PDA

View Full Version : Only 8 Million apart on threshhold

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Per ESPN 1000, it appears the owners are caving again. And this will have little effect on the plight of small market teams. Same old, same old it appears.

ma-gaga
08-29-2002, 11:19 AM
It's too bad that's only for year #1 of the deal ($8MM apart). There are 3 more years of agreement which they want to work out, and the last year is going to be the hangup.

The players want the Luxury Tax to disappear in the last year, the owners don't. No matter how ESPN spins' it, this is a pretty big 'gap' in negotiations.

We'll see what happens.

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
It's too bad that's only for year #1 of the deal ($8MM apart). There are 3 more years of agreement which they want to work out, and the last year is going to be the hangup.

The players want the Luxury Tax to disappear in the last year, the owners don't. No matter how ESPN spins' it, this is a pretty big 'gap' in negotiations.

We'll see what happens.

I agree 100 percent. The union is willing to buy off the owners by agreeing to some of their demands. However, they are not willing to give the owners the precedent of these concessions for the next CBA negotiation. This makes perfect sense because EVERYBODY KNOWS the owners are going to demand even more from the union next time around. It's been like this from the day the union (led by Robin Roberts) declared its independence back in 1966.

They are fighting over much more than money--the surest sign a deal can't get done without one side caving. So far, I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, I'm not the least bit surprised Reinsdorf is now being fingered by the national media as the true ringleader of the hardliners. The man is a snake. Labor peace is impossible as long as he is around to poison it.

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 01:11 PM
I really hope you are right. I want all involved to catch as much rath as possible. Too bad our owner doesnt take a hard line on winning.

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Jayson Stark, on Dan Patrick, is "less optomistic" about averting a strike. Says both sides more "dug in" than yesterday.

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Jayson Stark, on Dan Patrick, is "less optomistic" about averting a strike. Says both sides more "dug in" than yesterday.

Good.

EDIT: Maybe Mr. Stark should be quiet.

(from the front page on espn.com)
Time is running out on Major League Baseball. Staring at a Friday strike date, owner and player reps are back at the bargaining table for their second session today. According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, they're getting very close to a making a deal and averting a strike.

duke of dorwood
08-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Yeah-he was called on that and said he may have reacted incorrectly with the optimism thing.

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Yeah-he was called on that and said he may have reacted incorrectly with the optimism thing.

If he is indeed correct that both sides are digging in, then the "Wallmart Gang" has taken over.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If he is indeed correct that both sides are digging in, then the "Wallmart Gang" has taken over.

Here's betting Phil Rogers has egg all over his face tomorrow morning after today's Cubune screamed this headline over his story: "Strike Settlement Imminent".

I wonder who his source was for that load of crap?

:tool
"P.T. Barnum was right. There really is one born every minute."

I'm going to be laughing my *** off at all those Cubune readers completely confused how Phil Rogers could be so wrong, AGAIN!!!

That man is a complete dope. The people who run that rag must like keeping around so their own incompetence won't be quite so obvious by comparison.

Daver
08-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Here's betting Phil Rogers has egg all over his face tomorrow morning after today's Cubune screamed this headline over his story: "Strike Settlement Imminent".

I wonder who his source was for that load of crap?

I'm going to be laughing my *** off at all those Cubune readers completely confused how Phil Rogers could be so wrong, AGAIN!!!

That man is a complete dope. The people who run that rag must like keeping around so their own incompetence won't be quite so obvious by comparison.

The one that would really be laughing is Bill Veeck,he saw all this coming fifty years ago.