PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal on Jiminez?

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 01:24 AM
I've heard good and bad about him before he got here. From what i understand, he was a highly rated SS prospect with the Yankees and they gave up on him because of the accient he had and some guy named Derek Jeter.

I wonder why Sandiego let him go for so little? For a young player he seems VERY patient at the plate, switch hitter, good defender all at a young age and seems that he's recovering well from his injury.

Is it true that he is a problem in the club house? He seeems like he has a lot of tallant and not worth too much to other organizations.

doublem23
08-29-2002, 09:43 AM
He got hurt in a car accident in January this year (I believe) and hasn't really been the same since.

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
He got hurt in a car accident in January this year (I believe) and hasn't really been the same since.

I thought it was on 2000? Couldn't have been this year. He scewed up a few vetabrates in his spine.

Randar68
08-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I've heard good and bad about him before he got here. From what i understand, he was a highly rated SS prospect with the Yankees and they gave up on him because of the accient he had and some guy named Derek Jeter.

I wonder why Sandiego let him go for so little? For a young player he seems VERY patient at the plate, switch hitter, good defender all at a young age and seems that he's recovering well from his injury.

Is it true that he is a problem in the club house? He seeems like he has a lot of tallant and not worth too much to other organizations.

I am not confident in him yet. I follow mostly the Sox' minor leagues, and he has only been in our system for a couple months. He is not defensively capable of playing SS regularly, IMO. He appears to be pretty solid at 2B. However, I think he would be a Valentin clone at SS with less power, but a better OBP. He has good speed but has average instincts on the basepaths (amazing trend in Sox players, eh?). When he was traded, the Yankees talked him up and said he was a better prospect than Alfonso Soriano. Well, we can all see how that was just smoke up our asses at this point.

Nothing has ever been clarified about the clubhouse issues in SD, so it is unclear if he just had issues with a veteran player that was not moveable, or if he was an all-around issue.

BA had this to say about him in the Yankee's 2001 top 10 (he was #3):

3. D'Angelo Jimenez, ss

Age: 23. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 194. Signed: Dominican Republic, 1994. Signed by: Victor Mata/Rudy Santin.

Background: Jimenez led all minor league shortstops with a .327 batting average in 1999, putting him in line to serve in a big league utility role in 2000. Those plans were dashed in January when he broke his neck when his car hit a bus in the Dominican Republic. He was sidelined until July.

Strengths: All of Jimenezí tools are average or better with the exception of his power, and he can sting the ball well for a shortstop. He draws walks and makes contact. Defensively, heís solid at short and also has shown an aptitude for playing second base.

Weaknesses: Unlike Soriano, whoís still a work in progress, Jimenez is refined. Heís not an above-average runner and heís still working on turning the double play at second, but those are minor flaws.

The Future: Fully healthy again, Jimenez should claim that utility job. If the Yankees decide Chuck Knoblauch canít play second base, Jimenez would be the logical in-house candidate to replace him.

It the 2000 edition, he was 4th and they said this:

4. D'Angelo Jimenez, SS
Signed: Dominican Republic, 1994 Signed by: Vic Mata/Rudy Santin
Background: If Sorianoís status is highlighted by Jeter, then Jimenez has been largely obscured by both of them. Itís worth noting that it was Jimenez, not Soriano, who played more for the parent club in late September.

Strengths: Jimenez has solid tools across the board, as well as excellent instincts and skills. His combination of switch-hitting skills, line drive stroke, plate discipline and above-average speed make him an ideal No. 2 hole hitter. Defensively, Jimenez is steady at short. He has extremely sure hands and an accurate throwing arm, and he could easy adapt to second or third.

Weaknesses: Jimenez is primarily a contact hitter righthanded, with little power. Despite other good instincts, his baserunning isnít particularly good.

The Future: Jimenez would project as the starting shortstop for eight to 10 major league teams, so the Yankees know they have a valuable commodity. However, his versatility and switch-hitting ability might land him a utility infield role with New York.

1999 Club AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
Columbus (AAA) .327 526 97 172 32 5 15 88 59 75 26
New York .400 20 3 8 2 0 0 4 3 4 0

The kid hit .327 in AAA 2 years ago, so the ability is there. I don't know enough about his injury or his supposedly slow recovery from it (or, obviously, at what point the doctors have cleared him as 'back to 100%'. I have yet to see any sign that he is a defensive upgrade over Jose. On top of that, Jose is a VERY good baserunner.

IMO, the LATEST plan is such:

2003: SS: Jose, 2B: Jimenez, CF: Harris
2004: SS: Jimenez, 2B: Hummel, CF: Harris

We shall see, but I think SD just wanted to dump him for some reason. I'm not sure if this will turn out like Royce or Jose, but we can only wait and see.

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Thanx for the info.

Sounds like Brian Cashman wrote that second report himself to beef the trade. lol

Think it will be that late till Hummel comes up? he's about 26 or 27 already isn't he? I'd like to see Jiminez' offensive #'s come arond. Second base looks like a good fit for him. The baserunning don't surprise me. He'll fit right in. :smile:

Harris looked good in CF as far as i saw. The only thing i don't like about it is he doesn't seem to have an arm of a CF.

How's Andy Gonzalez doing? I think that's his first name. Last i knew he was still in A ball playing great "d" and can't hit a lick.

Randar68
08-29-2002, 11:53 AM

How's Andy Gonzalez doing? I think that's his first name. Last i knew he was still in A ball playing great "d" and can't hit a lick.

Good hitter and improved his K:BB ratio GREATLY since last season. He hit .280 with a .358 OBP. His defense was better this season as well. Had 16 errors in 62 games. He turns the DP very well. Hummel was in the same draft class as Joe Borchard (2000), so he's not that old (around 23 or 24 now IIRC).

RedPinStripes
08-29-2002, 12:00 PM

Good hitter and improved his K:BB ratio GREATLY since last season. He hit .280 with a .358 OBP. His defense was better this season as well. Had 16 errors in 62 games. He turns the DP very well. Hummel was in the same draft class as Joe Borchard (2000), so he's not that old (around 23 or 24 now IIRC).

That's good to hear. I'd like to come accross another sox SS like Ozzie Guillen at least with better base running skills. Haven't had a true all around ss since he left.

I don't know why i was thinking Hummel was in our system for a long time.

hold2dibber
08-29-2002, 01:14 PM

That's good to hear. I'd like to come accross another sox SS like Ozzie Guillen at least with better base running skills. Haven't had a true all around ss since he left.

I don't know why i was thinking Hummel was in our system for a long time.

I was a big Ozzie fan, and still am ... but I'm not sure I'd call him a true "all around ss".

Chisox_cali
08-29-2002, 07:22 PM

IMO, the LATEST plan is such:

2003: SS: Jose, 2B: Jimenez, CF: Harris
2004: SS: Jimenez, 2B: Hummel, CF: Harris

Even though you hate Aaron, do you think that the Sox will get rid of him this off-season? Or keeping him and getting rid of Lee, something like that. It seems like the Sox are content with the Lee-Rowand-Ordonez OF.

Daver
08-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Even though you hate Aaron, do you think that the Sox will get rid of him this off-season? Or keeping him and getting rid of Lee, something like that. It seems like the Sox are content with the Lee-Rowand-Ordonez OF.

I think you will see Joe B up here when the season re-starts next year,simply because of the investment,which would put Rowand on the bench as a fourth outfeilder,and Liefer the odd man out.

Chisox_cali
08-29-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by daver

I think you will see Joe B up here when the season re-starts next year,simply because of the investment,which would put Rowand on the bench as a fourth outfeilder,and Liefer the odd man out.

Well than were is Harris, Jimenez, Valentin playing if Joe is in Center? I take it you disagree with Randar's assessment, of where those 3 will be playing.

Daver
08-29-2002, 07:47 PM

Well than were is Harris, Jimenez, Valentin playing if Joe is in Center? I take it you disagree with Randar's assessment, of where those 3 will be playing.

Valentin SS,Harris 2B, Jiminez playing SS against lefties,Hummel continues to grow old in Charlotte.

This is just a guess and a hunch,there is no telling what KW will do,but you know that by now......

Chisox_cali
08-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by daver

Valentin SS,Harris 2B, Jiminez playing SS against lefties,Hummel continues to grow old in Charlotte.

This is just a guess and a hunch,there is no telling what KW will do,but you know that by now......

HA HA Growing Old... Well he'll be doing that in the AFL as well. We'll just have to see what happens.

Randar68
08-30-2002, 10:03 AM

I don't hate any of these players. In particular, Aaron is a great guy, as I have spoken to him several times, both in AA and here in Chicago.

That being said, he is not an everyday outfielder on a contender. There has been talk since they got Jimenez that Harris would move to CF. Don't know if that's true or not, but they also Have LTP waiting, and barring a trade of Carlos, he's probably a CF'er.

Paulwny
08-30-2002, 10:11 AM

I don't hate any of these players.

Too many people reading too much inbetween the lines. Just because people don't think much of a player's ability doesn't mean they hate them.

hold2dibber
08-30-2002, 12:18 PM

I don't hate any of these players. In particular, Aaron is a great guy, as I have spoken to him several times, both in AA and here in Chicago.

That being said, he is not an everyday outfielder on a contender. There has been talk since they got Jimenez that Harris would move to CF. Don't know if that's true or not, but they also Have LTP waiting, and barring a trade of Carlos, he's probably a CF'er.

I think trading Carlos would be a mistake (unless, of course, they could get a stud, major-league ready starter for him, but that seems highly unlikely). He hasn't had a great season but he's been pretty good since June or so. Plus, his BB totals are way up this year and his Ks are down a bit, which suggests to me that he's finally figuring out how to work a count and lay off of bad pitches. That really was the only thing holding him back in the past, IMHO. If he can carry that strike zone knowledge over to next year, I think he will put up some big numbers (of course, I was convinced Garland was going to have a break out year this season, so what the hell do I know (with apologies to Daver)).

Iguana775
08-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I think trading Carlos would be a mistake (unless, of course, they could get a stud, major-league ready starter for him, but that seems highly unlikely). He hasn't had a great season but he's been pretty good since June or so. Plus, his BB totals are way up this year and his Ks are down a bit, which suggests to me that he's finally figuring out how to work a count and lay off of bad pitches. That really was the only thing holding him back in the past, IMHO. If he can carry that strike zone knowledge over to next year, I think he will put up some big numbers (of course, I was convinced Garland was going to have a break out year this season, so what the hell do I know (with apologies to Daver)).

with so may OFers in the minors, someone has to be traded and borchard, maggs, or harris (if jimenez plays 2nd) arent going to be..

hold2dibber
08-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

with so may OFers in the minors, someone has to be traded and borchard, maggs, or harris (if jimenez plays 2nd) arent going to be..

Well, I don't think I'd trade Carlos to make room for Harris or Jimenez just yet. Neither of those two have proven anything at the major league level whereas Carlos is already a decent hitter with the potential to be a very good hitter. If it turns out that either Harris or Jimenez provems himself to be a good major league level player, then you can think about trading Carlos for pitching -- but not until then.

Iguana775
08-30-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Well, I don't think I'd trade Carlos to make room for Harris or Jimenez just yet. Neither of those two have proven anything at the major league level whereas Carlos is already a decent hitter with the potential to be a very good hitter. If it turns out that either Harris or Jimenez provems himself to be a good major league level player, then you can think about trading Carlos for pitching -- but not until then.

as long as KW is the GM there is no way either of them are traded before carlos. they are his trades and i dont see him trading them.

Chisox_cali
08-30-2002, 01:08 PM

I don't hate any of these players.

But you sure do like to jump on people who like him, or Josh Paul.

Randar68
08-31-2002, 10:59 AM

But you sure do like to jump on people who like him, or Josh Paul.

Because I have still not heard a single arguement FOR either of them that makes ANY sense other than he crashes into the wall. Josh Paul, I have yet to see any positives about his defensive/catching abilities that makes any sense.

I'm very open to discussing this if anyone can give me an arguement worth making.