PDA

View Full Version : Rosenbloom & Bernstein: Manuel will be fired

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Listening to the Score on the way into work today, and both these guys feel that Reinsdorf's comments to the team are veiled slams on the poor job that JM has done this year. Both these guys think that JM is gone, possibly as early as today.

While I think JM has made some pretty bad errors in judgment this year (the Foulke-for-Buehrle substitution against the Yankees in the game we ended up losing in May or so stands out), tinkers way too freaking much with the lineup, and has this 100-pitch-count mantra happening, based on what I've read about KW's constantly sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong, I really don't think 2002 was that much a failing of JM, but rather that of certain players (Frank, Ritchie, among a score of many) and most especially that of this team's general manager. Nothing will change until Reinsdorf sells the team or dumps the inexperienced and offputting Kenny Williams. Jerry Manuel could easily get this team back on track a la 2000, if he were allowed to truly manage the team, I think and were given a few more pieces with which to work. Firing JM won't do a heck of a lot unless there are changes made elsewhere, IMO. I hope Rosie and Bernstein are wrong.

OfficerKarkovice
08-29-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Listening to the Score on the way into work today, and both these guys feel that Reinsdorf's comments to the team are veiled slams on the poor job that JM has done this year. Both these guys think that JM is gone, possibly as early as today.

While I think JM has made some pretty bad errors in judgment this year (the Foulke-for-Buehrle substitution against the Yankees in the game we ended up losing in May or so stands out), tinkers way too freaking much with the lineup, and has this 100-pitch-count mantra happening, based on what I've read about KW's constantly sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong, I really don't think 2002 was that much a failing of JM, but rather that of certain players (Frank, Ritchie, among a score of many) and most especially that of this team's general manager. Nothing will change until Reinsdorf sells the team or dumps the inexperienced and offputting Kenny Williams. Jerry Manuel could easily get this team back on track a la 2000, if he were allowed to truly manage the team, I think and were given a few more pieces with which to work. Firing JM won't do a heck of a lot unless there are changes made elsewhere, IMO. I hope Rosie and Bernstein are wrong.

I never actually heard them talking about this but I just talked to my dad who was listening to the whole thing and he said that they were saying that apparently there was talk of DUSTY BAKER being hired to manage the Sox next year. Now I have no idea why he would want to do this or how we could pull it off, but if there is any truth to this and it would some how happen, it would be the greatest move in recent Sox history. Dusty is the best manager in baseball and I would be speechless if the Sox were able to get him here.

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

I never actually heard them talking about this but I just talked to my dad who was listening to the whole thing and he said that they were saying that apparently there was talk of DUSTY BAKER being hired to manage the Sox next year. Now I have no idea why he would want to do this or how we could pull it off, but if there is any truth to this and it would some how happen, it would be the greatest move in recent Sox history. Dusty is the best manager in baseball and I would be speechless if the Sox were able to get him here.

Dusty Baker!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy ****!!! That would actually be a great move. Dusty is not a "YES" man. I doubt he'd ever be here or take any of KW's ****. It would be a dream though.

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2002, 10:39 AM
The name I heard mentioned this morning was Chris Chambliss, who apparently is friendly with KW.

But Dusty Baker would be an awesome addition, I must say.

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 10:43 AM
The name I heard mentioned this morning was Chris Chambliss, who apparently is friendly with KW.

I'm convinced it will be one of KW's idiot friends and not a MLB manager.

OfficerKarkovice
08-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I'm convinced it will be one of KW's idiot friends and not a MLB manager.

Manager Jerry Manuel was not invited to the meeting, and Reinsdorf's claim that the team hadn't given enough effort could be seen as an indictment of Manuel, his entire coaching staff and general manager Ken Williams.

Unless of course...KW goes with him *wishfull thinking* :gulp:

hold2dibber
08-29-2002, 10:59 AM

I believe KW said, right around the All-Star break, that Manuel would not be fired this year and would be back next year. If he (Manuel) gets fired despite this pronouncement, would that suggest that JR has overruled or otherwise lost faith in KW? Wishful thinking, perhaps.

If Manuel is fired, I'd be shocked (but delighted) if they brought in Baker who is, if I recall correctly, in the last year of his contract with the Giants. But he won't come cheap, which is why I would be shocked to see the Sox go after him. And I doubt he'd be thrilled about managing a team of 22 year olds, and from all accounts, the Sox are going young next year. So I highly doubt Dusty Baker will be the next manager of the White Sox. If they fired Williams, I'd guess they'd bring in somebody like Chambliss or Willie Randolph or someone else who has never managed a major league game in his life.

OfficerKarkovice
08-29-2002, 10:59 AM

Chambliss is in our minor league system correct? If it is the same guy I am thinking of I have always heard pretty good things about him. If there were no strike and Manuel was fired prior to the end of the season then I could indeed see him being promoted for the end of the year. I wouldn't mind letting Joe "The best sign stealer in baseball" Nosek getting a shot for a few weeks, he seems like a pretty good baseball guy.

OfficerKarkovice
08-29-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Baker who is, if I recall correctly, in the last year of his contract with the Giants.

He is indeed.

Randar68
08-29-2002, 11:06 AM

Does anyone believe this crap? Does anyone honestly think Dusty Baker would come into a situation with a Mickey Mouse organization like this and a GM who can't keep his nose out of the manager's business????

BLA!

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Does anyone believe this crap? Does anyone honestly think Dusty Baker would come into a situation with a Mickey Mouse organization like this and a GM who can't keep his nose out of the manager's business????

BLA!

You forgot to add the $$$ he would require to come here.

In a word, no, I don't believe this crap, but I can dream, can't I?

:)

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Just think, Daryl Boston will probably be a base coach next year. ANOTHER former team mate of KW's. We can just build a coaching staff of white sox flops. Hell, Caruso could be up for a job soon.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-29-2002, 12:25 PM

It's about goddamn time!!! You'll hear the loudest cheer of the entire season if this jackass gets the boot.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Just think, Daryl Boston will probably be a base coach next year. ANOTHER former team mate of KW's. We can just build a coaching staff of white sox flops. Hell, Caruso could be up for a job soon.

LOL! That being the case maybe Jamie Navarro could become our next pitching coach.

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
It's about goddamn time!!! You'll hear the loudest cheer of the entire season if this jackass gets the boot.

It's just speculation on their part because of what Reinsdorf said.

You'll be the first guy complaining about the guy Williams brings in, so don't get all excitied.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It's just speculation on their part because of what Reinsdorf said.

You'll be the first guy complaining about the guy Williams brings in, so don't get all excitied.

Depends on who it is. If it's another KW hack then yeah I will complain. If he brings in a real manager then I'll be happy. If , in fact, manuel does get fired this week I'll celebrate.

nut_stock
08-29-2002, 01:17 PM
You can't believe anything those morons on the Score say. I only tune into them every once and a while for Entertainment. I heard part of the conversation about JR, manuel, baker etc. A previous poster had it correct: SPECULATION. Also, the morons did have something stated correctly in their show. JR doesn't spend money on managers!

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

BLA!

I dont believe a word of it. The fact that it's discussed on 670 seals that.

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I dont believe a word of it. The fact that it's discussed on 670 seals that.

I don't remember Dan or Steve saying that Baker would be coming to the Sox. I know they asked who fans wanted to see named manager, so maybe a call brought it up.

If you read what Reinsdorf said it's clear that something is going to be done. With him saying that next seasons' ST is going to be like boot camp, that means one of two things. One, that Manuel is gone and some "ass-kicker" is here. Two, Manuel is still here, but he's a puppet once again, doing what JR tells him to do.

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 01:42 PM
:reinsy

Watch ME tinker

doublem23
08-29-2002, 01:49 PM
LOL!

Getting excited about something from Chicago sports radio...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Getting excited about something from Chicago sports radio...

(crap)

What do you think Reinsdorf meant when he said next ST will be like boot camp? Manuel is going to turn into an ass-kicker? Or someone else will be running it next year?

MarkEdward
08-29-2002, 02:37 PM

Chambliss is in our minor league system correct? If it is the same guy I am thinking of I have always heard pretty good things about him. If there were no strike and Manuel was fired prior to the end of the season then I could indeed see him being promoted for the end of the year. I wouldn't mind letting Joe "The best sign stealer in baseball" Nosek getting a shot for a few weeks, he seems like a pretty good baseball guy.

You're thinking of Kirk(?) Champion, who's on the minor league staff (pitching instructor or something). Chambliss is the hitting coach for the Mets. He's had great minor league success, and I'd be happy to have him manage.

OfficerKarkovice
08-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

You're thinking of Kirk(?) Champion, who's on the minor league staff (pitching instructor or something). Chambliss is the hitting coach for the Mets. He's had great minor league success, and I'd be happy to have him manage.

Ah yes...thanks for clearing that up.

MisterB
08-29-2002, 04:10 PM

What do you think Reinsdorf meant when he said next ST will be like boot camp? Manuel is going to turn an ass-kicker? Or someone else will be running it next year?

Boot camp? Ass-kicker? Hmmm....sounds like Buck Showalter...

Cheryl
08-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

Boot camp? Ass-kicker? Hmmm....sounds like Buck Showalter...

Or Phil Garner.

Chisox_cali
08-29-2002, 04:21 PM

What do you think Reinsdorf meant when he said next ST will be like boot camp? Manuel is going to turn an ass-kicker? Or someone else will be running it next year?

Meet your new White Sox Manager!!!!

http://www.film.warka.pl/images/wpadki/full.jpg

:)

hold2dibber
08-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Or Phil Garner.

:chunks

guillen4life13
08-29-2002, 05:42 PM
how long is Felipe Alou's deal with the Tigers? I would be extremely happy if we could get him to manage the white sox. why use the pupil when you can have the teacher instead?

guillen4life13
08-29-2002, 05:43 PM
and regarding either 1st or 3rd base coaching... ozzie is the man, imo. 1st base and 3rd base for Ozzie and Bo. i wouldn't mind that.

MikeKreevich
08-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Sounds like someone has been bum rapping Jerry Manuel to Reinsdorf. Any guesses who? If Reinsdorf really wants to change the performance of his team, he should get rid of the bum rapper and his cadre of friend coaches as well as Manuel.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Meet your new White Sox Manager!!!!

http://www.film.warka.pl/images/wpadki/full.jpg

LMAO! Good one!

I love the commercials for that show.

"Tee-Vee Just Got TOUGHER!"

I guess Reinsdorf didn't learn one damned thing hiring that "law and order" boob Terry Bevington as manager.

Typical.

doublem23
08-29-2002, 07:53 PM

What do you think Reinsdorf meant when he said next ST will be like boot camp? Manuel is going to turn into an ass-kicker? Or someone else will be running it next year?

I was mostly refering to the Dusty Baker hype (that'll happen the day pigs shoot out my ass).

That, and I'm sure that nothing will change. I believe nothing he says. I'm sure he's just trying to act all hard. He's probably forgotten half the junk that he said anyways.

idseer
08-29-2002, 08:39 PM
imo jr has a lot of nerve talking tough to the team in the first place. didn't anyone ever tell him where the buck stops?
he's the clown who put the 'evil brain' in this monster in the first place.

CubKilla
08-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Whatever is done, it's too late now. If JM was going to get axed, it should have been back in June. Firing JM does this team no good now (although I wouldn't mind seeing it). A Baker or Showalter as the next White Sox manager is a pipe-dream though. It will be someone we may have never even heard of. Those are the types of managers that come at JR's prices.