's Funniest Video's, Walker Texas Ranger and In The Heat of the Night too! :D:

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-24-2016, 12:52 AM
http://www.tribunemedia.com/wgn-tvchicago-to-become-independent-station-featuring-local-news-live-sports-high-quality-syndicated-programming/

Lip

Noneck
05-24-2016, 01:00 AM
Looks like wgn will concentrate on news and sports. Seems smart to me considering all the competition they have for their current programing.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2016, 02:13 AM
Speaking of WGN, I wonder what the viewership is for WGN America ever since they totally split off from WGN. It seems like they air mostly old TV reruns. I can't imagine many people tune in to that channel.Like the others have stated, I've totally stopped going to WGN America since they've dropped the Sox and the WGN news. Those were the only things I ever watched on there.

I'm sure most of the country really cares about watching 15 year old reruns of America's Funniest Video's, Walker Texas Ranger and In The Heat of the Night too! :D:

LipThe NEWEST reruns of In the Heat of the Night are over 20 years old!

Hitmen77
05-24-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't think this has any effect on WGN America. When they took sports off of WGN America's cable feed I think that negated their grandfather clause for both Basketball and Baseball. Don't think they can go back. I do know that there are some people in the blackout area that can get the regular Channel 9 on cable, but not WPWR. Channel 9 has 35 regular season Sox games and 20 more on WPWR in 2016. This is probably good news for them. Feder said that WGN currently has rights to 150 baseball, hockey and basketball games. That's a lot of programming.

I'm not suggesting this will affect WGN America in any way. I'm just pointing out that WGN America really has nothing worth watching. It's just home to a string of old TV reruns and a couple of original series that no one watches. They may want to be another FX or TBS, but they're a far cry from either of those. Those other networks have a much more robust offering of programming even if they do show reruns. WGN America is totally useless IMO.

Hitmen77
05-24-2016, 10:30 AM
http://www.tribunemedia.com/wgn-tvchicago-to-become-independent-station-featuring-local-news-live-sports-high-quality-syndicated-programming/

Lip

I wonder how many prime time games that typically breaks out to in a given week. Some of those Sox and Cubs games are day games.

I wonder if they plan to expand their newscast into prime-time (aside from their 9:00 news). WCIU has a 7:00pm newscast (produced by Channel 7).