PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/4/16 The Fourth Was Not With Us Postgamer

thomas35forever
05-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Whatever. Take the series tomorrow. At least Detroit and Kansas City lost.

ChicagoG19
05-04-2016, 11:04 PM
You're are gonna have nights like this. Go get them tomorrow.

slavko
05-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Buchholz was pinpoint masterful. That's how you pitch. Gave them nothing to hit at. Rodon's still learning his craft. We also got to see the bad Duke instead of the good one tonight. Gotta come right back and take the set.

shingo10
05-04-2016, 11:13 PM
3 hits won't win a lot of ballgames.

Rodon threw 110 pitches and it seemed like a good chunk were under duress. Red Sox lineup will do that so only giving up the 3 runs isn't all that bad.

Take the series tomorrow.

BRDSR
05-04-2016, 11:17 PM
I thought the thread title was clever until I realized the Red Sox didn't score in the 4th.

Of course, neither did the White Sox, so I guess it still kind of works. 😀

Church Turtle
05-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Not a night to reminisce about.

Shoeless Joe
05-04-2016, 11:22 PM
It was freaking cold tonight. Even the 32 degree game after the opener didn't feel as cold. Most importantly the bats were just as frigid. Just win tomorrow and all will be fine.

Noneck
05-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Losing to good teams and good pitchers happens, thats why bottom feeding is so important.

TDog
05-04-2016, 11:49 PM
Buchholz was pinpoint masterful. That's how you pitch. Gave them nothing to hit at. Rodon's still learning his craft. We also got to see the bad Duke instead of the good one tonight. Gotta come right back and take the set.

Buchholz clearly outpitched Rodon, who wasn't at all sharp. An inning after getting out of a bases-loaded-one-out jam with a double play, he waled the hitter ahead of Ortiz on four pitches. The game turned on the home run, but Rodon didn't have enough to make the Abreu two-run homer standd up.

At the same time, Buchholz was pretty much unhitable after the first. He was getting ahead of hitters with pitchers' pitches, keeping hitters on the defensive. When White Sox hitters did make good contact the defense was making nice plays behind him.

That's actually what White Sox starters have been doing quite a bit of this season.

The bullpen wasn't good by White Sox standards. Putnam was hit hard. Duke didn't all that badly. The Ortiz RBI single would have been a routine ground ball but for the shift. The Red Sox then brought home the lead off double by making contact to bring him around, eventually with an RBI single through the drawn-in infield.

On the plus side, this White Sox don't have to face Price this series. Still, Johnson is going to be tested in what has to be considered an audition for the fifth-starter spot.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Very disappointing night. To only get three hits off a struggling pitcher with an astronomical ERA (almost John Danks like)...very disappointing.

Rodon needs to get his act together, Sox can't afford to have two holes out of five in the starting rotation.

Was hoping for a win tonight to take the series...don't have a lot of faith with a fifth starter going Thursday that the Sox can win the game.

And Zach Duke appears to be regressing back to the Zach Duke we saw a ton last season and that's not good at all.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Losing to good teams and good pitchers happens, thats why bottom feeding is so important.

I understand what you are saying but Bucholtz (sorry about the spelling) has been anything but good this season.

Lip

Zakath
05-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I guess I missed the reason why Duke was left out there for 1 2/3 innings in a game that still wasn't out of reach.

Noneck
05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
I understand what you are saying but Bucholtz (sorry about the spelling) has been anything but good this season.

Lip

Lip,

I know he hasnt but I remember Danks having good games. I dont know if you were able to see the game but Bucholz did pitch very well.

Chez
05-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Very disappointing night. To only get three hits off a struggling pitcher with an astronomical ERA (almost John Danks like)...very disappointing.
Rodon needs to get his act together, Sox can't afford to have two holes out of five in the starting rotation.
Was hoping for a win tonight to take the series...don't have a lot of faith with a fifth starter going Thursday that the Sox can win the game.
And Zach Duke appears to be regressing back to the Zach Duke we saw a ton last season and that's not good at all.
Lip

Both Sox are throwing their 5th starter on Thursday. In which Sox do you lack faith -- Red or White?

kufram
05-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Trends, statistics, and past performances are often totally irrelevant when it comes to single game of baseball, particularly when it comes down to a pitcher. I mean, Philip Humber threw a perfect game...

We are going to lose ball games. Timely hitting doesn't happen every time. We just lost one baseball game. Johnson could throw a no hitter. Neither of those events, one a fact and the other a fantasy, would necessarily mean anything more than just what the sentence says.

CHISOXFAN13
05-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Lip

Yeah, but he was last year. Not like this guy doesn't have a track record and is some nobody bum.

TDog
05-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Lip

Did you notice that the Royals were shut out by Wade Miley on Saturday. That is, Wade Miley, who entered the game with an ERA over 7, threw his first career complete-game shutout against the Royals on Saturday.

I don't know if the incompetence of the Royals' hitters made Miley, look good Saturday night, but struggling or not, Buchholz was hitting his spots and keeping White Sox hitters on the defensive all night. After the first, at least, he didn't appear to be a struggling pitcher.

TheVulture
05-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Probably didn't help that the umpire wouldnt call Rodon's slider for a strike unless it was right down the middle. There must have been around fifteen pitches that ESPN's pitch tracker identified as a strike the ump called for a ball, but I didnt see Bucholtz having any trouble gatting a strike called.

rdivaldi
05-05-2016, 10:31 AM

:?: Before last night, Duke had gone 9.2 innings, giving up 8 hits, 2 walks and had 9 strikeouts. I don't see any sort of regression here.

tstrike2000
05-05-2016, 10:38 AM
:?: Before last night, Duke had gone 9.2 innings, giving up 8 hits, 2 walks and had 9 strikeouts. I don't see any sort of regression here.

He's giving up a hit per inning which included terrible pitch selection to Chris Davis to blow the save and tie up the game Friday before we pulled it out. Robin's been depending on him quite a bit in the early going and IMO he needs to be a little better, especially against lefties.

kittle42
05-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Probably didn't help that the umpire wouldnt call Rodon's slider for a strike unless it was right down the middle. There must have been around fifteen pitches that ESPN's pitch tracker identified as a strike the ump called for a ball, but I didnt see Bucholtz having any trouble gatting a strike called.

I'm going to create a new thread on this very topic!

rdivaldi
05-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Robin's been depending on him quite a bit in the early going and IMO he needs to be a little better, especially against lefties.

I agree he needs to be a bit better, but in fairness lefties are slashing .259/.259/.370 against him. That's pretty good. His performance in high leverage situations is more of a concern to me.

Hitmen77
05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Interesting that Rodon might have been getting squeezed. At any rate, he's still very early into his career and I expect some bumps in the road for him. My hope is that he'll continue to improve as a pitcher over the course of this season.

At least we're still 4 games up. Buchholz is a very good pitcher despite his lackluster numbers in April this season and if Rodon was not getting strikes called, then it's tough to beat that Boston offense. This loss didn't raise any red flags for me.

It'll be interesting to see how Johnson does tomorrow. He could go a long way to settling our 5th starter question mark with a decent outing.

Hitmen77
05-05-2016, 11:05 AM

It's a good think Hawk wasn't called the game last night!

rdivaldi
05-05-2016, 11:08 AM
It's a good think Hawk wasn't called the game last night!

This very subject deserves it's own thread altogether. It will be interesting to see the long term effects on the fan base of having a broadcaster like Bennetti who is a very positive, relaxed, upbeat person as opposed to Hawk who is grumpy, negative and critical.

kittle42
05-05-2016, 12:13 PM
This very subject deserves it's own thread altogether. It will be interesting to see the long term effects on the fan base of having a broadcaster like Bennetti who is a very positive, relaxed, upbeat person as opposed to Hawk who is grumpy, negative and critical.

I had the same thought, including being glad Hawk wasn't there to complain when Rodon didn't get a call and Ortiz hit a dinger. I think we could all pretty much guess verbatim what Hawk's HR call would have been.

Shoeless Joe
05-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Rodon is fine. He had a quality start. Outside of the LA stinker he's been more than serviceable.

JB98
05-05-2016, 01:36 PM
I guess I missed the reason why Duke was left out there for 1 2/3 innings in a game that still wasn't out of reach.

Probably because it's a long season, and you can't be pitching Albers and Jones every single day in the seventh and eighth innings. Both those two men have injury histories, and you have to take steps to keep them healthy for the long haul.

I think you use Albers and Jones when the Sox are tied or ahead. Down a run or two, it's up to guys like Duke, Putnam and Petricka to keep the Sox in it.

Right now, Petricka is a sore spot in the bullpen. It's almost to a point where his roster spot needs to be on the line. He's 3-1 on every hitter he faces these days. Robin obviously has lost faith in him. We've seen Putnam in a couple situations, including the seventh last night, that would normally be Petricka's role. He's a bigger concern to me than Duke.

JB98
05-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Rodon is fine. He had a quality start. Outside of the LA stinker he's been more than serviceable.

Yeah, it wasn't a bad outing. You'd just like to see him clean up the walks. The home run to Ortiz, **** happens. But what's bothersome is the four-pitch walk right before that with two outs and nobody on. Rodon needed to finish that inning, leave Ortiz in the on-deck circle and allow him to hit with nobody on base leading off the next inning.

Shoeless Joe
05-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it wasn't a bad outing. You'd just like to see him clean up the walks. The home run to Ortiz, **** happens. But what's bothersome is the four-pitch walk right before that with two outs and nobody on. Rodon needed to finish that inning, leave Ortiz in the on-deck circle and allow him to hit with nobody on base leading off the next inning.

Agreed. He definitely was razor sharp last night, no doubt about that.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant not razor sharp.

DrCrawdad
05-05-2016, 03:21 PM

I didn't see the AB previous to the Ortiz HR, were there questionable calls?

kobo
05-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Well, I was tired of Hawk already and after having listened to him during the Orioles games and listening to Bennetti the last 2 nights I don't want to ever hear Hawk again. The prime example is Hawk's broadcast while Danks was pitching. It was bad enough watching Danks pitch that game, but Hawk didn't help anything by turning into a fan and constantly complaining about Danks and that he needed to be gone. I know Hawk isn't a professional and people like him because he's a homer, but there are times when being a homer goes too far. In a miserable game the last thing I want to hear are the announcers perpetuating that miserableness.

thomas35forever
05-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Well, I was tired of Hawk already and after having listened to him during the Orioles games and listening to Bennetti the last 2 nights I don't want to ever hear Hawk again. The prime example is Hawk's broadcast while Danks was pitching. It was bad enough watching Danks pitch that game, but Hawk didn't help anything by turning into a fan and constantly complaining about Danks and that he needed to be gone. I know Hawk isn't a professional and people like him because he's a homer, but there are times when being a homer goes too far. In a miserable game the last thing I want to hear are the announcers perpetuating that miserableness.
I get your point, but I also don't want to hear announcers act like everything is awesome. Hawk wears his heart on his sleeve more than anyone else. If you don't want to hear what your announcer honestly feels about your team, tough. I'd rather hear the truth than some sort of narrative that beats around the bush.

slavko
05-05-2016, 06:15 PM
He's giving up a hit per inning which included terrible pitch selection to Chris Davis to blow the save and tie up the game Friday before we pulled it out. Robin's been depending on him quite a bit in the early going and IMO he needs to be a little better, especially against lefties.

Threw Ortiz a belt high fastball when he had him down 1-2 and a fastball a few inches higher would have K'ed him. Papi hit it to left through the empty SS position. So you have it right.