PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle -- the 5th starter?

Hawkinole
05-04-2016, 12:14 AM
What about Buehrle as the 5th starter? Has World Series experience. Was 15-8 in 2015, 3.81 ERA. Is now 37 years old. If it takes him a month to get loosened up he'll be available in June. He is a free agent.

He recently purchased an RV http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3074/mark-buehrle

Can someone purchase the RV so he doesn't have to find a parking spot in Chicago?

Hasn't ruled out a possible comeback down the road. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/mark-buehrle

He could spend a month at Kanapolis and get his arm loosened up for June. White Sox might have to pay him a few million buckeroos but that would go a long way toward a parking spot for the RV.

thomas35forever
05-04-2016, 12:17 AM
I think his arm is pretty much shot. That's why I said in the Sox article thread that signing him would be disastrous. We can't afford to take chances on a guy who didn't even have a proper spring training. Get someone who's on a big-league roster now if you must seek outside help.

Mohoney
05-04-2016, 12:25 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/10310

Noneck
05-04-2016, 12:30 AM
The guy cant break a pane of glass these days. I heard of no one giving him a sniff. No thanks.

Keep the current chemistry also. I dont want anyone from the days of yore on this club.

Hawkinole
05-04-2016, 12:35 AM
15-8, and 3.81 ERA a year ago. What changed?

CHISOXFAN13
05-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Hope the next time I see Buerhle at the Cell, it's to unveil a statue, not pitch.

kittle42
05-04-2016, 12:40 AM

Health, reportedly.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2016, 12:43 AM
I think the idea of Mark coming in without spring training and without throwing a baseball for seven months and being effective even with some time in the minor leagues a very long shot.

He was a terrific pitcher but like with Danks that ship has sailed.

I don't get why folks keep bringing this up given his circumstances.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
05-04-2016, 12:59 AM
My guess is some folks would like to see Buehrle come back so it can in effect come full circle. I can't say I go along with that line of thinking though.

voodoochile
05-04-2016, 01:01 AM

Reports at the end of the year say his shoulder was totally shot. Maybe that heals, but some thought he needed surgery to ever pitch in the majors again. He tried to pitch a single inning on no days rest to hit 200 IP and couldn't make it out of the first yielding 7 runs in 0.1 innings IIRC.

Love Mark, but I think he's retired. Now I've been wrong before and maybe with most of a year off he could come back late August and be effective. Right now it's Erik's turn to see if he can pitch like he did last September for any length of time or something resembling 5th starter level at least. If he can post a 4.5 ERA (or even a bit higher) and win 1/2 of the games he starts the Sox will be fine. Anything over that is gravy and he showed the potential to be a lot better than that last year late.

if he fails they've got Gonzalez to bring back up and try again in June. After that there's the trade deadline to figure things out.

I expect Erik to be an acceptable 5th starter though and maybe a bit better than the numbers I posted.

TommyJohn
05-04-2016, 06:49 AM
The guy cant break a pane of glass these days. I heard of no one giving him a sniff. No thanks.

Keep the current chemistry also. I dont want anyone from the days of yore on this club.

Agree. Don't know why people keep bringing him up. Left-handed pitching is always a much sought after commodity in MLB. No team is seeking him out. If MB thought he had anything left or wasn't injured he would be playing this year. He is effectively retired-he just hasn't made the announcement.

AJ is another name that keeps popping up on social media. I wish fans could let go of him, too.

kufram
05-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Agree. Don't know why people keep bringing him up. Left-handed pitching is always a much sought after commodity in MLB. No team is seeking him out. If MB thought he had anything left or wasn't injured he would be playing this year. He is effectively retired-he just hasn't made the announcement.

AJ is another name that keeps popping up on social media. I wish fans could let go of him, too.

Like we desperately need another left handed starter, eh?

Some fans complain of misplaced loyalty in the front office. This is misplaced loyalty from some fans. Both MB and AJ can only damage their legacy by coming back here as players in my opinion. They both deserve unending appreciation and recognition, though.

TommyJohn
05-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Like we desperately need another left handed starter, eh?

Some fans complain of misplaced loyalty in the front office. This is misplaced loyalty from some fans. Both MB and AJ can only damage their legacy by coming back here as players in my opinion. They both deserve unending appreciation and recognition, though.

Agree on all counts. MB attempting a comeback with the White Sox now would be the equivalent of when Muhammad Ali fought Trevor Berbick. And I am sure the team will honor him at some point in the future. Personally, I think a number retirement and statue would be a bit much; but I am confident they will recognize his contributions to team history in some way.

DumpJerry
05-04-2016, 08:36 AM
He opted to retire instead of doing surgery.

Why not campaign for Jack McDowell? He had some pretty good years with us, too.

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Agree on all counts. MB attempting a comeback with the White Sox now would be the equivalent of when Muhammad Ali fought Trevor Berbick. And I am sure the team will honor him at some point in the future. Personally, I think a number retirement and statue would be a bit much; but I am confident they will recognize his contributions to team history in some way.

I think Buehrle earned a statue and number retirement. He looms large in Sox history as much as Paul Konerko.

kobo
05-04-2016, 09:05 AM
His numbers don't tell the whole story from last year. He had 4 cortisone shots in his shoulder last year. Four happens to be the maximum allowed by MLB. In his last start he couldn't make it out of the first inning. The guy is done.

gobears1987
05-04-2016, 09:09 AM
If Buehrle wanted to pitch this year, he was going to need surgery. He decided not to get surgery so that decision was basically an unofficial retirement announcement.

Rocky Soprano
05-04-2016, 10:28 AM
The whole unofficial retirement it's easy to bring it up.
If Mark wasn't thinking about possibly coming back then why hasn't he made it official?

voodoochile
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
If Mark wasn't thinking about possibly coming back then why hasn't he made it official?

Ego and the chance to say good bye on his own terms?

Flight #24
05-04-2016, 11:32 AM
From all reports seems like he's not able, no reason to take that leap other than nostalgia.

That said, I would be in favor of the Sox signing him to throw one pitch and retire. I know it's a sideshow/circus and we have a division to win, but IMHO he's meant enough to the franchise to deserve going out with the Sox.

kufram
05-04-2016, 12:56 PM
I think Buehrle earned a statue and number retirement. He looms large in Sox history as much as Paul Konerko.

I think that whole team deserves a serious permanent collective honour of some kind. Everyone played a role including the bench players... even Geoff Blum, the late acquisition won a WS game. Perhaps a huge bronze of a team photo?

voodoochile
05-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I think that whole team deserves a serious permanent collective honour of some kind. Everyone played a role including the bench players... even Geoff Blum, the late acquisition won a WS game. Perhaps a huge bronze of a team photo?

Just erect a bronze replica of the trophy and put up a plaque with all the names of everyone who played for or coached the team that year.

Bobby Thigpen
05-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Ego and the chance to say good bye on his own terms?
I could see MB not honestly giving enough of a crap to have a press conference and do the paper work. Just fade into obscurity.

FielderJones
05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Jeez, even Phil Rogers (http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/176038754/white-sox-cut-ties-with-left-hander-john-danks) has floated this bad idea.

kufram
05-04-2016, 01:18 PM
I could see MB not honestly giving enough of a crap to have a press conference and do the paper work. Just fade into obscurity.

There must be a pension connected to official retirement.

Chez
05-04-2016, 02:06 PM

Kufram: The White Sox have done just that. There's a huge "Champions Plaza" located in front of the ballpark with the name of everyone (players, manager and coaches) who appeared in a game in 2005. There's a large statue in the plaza which memorializes many of the key post-season highlights. Fans were allowed to purchase brick pavers for the plaza inscribed with whatever message they wanted to share (my family has one).

If you ever make it back to Chicago for a game, you'll really enjoy it -- it brings back a flood of great memories.

Rocky Soprano
05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Kufram: The White Sox have done just that. There's a huge "Champions Plaza" located in front of the ballpark with the name of everyone (players, manager and coaches) who appeared in a game in 2005. There's a large statute in the plaza which memorializes many of the key post-season highlights. Fans were allowed to purchase brick pavers for the plaza inscribed with whatever message they wanted to share (my family has one).

If you ever make it back to Chicago for a game, you'll really enjoy it -- it brings back a flood of great memories.

See attached.

kufram
05-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Kufram: The White Sox have done just that. There's a huge "Champions Plaza" located in front of the ballpark with the name of everyone (players, manager and coaches) who appeared in a game in 2005. There's a large statute in the plaza which memorializes many of the key post-season highlights. Fans were allowed to purchase brick pavers for the plaza inscribed with whatever message they wanted to share (my family has one).

See attached.

Thank you both. I should have known about this but I guess being 7,000 miles away is some sort of excuse, eh? My brick would have said "thanks for keeping me up until 3-4:00 am many nights over 3 weeks!!" and I still had to keep getting up to go to work back then.

Noneck
05-04-2016, 02:40 PM

Probably the same reason thome sat by the phone for like 3 years before signing the retirement paper. Its tough to realize you are done after being able to do it well for so many years.

Foulke You
05-04-2016, 02:43 PM
If Mark was willing to be evaluated in the minors and work for peanuts, i'd be up for giving him a look. Can't have too much pitching depth. It would be pretty clear right away if he had anything left to provide. Something tells me he wouldn't want to work for peanuts nor would he want to report to Birmingham or Charlotte for a few weeks to be evaluated. It's likely that his career is over and that ship has sailed. I'd rather have the Sox target Tim Lincecum *if* his velocity has indeed returned as some have suggested.

Noneck
05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
I'd rather have the Sox target Tim Lincecum *if* his velocity has indeed returned as some have suggested.

It appears as though Lincecum has quite a few suitors. I dont want the Sox to get into any type of biding war for him. And if he comes real cheap and a one year term that means he is really toast.

Mohoney
05-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Some players hold off on officially declaring retirement to delay receiving their pensions. There may be other things he is doing with his money this year, and declaring no income may be advantageous for tax purposes.

RCWHITESOX
05-04-2016, 04:10 PM
It appears as though Lincecum has quite a few suitors. I dont want the Sox to get into any type of biding war for him. And if he comes real cheap and a one year term that means he is really toast.

Someone by the name of Matt Latos came cheap and he surely is not toast. I believe the Sox should keep all their options open, and I'm sure they will.

Noneck
05-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Someone by the name of Matt Latos came cheap and he surely is not toast. I believe the Sox should keep all their options open, and I'm sure they will.

Were the dodgers giants, orioles, jays, angels, rangers and cubs looking at Latos? What Im saying is, there are a lot of the big clubs interested and if he looks good he wont be near cheap.

Domeshot17
05-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Buehrle's arm is shot, it is done. He couldn't throw over 80 last year. I know its not much, but without getting his pitches into the 80s, they are not going to move like they used to. His am also kept his control from being pin point.

To think of it a different way, by the year of the year, Buehrle couldn't throw as hard as most high school pitchers.

I really don't want my last memory of Mark being that he could not put his pride aside, tried to come back, and got boo'd off the field with a 6 or 7 ERA.

I think he is going to take a 1 day deal either with the Sox or Cards, then retire.

Madvora
05-04-2016, 07:04 PM
I think he is going to take a 1 day deal either with the Sox or Cards, then retire.
Oh God, not this again.

Domeshot17
05-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Oh God, not this again.

The ONLY reason I say the Cards is that was his Dad's dream. And when you had an excellent career, won world series, a no no, a perfecto, a lot of money, if you have a shot to make your dad beam one more time, you just might do it wouldn't you?

I was never a big BUEHRLE CARDS ERR MY GAWD guy, but I could see it.

Madvora
05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
The ONLY reason I say the Cards is that was his Dad's dream. And when you had an excellent career, won world series, a no no, a perfecto, a lot of money, if you have a shot to make your dad beam one more time, you just might do it wouldn't you?

I was never a big BUEHRLE CARDS ERR MY GAWD guy, but I could see it.
Oh, I'm not talking about the Cardinals thing. In fact I never even thought of that until just now. I was talking about the one day contact thing. I really don't understand that ridiculous concept.

sullythered
05-04-2016, 09:15 PM
What the hell is everybody talking about with the Ali and Blackjack jokes? OK, if you dont like the idea, but the idea of bringing back a guy who LAST YEAR had his exact career ERA and slightly better WHIP than normal is not as bananas as some of you are implying.

Edit: Buehrle is a WAY more reasonable suggestion than Lincecum, who has been garbage for years.

Lundind1
05-04-2016, 09:33 PM
What the hell is everybody talking about with the Ali and Blackjack jokes? OK, if you dont like the idea, but the idea of bringing back a guy who LAST YEAR had his exact career ERA and slightly better WHIP than normal is not as bananas as some of you are implying.

Edit: Buehrle is a WAY more reasonable suggestion than Lincecum, who has been garbage for years.

Since 2011 bad.

kittle42
05-04-2016, 10:17 PM

None of this changes the fact that the guy reportedly cannot physically pitch they way he used to, and thus has basically retired.

ChiSoxNationPres
05-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Not sure why people think this is SOOO outrageous of an idea. He was actually really good for a few months last year. He probably just needed some time off to get his arm rested towards the end of last year. He wouldn't even need to pitch a whole season with us. Buehrle throwing 84 MPH is night and day better than Danks. He was pretty good throwing at that speed too the last few seasons.

His velocity went down a tick or 2 at the end of last season, but he did finish with 15-8 record and 3.81 era.

Andrew C White
05-05-2016, 12:14 AM
I'd love to have Mark Buehrle back. One of all-time favorite players. But only if he is healthy and can contribute.

I saw that last game last year when he tried to get his 200 innings. It was a very sad spectacle. Nobody should go out like that but far too many players stay too long.

If he is really healthy and ready to play... great! Buehrle as your 5th starter??? You know you are in good shape then! But if it is the guy in that last game last year then I'd rather he retire and we can have our memories of what Mark Buehrle was with the White Sox... a First Class Champion.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Sun Times has a story today on the 5th starter situation and a look back at history concerning it with the Sox:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/white-sox-add-by-subtracting-but-5th-starter-role-still-uncertain/

Lip