PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/14/16 Pinstripe Domination Postgamer

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Not much we could have done today. Nova was on his game and the top Yankee relievers are nasty. It's a miracle we got a run out of it.

ricker182
05-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Not saying we were going to win, but pinch hitting Sands is one of the worst jokes I've seen Robin do.

Tough loss for Q.

Need to win tomorrow and it's going to be tough.

asindc
05-14-2016, 03:36 PM
I respectfully object to the word "domination" being in the title. :smile:

ricker182
05-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Fire Robin.:tongue:

Pinch hitting Sands for Melky is fireable

KingXerxes
05-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Just one of those games. Good pitching on both sides.

Now the question:

Given Steve Dalkowski never made it up to the Major Leagues, and hurt himself in the early 1960's, when and where did Ken Harrelson face him many, many times?

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Not saying we were going to win, but pinch hitting Sands is one of the worst jokes I've seen Robin do.

Tough loss for Q.

Yea, I don't think it was a move that cost them the game or anything, but I like Melky's chances a hell of a lot more than Sands'. I'm not even sure why Sands is on the roster.

Crooked Number
05-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Tough loss for Q.

Zero sense. Insulting to the starter. Was that Melky? I feel like he trolled the fanbase.

Frustrating game. Q battled very hard today and he probably felt like he was in the time machine of seasons past.

We had two two out doubles and came up empty. Tough loss

thomas35forever
Yea, I don't think it was a move that cost them the game or anything, but I like Melky's chances a hell of a lot more than Sands'. I'm not even sure why Sands is on the roster.
Out of options. Sanchez is more likely to be sent down.

JB98
That damn two-out walk to Headley. :angry:

They were ahead of him and then started pitching to him like he was Babe Ruth. A 3-2 breaking ball? Why? He sucks. Challenge him.

The Sox have always struggled against Nova for whatever reason. That Yankee bullpen, well, they are really good. Not much you can do once those guys come in. Gotta hit the New York starters.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Out of options. Sanchez is more likely to be sent down.

But what does Sands provide? Sanchez is a good defender and a decent baserunner. Jerry Sands is...what exactly?

kittle42
05-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Tough loss. Beautiful stadium, by the way. Sat by a few other Sox fans, but not much to cheer for today.

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 03:42 PM
But what does Sands provide? Sanchez is a good defender and a decent baserunner. Jerry Sands is...what exactly?
An outfielder, but also a backup first baseman. Jose can't be out there every day, as much as we'd like him to be Ripken or Gehrig.

Blueprint1
05-14-2016, 03:43 PM
What a waste of quality pitching.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Finished the week at .500, first time this season we weren't over .500. Tough opponents on the road, let's start the new week wiith a win tomorrow.

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Not necessarily. The bullpen, with the exception of Duke, got a third straight day off. They'll need to be fresh for tomorrow with Gonzalez going.

Shoeless Joe
05-14-2016, 03:45 PM
What a bummer of a game. We're not exactly leading the division by 20 games at the moment so just win the series. Find a way to win tomorrow.

JB98
05-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Quintana got outpitched. I don't feel too sorry for him.

You walk people who are hitting below .200, you lose.

SOXSINCE'70
05-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Why isn't J.B. Shuck back with the team??

Jerry Sands needs to play every day in the OF at Triple A.

Just my .02 . :)

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Pinch hitting Sands for Melky is fireable
In a game they probably would have lost anyway, sure.

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 04:05 PM
Just my .001 .
Too cheap to throw in the second penny?:tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
05-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Jerry Sands is...what exactly?

In over his head.At least to this Sox pessimist.

kittle42
05-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Why isn't J.B. Shuck back with the team??

Jerry Sands needs to play every day in the OF at Triple A.

Just my .001 .

Shuck would have likely grabbed some bench against Chapman, too.

kittle42
05-14-2016, 04:07 PM

Actually, .001 is a tenth of a penny.

SOXSINCE'70
05-14-2016, 04:08 PM

I would look at 3 pitches and sit down as well.

captain54
Quintana got outpitched. I don't feel too sorry for him.

You walk people who are hitting below .200, you lose.

You get 1 hit and strike out 8 times in 3 innings against a stellar bullpen, you lose

thomas35forever
Actually, .001 is a tenth of a penny.
Ah, touche.

SOXSINCE'70
05-14-2016, 04:09 PM

Okay, i'll correct it.:rolling:

anewman35
05-14-2016, 04:14 PM
I started writing something about how Jerry Sands sucks but we sort of need him because we need a backup first baseman. But as I was writing it out, it occured to me that really the best backup first base option is Todd Frazier, because between Lawrie and Sanchez it wouldn't be hard to cover 2B and 3B. So, yes, now I agree that we should get rid of him...

JB98
05-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Cabrera likely would have, as well. I'm not sure why he used Sands there, but I don't believe it matters.

This one was lost early, with a horrible second inning by Quintana and the inability to get things done vs. Nova.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Fourth time this year the Sox lost a game when holding an opponent to three runs or less.

I HATE losing well pitched games like that especially to a guy with an ERA coming in of over four. It was a 'blast from the past' for Q...pitches very well...gets no help.

Seems like the Sox were swinging at everything today.

Yankees have that bullpen back together now so you better have a lead going into the 7th inning or you are finished.

Don't think they're going to win the game tomorrow so it's probably a 2-4 road trip...should have been 3-3 but they urinated it away Tuesday.

They need to start playing some home games and some home stands that are longer than six games.

Regarding Sands he should have been waived a lot time ago, if they lose him to waivers, who ****ing cares? I mean we're not talking an all-star here and you've got Shuck and Ishikawa who can come up.

Lip

thomas35forever
05-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Fourth time this year the Sox lost a game when holding an opponent to three runs or less.
I'm not going to dwell on this right now. The Sox have enough offense going for them and if they don't score much, they probably just got beat. That was the case today. I don't think we'll see as much of this as we have the past few years.

TDog
05-14-2016, 04:26 PM
That damn two-out walk to Headley. :angry:

They were ahead of him and then started pitching to him like he was Babe Ruth. A 3-2 breaking ball? Why? He sucks. Challenge him.

The Sox have always struggled against Nova for whatever reason. That Yankee bullpen, well, they are really good. Not much you can do once those guys come in. Gotta hit the New York starters.

Essentially, the White Sox and Quintana lost this game because although Quintana could pitch around a leadoff double, he was unable to pitch around a two-out walk. A tough-luck loss statistically, but Quintana had an 0-2 count on Headley with two outs before walking him and giving up a double and single for the two runs to break and early scoreless tie against a team with lights-out relievers lined up to shorten the game. Once Nova had the lead, he only had to pitch looking to get through six, and even then he didn't make it through six.

The downside to using your bullpen in such a way frequently is that you can overwork it. But Chapman only pitched his first game since coming off suspension this week.

Funny thing is that this is a game the Sox might have won last year. Against Chapman, starting with two outs, no one on base and the score tied in the bottom of the ninth, Garcia, Ramirez and Beckham hit singles to drive home the winning run. Beckham's game winning line drive single to center was on a pitch that MLB reported at more than 100 mph.

slavko
05-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Cabrera likely would have, as well. I'm not sure why he used Sands there, but I don't believe it matters.

This one was lost early, with a horrible second inning by Quintana and the inability to get things done vs. Nova.

Melky is better from the left side and Sands is more likely to tie the game with one swing. That's my guess.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Oh I forgot...more two out RBI's allowed by the pitching staff. Those have KILLED them this road trip.

Lip

DoItForDanPasqua
05-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Just one of those games. Good pitching on both sides.

Now the question:

Given Steve Dalkowski never made it up to the Major Leagues, and hurt himself in the early 1960's, when and where did Ken Harrelson face him many, many times?

I love when Hawk had the high side estimate of him throwing 110 MPH.

Marqhead
05-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I love when Hawk had the high side estimate of him throwing 110 MPH.

That entire sequence was ridiculous.

The sox lost this game because they couldn't hit. Q shouldn't have to throw a shutout to get a win.

Get em tomorrow.

Hartman
05-14-2016, 06:22 PM
It's a rule if a White Sox pitcher walks someone, they will come around to score.

Mohoney
05-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I don't understand the pinch-hitting move at all. I know Cabrera has no power from the right-hand side, but he still represents a significant upgrade in out-avoidance over Jerry Sands, whose continued presence on this roster confuses and annoys me.

Really, this should have been Lawrie's at-bat anyway, as Cabrera needs to be hitting #2 for Rollins going forward. Rollins once again failed to reach base in his four plate appearances. I know that it would lead to three (possibly four) right-hand hitters batting consecutively, but Rollins needs to be moved to the bottom of the order.

Golden Sox
05-14-2016, 06:45 PM
I would imagine that Cabrera has to be upset. He couldn't be too happy about being told to sit down and Sands hitting for him. This has to be one of the oddest things Ventura has ever done.

Chez
05-14-2016, 06:50 PM
I would imagine that Cabrera has to be upset. He couldn't be too happy about being told to sit down and Sands hitting for him. This has to be one of the oddest things Ventura has ever done.

So odd that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Melky tweaked something earlier in the game and couldn't hit. Otherwise, it really makes no sense.

tstrike2000
05-14-2016, 07:00 PM
To echo was other's have said, Nova tough against us once again. Hopefully, we'll have better luck against Tanaka tomorrow.

TDog
05-14-2016, 07:36 PM
You get 1 hit and strike out 8 times in 3 innings against a stellar bullpen, you lose

Not if Quintana keeps a team scoreless when he's ahead 0-2 with two outs and none on and the bottom of the order coming up.

The Yankees taking a two-run lead changed everything. Nova wasn't going to stay in the game if there was any question about him tiring. He was gone at the first sign of weakness in the sixth. This was only his second start of the year. In his first, Monday, he left after five with a 5-1 lead over the Royals. If he doesn't have a lead today, he either has to stay in longer or the Yankees have to bring in his most stellar relievers to protect the lead.

This wasn't a case of Quintana lacking run support as much as it was a matter of Quintana digging the team in a hole in the second inning.

LITTLE NELL
05-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Good news is that Cleveland lost and the lead remains at 5 games.
Some home cooking coming up after tomorrow. Someone mentioned that we need to be home for more than 6 games, they get their wish as we have a 9 game homestand coming up. IIRC last year the Sox only had one homestand with over 7 games with 3 teams visiting during the stand and that was not until September, this year we have 4.

Wedema
05-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Good news is that Cleveland lost and the lead remains at 5 games.
Some home cooking coming up after tomorrow. Someone mentioned that we need to be home for more than 6 games, they get their wish as we have a 9 game homestand coming up. IIRC last year the Sox only had one homestand with over 7 games with 3 teams visiting during the stand and that was not until September, this year we have 4.

10 game homestand as next Monday is a Doubleheader.

HomeFish
05-14-2016, 09:31 PM
A game the Sox were expected to win instead cemented this as a roadtrip of sorrows. Tomorrow our 5th starter faces the Yankees ace.

This team cannot afford to waste quality Quintana starts.

XplodingScorbord
05-14-2016, 10:04 PM
A game the Sox were expected to win instead cemented this as a roadtrip of sorrows. Tomorrow our 5th starter faces the Yankees ace.

I'm sorry. On what planet were the Sox a sure thing favorite in this game? It's baseball fer chrissakes.

TDog
05-14-2016, 10:24 PM

The Indians probably can't afford to lose at home to the Twins and he Royals probably can't afford to lose at home to the Braves, especially when they are barely challenging the White Sox in the Central and have a chance to get back in the divisional race.

Everybody in the White Sox division lost, except for the Twins, but the Sox were the only ones facing the Yankees in New York.

kittle42
05-14-2016, 11:17 PM

Now, is that a game the Yankees are expected to win? Just asking since it would be nice to know what you call the Sox if they win. Lucky? I suppose.

Falstaff
05-15-2016, 03:12 AM
Now, is that a game the Yankees are expected to win? Just asking since it would be nice to know what you call the Sox if they win. Lucky? I suppose.

Yes now tomorrow it is lining up muck like Cotts debut starting against the Yankees thanks to Jerry Manuel not looking at the schedule.