PDA

View Full Version : Spiegel Article: Sox Success is Sustainable

FoulTerritory
04-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Yesterday I made the point, in the anti-WSCR thread, that Spiegel shouldn't be lumped in with the others -- that he talks thoughtfully and respectfully about the Sox even though he is, ironically, a Cubs fan (as where Berns, Goff, etc claim to be Sox fans then bash them and their fans constantly)

Anyway, Spiegel authored this article, posted on CBS Chicago this morning: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/04/28/spiegel-white-soxs-hot-start-isnt-a-fluke/

It's a good read that argues that the Sox winnings ways are indeed sustainable because they are predicated on defense and pitching and not just a hot offensive start.

It's good stuff!

WhiteSox5187
04-29-2016, 12:59 AM
I hope he's right, but just as we keep saying that eventually the offense will come around, the pitching is likely to start regressing (or coming back to mean) at some point too. It's great the Sox are off to a great start and I'm certainly intrigued, but I'd like to see how they get through May before I get too hopeful and optimistic.

DumpJerry
04-29-2016, 08:44 AM
I hope he's right, but just as we keep saying that eventually the offense will come around, the pitching is likely to start regressing (or coming back to mean) at some point too. It's great the Sox are off to a great start and I'm certainly intrigued, but I'd like to see how they get through May before I get too hopeful and optimistic.

:Danks:
I'm doing my part.

slavko
04-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Yesterday I made the point, in the anti-WSCR thread, that Spiegel shouldn't be lumped in with the others -- that he talks thoughtfully and respectfully about the Sox even though he is, ironically, a Cubs fan (as where Berns, Goff, etc claim to be Sox fans then bash them and their fans constantly)

Anyway, Spiegel authored this article, posted on CBS Chicago this morning: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/04/28/spiegel-white-soxs-hot-start-isnt-a-fluke/

It's a good read that argues that the Sox winnings ways are indeed sustainable because they are predicated on defense and pitching and not just a hot offensive start.

It's good stuff!

The thing of it is that Matt's a thoughtful and respectful person and the others, while they are Sox fans, are guys with a mean streak who let it show as part of their broadcast shtick. Woe be to those who get in the way.

guillensdisciple
04-29-2016, 12:33 PM
The thing we have to do as baseball fans is realize that baseball is a steady game.the advantage of starting hot like this is that we can go 2 or 3 over . 500 in the remaining 4 months and end up 24 games over .500.

We have given ourselves a great edge and opportunity here.just play good baseball the rest of the way and we end up with a mid 90 win season.

Mohoney
04-29-2016, 04:50 PM
We have given ourselves a great edge and opportunity here.just play good baseball the rest of the way and we end up with a mid 90 win season.

Play good baseball and don't get hurt.

One thing that really worries me is that there isn't enough depth here to survive a key injury. I think the bullpen can be OK in the event of an injury, and the rotation can hold up OK if a starter had to miss 3 or 4 turns, but this lineup would really suffer if, say, Adam Eaton or Todd Frazier had to miss 15 days.

Chez
04-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Play good baseball and don't get hurt.

One thing that really worries me is that there isn't enough depth here to survive a key injury. I think the bullpen can be OK in the event of an injury, and the rotation can hold up OK if a starter had to miss 3 or 4 turns, but this lineup would really suffer if, say, Adam Eaton or Todd Frazier had to miss 15 days.

I had the same conversation with a buddy yesterday. Other than middle infielders, the Sox organizational depth for position players is really thin if a starter was to go down for an extended period.