PDA

View Full Version : Who has been the most important addition so far?

thomas35forever
05-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Frazier is obviously the most talented one and has provided stability on both sides, but I truly believe without Jackson, Eaton doesn't improve his defense and thus, stabilize that outfield. I also love seeing him bat ninth. It just goes to show that our lineup is pretty good from the top down.

Moses_Scurry
05-08-2016, 04:18 PM
I picked Jackson for the same reason as you, but a case could be made for any of them except Avila IMO. Rollins hasn't done much, but I think he's better than having Saladino as a regular in the lineup.

LoveYourSuit
05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Frazier is obviously the most talented one and has provided stability on both sides, but I truly believe without Jackson, Eaton doesn't improve his defense and thus, stabilize that outfield. I also love seeing him bat ninth. It just goes to show that our lineup is pretty good from the top down.

Good call. The stability in the OF right now is as good as it's been in a long time, due to what Jackson brings out there.

Frazier is playing better defense at 3B than he is hitting, and I'm pretty sure he will not hit .200 this year.

The intensity Lawrie has brought to what has been a dead ass clubhouse for years cannot go un-noticed.

Latos, no one expected him to be this good so far

Navarro has been solid back there too, calls a good game and gives you good ABs.

Rollins strong leadership for the IF.

I can't complain about any of these guys so far.

Sox hit a HR with everyone of them.

BRDSR
05-08-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm going with Latos given precisely how the question was asked...by the end of the year, I doubt he will still be the most important addition. Hope I'm wrong, though!

Noneck
05-08-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm going with Latos given precisely how the question was asked...by the end of the year, I doubt he will still be the most important addition. Hope I'm wrong, though!

Agree, In no ones wildest dream could anyone have imagined what Latos has given the Sox so far. All the other acquisitions have been good but dont really blow ones mind.

spongyfungy
05-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Hahn nailed it with all these signings.

plus addition by subtraction with Laroche

LITTLE NELL
05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
3 way tie, Frazier, Lawrie and Latos.
All the rest have contributed a lot too, so far this season it has been a total team effort from the hitters and the pitchers to the manager and coaches. DSNB.

voodoochile
05-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Gotta go with Navarro. The improvement to our catching situation has been a huge factor in the team's success. Given how much of a game a catcher is responsible for I cannot select anyone else.

I do agree it really should be a tie between Frazier, Lawrie, Jackson and Navarro.

JermaineDye05
05-08-2016, 04:52 PM
My vote goes to the new churro vendor.

Noneck
05-08-2016, 04:53 PM
I do agree it really should be a tie between Frazier, Lawrie, Jackson and Navarro.

How many wins do you think the Sox would have gotten in Latos starts if he wasnt on the club?

voodoochile
05-08-2016, 04:54 PM
How many wins do you think the Sox would have gotten in Latos starts if he wasnt on the club?

Fine a 5 way tie. I admit I was thinking of position players.

thomas35forever
05-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Thought I would skip that option this time. My bad.:redneck

Brian26
05-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I'd probably add Renteria to the list too.

Chez
05-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Right now, Hahn is looking like a genius. For all the reasons previously mentioned, his off-season acquisitions (big and small) have been great. These guys are ballplayers. Frazier and Lawrie have given this team a heart/personality transplant. I don't think their impact can be measured just by stats.

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2016, 05:50 PM
I voted for Frazier, but (and I know the SABR-community hates this) I think Rollins has brought a lot of intangibles as well. He's a very smart ballplayer and this team has been playing a LOT smarter of late. I don't think that's strictly a result of Rollins, but I think he's helped contribute to that.

gobears1987
05-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Jackson because of what it did for OF defense when Eaton was able to be moved to right.

I could make a solid case for each of these guys, but what Jackson has brought to the team also improved the game of someone who had been struggling in Eaton. That's what gives him the nod.

WSox597
05-08-2016, 06:03 PM
I picked Jackson. I always liked his game when he played with the Tiggers. A very good CF, and a decent hitter.

A case could be made for Lawrie and Navarro, too.

Good pickups, all of them actually. They made the team much better, and it's fun to watch the Sox again.

I always liked Rollins' game too. He's still an excellent fielder.

Hitmen77
05-08-2016, 06:09 PM

How about the new scoreboard? Or maybe Jason Benetti. :tongue:

Hitmen77
05-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Gotta go with Navarro. The improvement to our catching situation has been a huge factor in the team's success. Given how much of a game a catcher is responsible for I cannot select anyone else.

That's how I feel about it. Hard for me to pick between these four.

SoxSpeed22
05-08-2016, 07:10 PM
This is also a hard choice. I voted for Frazier, because we needed protection behind Abreu, and he was able to provide it and play good defense. Lawrie has brought a new swagger and attitude to the team that wasn't there last year. Jackson and Rollins are bringing good defense and professionalism. Navarro has done a nice job catching for these guys and delivering big hits. Latos has been real good so far too. Rick Renteria could also be included. Now the team looks more prepared, Ventura is handling the pitching staff well and they aren't making a lot of dumb mistakes on the field or bases.

Zakath
05-08-2016, 07:11 PM
I voted Lawrie just because of the intensity, but except for Avila, who's been out for nearly half the season so far, you can't complain about any of them.

Frazier's BA is a little low, but he's made up for it with some power and outstanding play at 3B. Rollins isn't going to make spectacular plays at SS, but he's steady, and he's also giving Saladino significant time to play that position. Jackson still strikes out a bit too much, but fantastic in CF, and while Eaton was good there last year, he's been awesome in RF. Navarro's been better than Flowers behind the plate, and he's had some big hits lately when we've needed them. Latos seems to have found new life in Chicago, and is looking like the Latos of 2012 and 2013 in Cincinnati. Lawrie may have finally found a place that can deal with his intensity, and it's showing so far (hitting 20 points above career BA and 110 points over career OPS).

I feel like we've drawn to an inside straight 6 hands in a row.

spawn
05-08-2016, 08:06 PM
I'm not going to make a choice here, because I think they ALL have been valuable. But I think this team is just meshing together as a team, and not a group of individuals. So I don't want to single just one player as being most important.

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2016, 08:10 PM
All of the above.

Andrew C White
05-08-2016, 08:26 PM
None of them really stand out heads and tails above the others.

I think Frazier is easily the most important due to his talent but he hasn't really hit his groove yet so it's not him.

Latos and Lawrie have produced the most but it's hard to call them difference makers.

Avila hasn't done anything yet and Rollins achievements might have been achieved by Saladino. The best thing there was getting Alexi off the team.

I picked Jackson for the reasons stated at the top of the thread. I value defense and his has been superb and a great motivator for Eaton as well. A two for one deal.

However, I briefly toyed with the idea of Navarro. Of all of these guys I was most excited about the Sox picking him up. And I'm glad to see him getting more playing time and the production he is providing with it.

JB98
05-08-2016, 09:48 PM
I think the biggest addition has been a guy I was skeptical about: Lawrie. He has been surprisingly good.

Noneck
05-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Sox dont get Lawrie, Sanchez/Salidino is at 2nd
Sox dont get Rollins, Sanchez/ Salindo is at short
Sox dont get Frazier, Salidino/ davidson is at 3rd
Sox dont get Jackson, Eaton is in CF and Garcia in right
Sox dont get Navarro, they have a broken down Avila and Smith or Sanchez
Sox dont get Latos, Danks would still be on team along with either Gonzalez and Johnson

Lip Man 1
05-08-2016, 10:11 PM
It's not just one guy, it's been multiple guys. Winners with some attitude.

Lip

central44
05-08-2016, 10:42 PM
All outstanding additions.

I think they've been winning because of their defense above all else, though. And when I look at their defense, Austin Jackson stands out as a great center fielder--and the reason that Adam Eaton went from an above average center fielder to the best right fielder in baseball.

DumpJerry
05-09-2016, 12:13 AM
The new video boards. The old ones seemed to be the source of most of the complaints about what was wrong with the team over the past few years.

BigKlu59
05-09-2016, 08:42 AM
3 way tie, Frazier, Lawrie and Latos.
All the rest have contributed a lot too, so far this season it has been a total team effort from the hitters and the pitchers to the manager and coaches. DSNB.

Can't agree more Nell. Toss in JRo for veteran leadership. I'm partial to Frazier as he can do it all in anyway to get it done. Lawrie brings that grit and hard nose missing on this team since the days of Nellie and Jungle Jim. Been a fun bolt out of the gate. Haven't felt like this since 63-65...

BK59

Vernam
05-09-2016, 09:23 AM
I agree it's either Frazier or Jackson, but I had to show some love for Navarro just because he isn't Tyler Flowers.

ChiSoxGal85
05-09-2016, 09:40 AM
I cannnot pick only one. Frazier for his clutch defense? Lawrie for his D and fire? Navarro for being a hell of a lot better than Flowers in all ways? Jackson for his abilities in center, and for vicariously making Adam Eaton the best right fielder in the majors? Latos for surprisingly being lot better than a #3 starter? Rollins for being better than Alexei, and also imparting his experience with some of the younger players (or so I've read)? The only one I'd say doesn't really make the cut is Avila.

What I really think is important is that there are 7 players in this poll and 6 of them are contributing at a level that makes it tough to name only one as the key. Great job, Rick Hahn!

TomBradley72
05-09-2016, 10:13 AM
This is a really tough call- but I went with Latos- without Matt- we would have the same black hole at #4 spot that we have at #5- and I think we would be only a game or two above .500 vs. where we are right now- and without any real trade bait to plug those gaping holes.

My runner up would be Jackson- because he's an upgrade at CF, allows Eaton to move to RF, and then Avi to DH- so three positions impacted.

After that- a slight edge to Navarro over Frazier with a slight edge over Lawrie- without Navarro- catcher would be a complete disaster.

asindc
05-09-2016, 06:01 PM
I voted Jackson because of all the reasons already mentioned and another reason not mentioned nearly enough: Melky can play LF as he always has without having to worry about covering left-center more than he is accustomed to and more than he is capable of.

Frazier would be my next choice because of the IF domino effect: Allowed Lawrie to replace Sanchez, and allowed Sanchez/Saladino to move to the bench as quality IF subs.

Navarro/Avila are close behind those two, as it has been refreshing to get good play out of the catcher spot.

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2016, 09:13 PM
I picked Austin Jackson simply because of what he has done to transform the defensive outfield. He is making it much more difficult for the other team to score.

tstrike2000
05-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I chose Todd Frazier. He's struggled with the bat as of late, but his defense at 3B has been as advertised. He made two great plays, one each on Friday and Saturday. He also came up with two big hits on Saturday, including a homer. Been far too long since we've had someone who can provide that difference from both of those aspects.

soxfanreggie
05-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Isn't it great that we have so many solid options for this type of question? Hopefully we'll have the same type of difficult decision in August or September.

Noneck
05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
This will be a nice poll to revisit in september.

HomeFish
05-10-2016, 12:26 AM
My vote for Frazier looking pretty good tonight. He has impressed me with the glove and the bat even if the stats aren't there.

FielderJones
05-10-2016, 12:30 AM
My vote for Frazier looking pretty good tonight. He has impressed me with the glove and the bat even if the stats aren't there.

He's got old-school stats, baby! HR and RBI!

voodoochile
05-10-2016, 12:56 AM

Just to be picky, after tonight his OPS is up to .767 and his SLG is .477. His BA can come up another 30 points, but at the rate he's on he's gonna hit 40 HR this year and with the guys in front of him that's gonna generate a ton of runs. Teams are going to have to stop walking Abreu if he keeps it up and that's exactly what he's getting paid to do.