PDA

View Full Version : Jay Mariotti Column

Lip Man 1
08-29-2002, 05:26 PM
I strongly urge Sox fans to read today's column by Jay Mariotti in the Sun Times. (force yourself if you have to! LOL)

Basically Mariotti says Reinsdorf's actions yesterday were calculated as a shot towards Donald Fehr and the players union.

Mariotti also asks why the blame hasn't been laid by the owner on HIS choices for GM and field manager.

Excellent points. Ones that Sox fans at WSI were posting yesterday.

Once again, I agree 100% with what Mariotti postulates.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
08-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I strongly urge Sox fans to read today's column by Jay Mariotti in the Sun Times. (force yourself if you have to! LOL)

Basically Mariotti says Reinsdorf's actions yesterday were calculated as a shot towards Donald Fehr and the players union.

Mariotti also asks why the blame hasn't been laid by the owner on HIS choices for GM and field manager.

Excellent points. Ones that Sox fans at WSI were posting yesterday.

Once again, I agree 100% with what Mariotti postulates.

Lip

The Scumbag that writes for the Scum Times wouldn't know his kiester from a hole in the ground.The day Scumbagotti sets foot in Comiskey is the day Reinsdorf agrees to sell the team and converts to Buddhism.
Puh-leez!! This buttwad is paid to spew his hatred all over the Chicagoland area. I'm not about to side with Reinsdork on any issue,but don't tell someone who has had the misfortune of reading this scam artist for 11 years what a genius he is.Mark,you or I could have written the same column.And it would be much more believable as we truly are Sox fans,not some idiot with his head up his @$$ who is paid by his employers to write something (anything) negative about almost everyone on the
sports scene in Chicago.
:moron
"You mean the sCrUBS aren't the only baseball team in this town?? Coulda' fooled my dumb ass!!"

:sellreinsy

doublem23
08-29-2002, 08:49 PM
I pretty much try to avoid Mariotti as much as possible. I'm supposed to be getting smarter in college.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2002, 02:31 AM
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's wrong does it?

and any man whom Jerry Reinsdorf personally tried to get fired is an ace in my book. Mariotti goes for the throat in his columns. He attacks the real problem with Chicago sports, collectively the worst group of owners in America and at times the worst fans since they are happy (or seem to be) with mediocrity..)

Just my opinion

Lip

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's wrong does it?

and any man whom Jerry Reinsdorf personally tried to get fired is an ace in my book. Mariotti goes for the throat in his columns. He attacks the real problem with Chicago sports, collectively the worst group of owners in America and at times the worst fans since they are happy (or seem to be) with mediocrity..)

Just my opinion

Lip

Mariotti also goes way off the topic and twistsa and turns everything and anything around to get attention. Thats the only reason he's kept a job. Some people read him because they hate him so much. Makes a lot of sense huh?

DVG
08-30-2002, 04:44 AM
The thing about him is he doesn't simply report facts or opinions-
he pursues vendettas and uses his column to go on power trips.
So Reinsdorf tried to get him fired, so he was a leader of the last
srtike- now Mariotti is going Inspector Javert on him-relentlessly
pursuing him in an attempt to drive the entire team out of
business. So it's not about reporting news to him. He wants to
destroy-or at least help destroy- a team that has been around
for 101 years. He has no integrity whatsoever. I'll tell you what.
The Lipper loves 'im because Satan attempted to get him fired-
well, I'm the opposite. Anything or anyone that has that fat little
butterball frothing at the lips is cool by me. Mark Cuban, Tribune
Co. people that run the Cubs, windscreens, Comiskey Park,
Josama bin Valentin's brazen mockery of Son of God Sammy and
anything else that he has busted ten blood vessels over while
ranting and raving in print.

Just my supreme, exalted, expert opinion.

Div

Iwritecode
08-30-2002, 12:48 PM
I actually went over there to find this story and the first thing I see is on the right side is "Jay Moriotti Still Without A Clue". After I got up off the floor and quit laughing, I realized that was the title of his new article.

Anyway, here's the one Lip was talking about just in case anyone wanted to read this without actually going to the sun-times site.

Don't put this mess on players

August 29, 2002

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Isn't it like our favorite chairman to suddenly appear in the final hours before a strike date, close the clubhouse doors and rip the players for the mess he and his management underlings helped create? The White Sox are a losing team primarily because Ken Williams, the general manager, has no idea what he's doing and might be the worst executive in baseball.

But the big boss who hired him, Jerry Reinsdorf, has yet to look in a mirror when assigning blame in his sporting kingdom. With the future of baseball, apple pie and a wobbly South Side franchise in jeopardy, he symbolically vented his frustration on the rank-and-file Wednesday, sending the Sox into what could be a long break by telling them what mopes, disappointments and quitters they are.

It's his right to call out his team and talk about changes in personnel and attitude.

But anyone who thinks his rant wasn't done with Don Fehr's sneering visage in mind doesn't understand Reinsdorf's modus operandi in labor times. If the players union wasn't scheduled to walk Friday, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the Sox' clubhouse before an ominous afternoon matinee. This is the old labor hawk's way of telling Fehr and the players where they can go. It's also his way of trying to sway Sox fans to his side as D-day nears, though I suspect they're too smart for his shenanigans.

"We've given a decent effort, but we haven't jelled as a team,'' said Jeff Liefer, the Sox' player representative. "But he thinks we haven't given any effort and thinks it's an embarrassing year. There's going to be some changes.''

There should be changes, too--beginning in the front office. Who cultivated the laid-back attitude that Reinsdorf is criticizing? The two men he hired, Williams and manager Jerry Manuel. They were the ones who allowed Boomer Wells to turn the clubhouse into a frat house, Phi Goofa Offa, and pick a radio-show fight with Frank Thomas last year. And Williams was the one who, after hurting last year's club with the $10 million Wells deal, demoralized this year's club with the Todd Ritchie stinker. What player wants to come to the ballpark when the GM leaves the starting rotation high and dry, with only 40 percent of the starts of a "quality'' variety? The Sox began the season on a breathtaking run-scoring pace, only to sputter when it was apparent management was trying to get by with too many young or broken-down pitchers.

But you'll never hear the chairman knock Williams, even though Reinsdorf clearly made a mistake in promoting Kenny GM over Dan Evans, who has gone on to a better franchise and greater success with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Nor, apparently, will he hang any of the morale problems on Manuel, whose principal job responsibility is to make sure every player is giving optimum effort. Traditionally, Reinsdorf operatives who are regularly ripped by media and fans gain greater job security in the process, a symptom of the chairman's distaste for public opinion--which flies in the face of a public-trust business. Deep down, you've got to think Sox players know exactly what Reinsdorf's five-minute sideshow was about. For the record, they know they have to support his every word.

"We feel we let ourselves down and let the fans down,'' Paul Konerko said. "We had a better team than what we showed, and a lot of it's not in the talent level.''

The biggest disappointment beyond management's control has been Thomas, who was booed mercilessly after a called third strike Wednesday and has become one of the saddest stories in sports. But while he isn't in the best shape, you can't say Thomas has quit. He basically has lost his way, in technique and confidence, and is so lame at the plate that batting coach Gary Ward is about to become the latest scapegoat in an organization that loves targeting coaches for much larger problems. Carlos Lee isn't someone I want on my team. Keith Foulke failed as a closer. But I haven't looked at the Sox and seen a lack of effort as much as an absence of contending talent, mostly in the rotation. That's Williams' fault.

Reinsdorf only makes public appearances in desperate times, when he feels he has to spin a message for the fans. I have news for the chairman: It's too late. About 7,000 people were at Comiskey Park on a day that felt like the end of Sox baseball as we've known it, continuing a downward trend in attendance. After losing large chunks of paying customers after the 1994-95 strike, when Sox fans fairly viewed Reinsdorf as prioritizing his labor passions over a first-place team that was outdrawing the Cubs, the chairman stands to lose more fans with another strike. As it is, the Sox feel like a minor-market team in a major market. One more blow could be deadly.

"There definitely would be injury to the industry,'' Manuel said of a ninth work stoppage in 30 years. "But sometimes you need to break it to be able to fix it.''

The odor of impending doom wafts over both sides of town. At Wrigley Field, I was taping a segment for NBC's "Nightly News'' when the interviewer made the mistake of asking me about the labor situation. A Cubs public-relations agent, standing beside us and monitoring every word, suddenly leaned over and stopped our discussion.

"You can't talk about labor inside the park,'' she said. "You'll have to continue the interview outside.''

I wish the Cubs were that attentive about players who fall asleep in the clubhouse. But this is what happens when the labor clock ticks toward oblivion. Baseball owners show their true colors.

Sorry, I just had to bold that one part. It's pretty bad when the Wrigley urine/beer smell starts wafting over to the south side of town. I also think it's funny that they chose Wrigley to do the interview. Gee, when's the last time the Moron stepped foot in Comiskey? Other than that, I agree with the basic idea of this article. The problems started at the top and don't appear to be getting better any time soon. Although Jay makes it sound like the end of the world. For Sox fans it's just the same **** different year.