PDA

View Full Version : Gone for good question

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Most people say "If the players strike, I'm gone for good," well what if they only strike for a week? Are you still gone for good? Only gone for two weeks? How does this work?

nut_stock
08-29-2002, 02:11 PM
I don't know about the rest of the posters, but I'll come back so long as I can afford to go to MLB. However with the trend of escalating costs I'm not positive how long that will be.

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 02:22 PM
I'm gone for this year. I'll miss it when there's the usual over-saturation of basketball over the Winter.

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2002, 02:27 PM
I've resigned myself to a lifetime's worth of strike threats and work stoppages in this stupid sport, due to the owners' various blunders over the years and the crimes that they have committed that are now too far gone to really correct to make the game balanced.

Daver posted a link to an article that said that the owners' proposal for revenue sharing (toothless as it is) does not even have a clause for a taxable revenue amount in 3 years. Does that make any sense at all? That, plus the owners' refusal to put the money from revenue sharing back into the salary pot for the poorer teams, just indicates that the owners don't really want to fix the problems that they helped cause bigtime so much as put more money back into the bottom lines.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Most people say "If the players strike, I'm gone for good," well what if they only strike for a week? Are you still gone for good? Only gone for two weeks? How does this work?

I don't worry too much about the people who call into sports blab radio or bring signs to the game. Most of these people are just grandstanding or venting frustration. Sooner or later, most of them will come back.

The far more dangerous phenomenon are fans who simply drift away. They find something else they enjoy more than baseball or quietly lose interest--sometimes without even realizing it. These people don't take time to announce their intentions. They just do it. That's the scary part.

:ass
"The people calling my show are the most intelligent people on the Earth--give or take a few billion."

idseer
08-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I don't worry too much about the people who call into sports blab radio or bring signs to the game. Most of these people are just grandstanding or venting frustration. Sooner or later, most of them will come back.

The far more dangerous phenomenon are fans who simply drift away. They find something else they enjoy more than baseball or quietly lose interest--sometimes without even realizing it. These people don't take time to announce their intentions. They just do it. That's the scary part.

:ass
"The people calling my show are the most intelligent people on the Earth--give or take a few billion."

there are also those like myself who refuse to spend a dime on major league baseball since '94. i still follow ... from a distance, but they earn nothing directly off me. the most i do for baseball is to watch maybe 2 or 3 games a year when they are televised where i live. so i guess if there IS a strike .... nothing much will change for me.

Maggliosfan09
08-30-2002, 07:56 PM
What the fans are saying is that if players strike because of money reasons they won't be back. In other words they're saying baseball players are greedy which some are. Most of them make quite a bit of money.

kermittheefrog
08-30-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Maggliosfan09
What the fans are saying is that if players strike because of money reasons they won't be back. In other words they're saying baseball players are greedy which some are. Most of them make quite a bit of money.

People are greedy, thats life.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If there had been a similar strike to 1994 where the playoffs and world series went into the toilet then I would have been a tough sell on coming back. It's kind of a moot point now though isin't it?