PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/27/16 7th Inning Magic Continues, Six in a Row! Postgamer

BRDSR
04-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Impressive. Day in and day out.

gobears1987
04-27-2016, 10:02 PM
10 over .500, 6 wins in a row, 3 games in 1st place... The kids can play

HomeFish
04-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Just two wins to go to rack up another somber streak.

OmahaSoxFan
04-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Sweet sweep on the road of the Toronto Blue Jays... I would have been really happy with 2 out of 3 going into this series, absolutely amazed with the sweep, way for the Sox to take it to them in a place the Sox haven't done so well in lately.

Now on to Baltimore, and another tough series... I have faith in the boys that they can bring home another series victory, or at least a split!

aryzner
04-27-2016, 10:03 PM
TEN games over .500 in April. APRIL. This... was unexpected.

Lundind1
04-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Keep it going. On to Baltimore!

Looks great, offense, defense and timely hitting.

Crooked Number
:sweep :sweep

What a performance by Q. More 7th inning offensive magic. Great defense. Lockdown bullpen.

#DSNB
#TOTR
#CinchHunkerBow

Shoeless Joe
Bring it Orioles!

gobears1987
Just two wins to go to rack up another somber streak.

That was in Toronto too, right?

CHISOXFAN13
04-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but it's pretty ****ing awesome to see all the activity on this site again.

Winning doesn't suck!

gobears1987
04-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but it's pretty ****ing awesome to see all the activity on this site again.

Winning doesn't suck!

Notice how my mood and the tone of my posts here has improved. I would retire my current sig, but I don't think I can change anything during a hot streak.

guillensdisciple
04-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I am not sure what the **** is going on. I am trying to pinch myself.

Incredible.

This bullpen is nails. This team can hit when it matters.

I am beginning to feel something magical may happen.

wxkid23
04-27-2016, 10:08 PM
It's still early but it's getting close to the point of saying this team is for real

Zakath
04-27-2016, 10:08 PM
23 of our 82 runs this season in the 7th inning. 43 runs scored in the 7th or later.

Incredible.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2016, 10:09 PM
I've been a Sox fan since the early 50s and have seen some great Sox pitching down through the years but this stretch is the best I've seen. To have this kind of pitching in this day and age is phenomenal, these guys just plain shut down the Jays who have one of the best and most powerful lineups in the Majors.
That 3 series sweeps so far this year!!!

Dan H
04-27-2016, 10:12 PM
TEN games over .500 in April. APRIL. This... was unexpected.

This was unexpected. Strange there were so many hopes for 2015 and that team fizzled. This year no or few expectations and the Sox look like a different team. This is more emotion on this club. You can't win on emotion alone, but it helps to have it. Lawrie sure has it.

anewman35
04-27-2016, 10:12 PM
At the moment, the Sox have the most wins in the majors all by themselves, and (most importantly) FOUR more wins than any other team in the AL.

(Still percentage points behind the Cubs for the best record overall, but I'm not complaining, it's just a matter of time!)

veeter
04-27-2016, 10:13 PM
This is so fun. They are firing on all cylinders. Right now they are the best team in baseball. Adding character and talented guys like Frazier, Lawrie and Navarro has paid huge dividends. Add that to this ridiculous pitching staff and you get a tough team to deal with. Keep 'em healthy Herm!!!!

wxkid23
04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Q over a K an inning this year. 1.47 ERA. Why he's not widely recognized as one of the best starters in the AL I have no idea. His lack of run support is the likely reason

Noneck
04-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Lawrie appears to be the #1 spark plug in this engine. He seems to be the real deal, not the fake stuff like swisher or spanky the clown last year. I dont think this is a team of choir boys which has been the case for over a decade. Its a good mix when things are going good, hope it stays that way when a slump comes their way.

SoxSpeed22
04-27-2016, 10:17 PM
How's that for a statement series? Our pitching staff (for the most part) got the job done and swept a team that made the ALCS last year. Timely hitting came through and Navarro had a real good series.
The last time we were 10 over was September 2012, and the last time we were 10 over in April was 2006. Start believing folks...:bandance:

JermaineDye05
04-27-2016, 10:18 PM
No mercy.

http://reaction.club/r/662ad8e.gif

Soxman219
04-27-2016, 10:20 PM

Winning doesn't suck!

:nod::nod:

Lip Man 1
04-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Wow...just wow. Words fail me.

This winning is fun!

Lip

rookie
2 sweeps! Can't wait for them to return next week with better weather. Definitely trying to catch a game on this home stand.

gobears1987

This winning is fun!

Lip

Fun is winning and winning is fun - Ozzie Guillen

ChicagoG19
This is just crazy, but oh so much fun. Let's keep it going in Baltimore. :bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
04-27-2016, 10:22 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!

Got stuck late at work and had to follow on gamecast, but I repeat... WOW WOW WOW!!!

Now sweep the Orioles and Shave Benetti's head....

:hawk:
"Damned right, I'm too old for such foolishness..."

:soxwin:

:sweep: :sweep:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

guillensdisciple
04-27-2016, 10:22 PM
No, but seriously, I am excited.

Wow.

guillensdisciple
04-27-2016, 10:24 PM

This winning is fun!

Lip

WOW WOW WOW!!!

Got stuck late at work and had to follow on gamecast, but I repeat... WOW WOW WOW!!!

Now sweep the Orioles and Shave Benetti's head....

:hawk:
"Damned right, I'm too old for such foolishness..."

:soxwin:

:sweep: :sweep:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Your reactions are my reactions.

My brain is not comprehending any of this.

Paulwny
04-27-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm amazed, timely hitting and a pitching staff that's lights out.

TDog
04-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Before anyone posts with a comparison to last year, consider that the last starting pitcher the Blue Jays beat on their current homestand was Eric Surkamp, which is more of a reference to 2014.

Tonight's final score betrays the tight intensity of the game until two outs in the seventh with two strikes on Navarro and the first of back to back triples to break it open, sort of.

The Jays didn't score against the Sox bullpen in the series. The Sox scored against the Jays bullpen in each of the three games. Considering the opponent and the venue, the pitching couldn't have been much more dominant for the Sox. Gonzalez gave up five in three innings. The rest of the staff gave up one run in 24 innings, a solo home run with a 7-0 lead.

You don't have to compare this team to last year's visiting Toronto with Donaldson homering more than once against Robertson to be excited.

And if you still need to compare this team to last year's to feel good, consider that the last time the Sox won six in a row, WSI posters were lamenting that the teams weren't very good. That really hasn't been felt here this year since Oakland and Minnesota.

spongyfungy
04-27-2016, 10:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RFAHO7A.gif

slavko
04-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Wasn't their last loss when Jackson just missed hitting one out for a game winner in the 9th? Came right back from that heartbreaker, didn't they?

Don't wanna put on the hex but an extended losing streak is less likely the way they pitch and catch the ball.

asindc
04-27-2016, 10:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RFAHO7A.gif

LOL, I like that!:D:

ricker182
04-27-2016, 10:40 PM
And what is Sportsnet Central's lead in?
Arrieta and the cubs' rain out ...

Anyway. What a series.

Cannot believe we're playing this well.

LoveYourSuit
04-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Best feeling I've had for the Sox since 2006.

I felt we should win every night that season.

Starting to feel this way with this pitching. Still very early and I don't expect them to keep the ERA in the 2.20 range, but I also don't think our offense is close to what it could be once Abreu lights it up.

Fun times!

guillensdisciple
04-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Alright, so, the Orioles will be a test. Tomorrow is an auto L since Danks is on the mound. Winning this series will be the ultimate show of force. I will take a split, but man will we be flying high if we win this one.

rpmorri
04-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Not saying squat until Labor Day. Then, maybe I'll start believing.

Madvora
04-27-2016, 10:53 PM
And we still have those LaRoche millions waiting in bank as our secret weapon.
How much stronger can this team get?

tstrike2000
04-27-2016, 10:54 PM
What the **** is going on? New catcher(s), new second baseman, new SS, new third baseman, new center fielder, move Eaton to right, and new fourth starter equals just a completely different team. Completely unrecognizable from the last handful of years. With that defense behind a stud pitching staff, a recipe for winning, finally.

ChiSoxGal85
04-27-2016, 10:56 PM
This is really sweep...er, sweet. Especially after last season's crapfest against the Jays in Toronto - I particularly remember a heartbreaker with a Robertson meltdown in the 9th.

I'm so excited for a fun summer of White Sox baseball!

:gosox:

Heffalump
04-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Not saying squat until Labor Day. Then, maybe I'll start believing.

I am hoping you mean Memorial Day? I agree it is early, but that is pretty sad if you aren't gonna believe in this team until there is one month to go.

Zakath
04-27-2016, 11:02 PM
What the **** is going on? New catcher(s), new second baseman, new SS, new third baseman, new center fielder, move Eaton to right, and new fourth starter equals just a completely different team. Completely unrecognizable from the last handful of years. With that defense behind a stud pitching staff, a recipe for winning, finally.

All the new parts = new attitude. Getting rid of dead weight has made a huge difference.

What's more surprising is that what looked to be a huge problem coming out of Spring Training is now barely an afterthought.

Lip Man 1
04-27-2016, 11:02 PM

Anyway. What a series.

That's pretty pathetic isn't it? :rolleyes:

Lip

IronFisk
04-27-2016, 11:04 PM

Had big changes like this prior to 05 as well.

I like where this is going. :gulp:

Railsplitter
04-27-2016, 11:06 PM
That 3 series sweeps so far this year!!!
And two of those sweeps were on the road.

Church Turtle
04-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Great defense, timely hitting, solid pitching. And 2 sweeps in a row!

Hope they continue this in Baltimore. :bliss:

shes
04-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Imagine if the Blue Jays fall out of contention by the trade deadline. You have to imagine one or both of Bautista and Encarnacion will be available since they'll be FAs. An upgrade at DH is really all we need to be legit contenders in my opinion, and either one of those guys would be a huge get. It's a little early to start coveting other teams' players, but when the time comes there will be sluggers available and with the LaRoche $13M + the extra millions in revenue from increased attendance and merch sales, the Sox should be willing and able to make a huge move in a couple months.

JermaineDye05
04-27-2016, 11:21 PM
So that's three sweeps in April. How many series did we sweep last year?

FielderJones
04-27-2016, 11:24 PM
:hawk
"I love the 7th inning!"

MUsoxfan
04-27-2016, 11:26 PM
Imagine if the Blue Jays fall out of contention by the trade deadline. You have to imagine one or both of Bautista and Encarnacion will be available since they'll be FAs. An upgrade at DH is really all we need to be legit contenders in my opinion, and either one of those guys would be a huge get. It's a little early to start coveting other teams' players, but when the time comes there will be sluggers available and with the LaRoche $13M + the extra millions in revenue from increased attendance and merch sales, the Sox should be willing and able to make a huge move in a couple months.

Toronto is still the best team in that division. Outstanding series. Best few games I can recall in several years

Lip Man 1
04-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Sox team ERA is now the lowest its been after 22 games since the 1967 "Near Miss" White Sox.

Lip

DumpJerry
04-27-2016, 11:49 PM
They need to fire Robin before things get any better. The offense is averaging three outs per inning, too many and it is Robin's fault.

RadioheadRocks
04-27-2016, 11:52 PM

Good things happen when a LOT of dead weight is gone.

Saracen
04-27-2016, 11:55 PM
I'm leaving the country for 3 weeks and can't catch any Sox games. I'm holding you all personally responsible if the streak doesn't continue.

36-6 or bust.

spongyfungy
04-28-2016, 12:18 AM
So that's three sweeps in April. How many series did we sweep last year?

5 series (zero in April)

A's 5/15-16 3 games
Astros 6/8-10 3 games
Indians 7/23-26 4 games
Angels 8/10-12 3 games
Royals 9/4-6 3 games

XplodingScorbord
04-28-2016, 12:23 AM
They need to fire Robin before things get any better. The offense is averaging three outs per inning, too many and it is Robin's fault.

Amazing how Robin doesn't suck so much when the players perform.

kittle42
04-28-2016, 12:28 AM

Thanks for being a douche, Adam!

Brian26
04-28-2016, 12:32 AM
We got a team.

captain54
04-28-2016, 12:48 AM

I'll be the first to give RV credit for April 2016, but In your heart of hearts can you honestly pass judgement on Ventura in 2016, 22 games into the season?

slavko
04-28-2016, 12:51 AM

For those of you not watching baseball almost 50 years ago, Casey Stengel, when named Manager of the Year, came back with "I couldn't have done it without the players."

captain54
04-28-2016, 01:08 AM
For those of you not watching baseball almost 50 years ago, Casey Stengel, when named Manager of the Year, came back with "I couldn't have done it without the players."

In 2009 Jim Tracy turned the Rockies around from 10 games under early in the season under Clint Hurdle, to almost 30 games over by season's end.with the exact same players. .. It may not have all been Tracy's doing, but the likelihood is that it had a lot to do with it..or at least something to do with it

SoxThunder
04-28-2016, 01:11 AM

...said Jerry Krause never.

TDog
04-28-2016, 01:25 AM

And as manager of the 1962 New York Mets, he didn't.

spawn
04-28-2016, 01:34 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this is the 5th shutouts so far in 22 games. That's pretty damn impressive.

RCWHITESOX
04-28-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this is the 5th shutouts so far in 22 games. That's pretty damn impressive.

This team is pretty damn impressive! This team has a spark that I haven't seen in years. The defense is so much better and the pitching has been fantastic. I love what I'm seeing and hope with every thing possible that it continues. White Sox baseball 2016 you have to love it!

kufram
04-28-2016, 03:26 AM
Baseball is a game of streaks and we are on a hot one. The bottom of the order has had a lot to do with winning in Toronto along with the dominant pitching. Even Avila getting hurt has turned into a positive as Nivarro has stepped up. Avi has got some important hits also.

The departure of he who must not be named (and junior) and the seeming clubhouse debacle that ensued appears to have had a galvanizing effect. Winning makes everybody smarter. Don't change nothing boys!

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2016, 06:26 AM
The departure of he who must not be named (and junior) and the seeming clubhouse debacle that ensued appears to have had a galvanizing effect. Winning makes everybody smarter. Don't change nothing boys!

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. Clearing out a ****load of deadwood certainly has made an impact. In addition to "unmentionable and son", you can add Samardzija, Dunn, Flowers and Bellisorryass to that list.

joegraz
04-28-2016, 06:30 AM

LOL now that's good!

Maximo
04-28-2016, 06:37 AM
As a player, you can't wait to get to the ball park when you're winning.
As a fan, I can't wait for them to get there, either.

It appears as if the addition of some new guys and the subtraction of some old ones means the men have reclaimed the clubhouse. They're having fun and it's showing up in the win column.

kufram
04-28-2016, 06:37 AM

It's not all Robin's fault. This goes right to the top. In fact, hire Greg Walker back so he can be fired again immediately... just to be sure.

guillensdisciple
04-28-2016, 07:00 AM
To give this some perspective: going .500 the rest of the way would yield an 86-76 record. We would probably be in the second wild card spot. I have the 90 win marker. Get us there and we are in business.

Chez
04-28-2016, 07:20 AM
These are not the White Sox. These are cyborgs.

It's great to be a baseball fan when your team is winning.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2016, 08:05 AM
To give this some perspective: going .500 the rest of the way would yield an 86-76 record. We would probably be in the second wild card spot. I have the 90 win marker. Get us there and we are in business.

When you think about it and how well you have to play to be 10 games over with April not over yet, I go back to the 1984 Tigers who started out 35-5. you can see that happening in the NBA (it has) but in Baseball, 35-5 is almost impossible. You get to 35-5 and you can play .500 the rest of the way and wind up 96-66.

anewman35
04-28-2016, 08:17 AM

Related fact, in half of the games (11 out of 22) they've given up 0 runs or 1 run. You're going to win a lot of games doing that.

Zakath
04-28-2016, 08:21 AM
I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. Clearing out a ****load of deadwood certainly has made an impact. In addition to "unmentionable and son", you can add Samardzija, Dunn, Flowers and Bellisorryass to that list.

You left out the biggest deadwood of all, which was Ramirez, the Ebby Calvin of shortstops.

Cangelosi CF
04-28-2016, 08:32 AM
you left out the biggest deadwood of all, which was ramirez, the ebby calvin of shortstops. lmao!

Brian26
04-28-2016, 08:33 AM
You left out the biggest deadwood of all, which was Ramirez, the Ebby Calvin of shortstops.

Also having a guy like Renteria as a second manager in the dugout to replace Parent seems to be huge.

kobo
04-28-2016, 08:34 AM
It's also the 12th time they have held the opponent to 2 runs or less.

WSox597
04-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Clearing out deadwood and replacing them with MLB talents does the trick. Jackson in CF, moving Eaton to RF solidified the OF.

Frazier, Rollins, and Lawrie took care of the IF. Plus they bring an enthusiasm not seen in UCF for almost 10 years.

Avila and Navarro are so much better than Flowers it's comical.

Good pitching, great defense and timely hitting is the formula of a winning team.

guillensdisciple
04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Speaking of defense: wasn't Lawrie an average to below average defender coming in? He looks great.

ChiSoxGal85
04-28-2016, 09:26 AM

It's not all Robin's fault. This goes right to the top. In fact, hire Greg Walker back so he can be fired again immediately... just to be sure.

:rolling: You all are cracking me up. Everyone is so much funnier when the Sox are winning!

I'm bummed that this the second Danks start in a row for my Thursday TBGR. So much great Sox pitching that I don't get to write about!

voodoochile
04-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Baseball is a game of streaks and we are on a hot one. The bottom of the order has had a lot to do with winning in Toronto along with the dominant pitching. Even Avila getting hurt has turned into a positive as Nivarro has stepped up. Avi has got some important hits also.

Had a thought the other day. Would Albers have felt as free to scream his obscenity laced celebration in the dugout if those unnamed people were still around?

guillensdisciple
04-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Had a thought the other day. Would Albers have felt as free to scream his obscenity laced celebration in the dugout if those unnamed people were still around?

You know the answer is no.

Hitmen77
04-28-2016, 09:44 AM

Anyway. What a series.

That's pretty pathetic isn't it? :rolleyes:

Lip

I saw that, too. This was right after that channel had just aired the Sox game and Sox post-game! Pathetic.

Chez
04-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Speaking of defense: wasn't Lawrie an average to below average defender coming in? He looks great.

That was one of my chief concerns when the season started -- Lawrie's defense at second. He's been far better than I expected.

Hitmen77
04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Alright, so, the Orioles will be a test. Tomorrow is an auto L since Danks is on the mound. Winning this series will be the ultimate show of force. I will take a split, but man will we be flying high if we win this one.

I wouldn't go that far. Sure, the odds won't be in the Sox favor and I'm not expecting much out of Danks. But, I'm not counting the Sox out for tonight.

Hitmen77
04-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Good things happen when a LOT of dead weight is gone.

As a player, you can't wait to get to the ball park when you're winning.
As a fan, I can't wait for them to get there, either.

It appears as if the addition of some new guys and the subtraction of some old ones means the men have reclaimed the clubhouse. They're having fun and it's showing up in the win column.

Agreed. It looks like it was a good sign this spring when some of the new players allegedly stepped up and complained about the ridiculous accommodations LaRoche was getting. It's about time we got some players who are serious about injecting professionalism into the clubhouse.

The change from Alexei to Rollins has had a huge positive impact on this team so far. Gone are the days last year where Alexei sucked the life out of a rally by his poor at bats with RISP and his boneheaded plays on the field.

I don't know if Rollins has enough left in the tank to be productive for the entire season, but so far, so good. Good defense, good heads-up baseball - how refreshing to see.

Also having a guy like Renteria as a second manager in the dugout to replace Parent seems to be huge.

This move must be part of the success so far.

I believe they said last night that this was the first time the Sox have accomplished this since 1973. They also noted that Stone was on that '73 Sox team (in the bullpen).

spawn
04-28-2016, 10:10 AM

No kidding. Also, this team has 6 losses. 6!!!! They should be undefeated. I blame Robin. He needs to be fired immediately! This team can't be taken seriously if he's still managing after a 7th loss.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2016, 10:15 AM

I was so happy when we didn't resign him, Alexei is one of the dumbest ballplayers ever, besides that, he's a loser.

kufram
04-28-2016, 10:26 AM

And I imagine there are many more instances not caught on camera similar to that. It's funny because the celebrations last year were annoying, juvenile, and contrived. They made the team look amateurish in my mind. This year they are still grown men acting like little boys but they are genuine and natural.... oh, and deserved. Eaton is a much more professional looking player and I suspect his part in the fiasco earned him good ticking off and he appears to have learned from it, which is all that one can ask.

#1swisher
04-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Brett Lawrie ‏@blawrie13 (https://twitter.com/blawrie13) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/blawrie13/status/725521935887663104)

It's about the group .. That was a pure fight ...I digggg it...Let's rollll boys
@FlavaFraz21 (https://twitter.com/FlavaFraz21) @jose_quintana24 (https://twitter.com/jose_quintana24) @AvisailGarcia (https://twitter.com/AvisailGarcia)

spawn
04-28-2016, 10:30 AM
I was so happy when we didn't resign him, Alexei is one of the dumbest ballplayers ever, besides that, he's a loser .
See, this always bothers me. If you want to criticize someone because you don't think they are a good ballplayer, or in your mind is a dumb one, fine. However, calling someone a loser that you don't even know personally, crosses the line. Let's not derail this thread over this kind of nonsense.

cws05champ
04-28-2016, 10:55 AM
I don't know if Rollins has enough left in the tank to be productive for the entire season, but so far, so good. Good defense, good heads-up baseball - how refreshing to see.

I think if they keep giving Saladino a couple starts a week to keep Rollins fresh, he may be ok. Saladino is great out there on defense and can add an occasional HR.

fungo bat
04-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Hats off to Rick Hahn for having the guts to go out and get guys like Frazier, Lawrie, Navarro, Latos, Jackson and Rollins.

Smart move putting Eaton in RF.

Hats off to Cooper. Everyone knew the Sox starting 3 would be tough. Five shutouts in April is tremendous. And the bullpen has been outstanding. Good to see they have a variety of reliable arms to march out there: Jones, Duke, Albers, etc.

The Sox swept two very good offensive teams, Texas and Toronto. The pitching staff actually dominated over the last six games.

Robertson appears to be the lock-down closer everyone hoped he would be last year.

Abreu needs to quick chasing those down and away breaking balls and look for that one hittable pitch per at bat. Garcia is starting to square up the ball.

What a difference in the defense! It makes the pitching look that much better when you can turn the routine plays and come up with one or two gems per game.

Getting rid of the $13 million dollar man was addition by subtraction, even if it was his choice. Good riddance.

The Sox haven't gotten off to this good of a start in April in a long time. Their ability to score in the late innings means they are rarely out of a game. Scoring late is also a sign of a good team.

The rest of the AL is slowly but surely realizing this is a team that can not be taken lightly any longer.

TDog
04-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I saw that, too. This was right after that channel had just aired the Sox game and Sox post-game! Pathetic.

Is it? To be fair if they just aired the Sox post-game show, they just reported the game results.

You could argue that the Cubs report was going to be quicker because there was no game so they got both the Cubs and Sox higher up in the broadcast than would have been possible if they had done the Cubs after the Sox coverage.

There also is the possibility that more of their viewers care about what happens to the Cubs, and the ones who don't, on the broadcast, just saw the game and post-game coverage. If the Cubs weren't expected to go anywhere this season, and if Arrieta weren't just coming off of a no-hitter, I would expect something different.

Even at WSI a couple of weeks ago, those of us that believed this was a good team were scorned and labeled unrealistic. I wouldn't consider Comcast story placement a personal insult.

Maximo
04-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Hats off to Rick Hahn for having the guts to go out and get guys like Frazier, Lawrie, Navarro, Latos, Jackson and Rollins.

Smart move putting Eaton in RF.

Hats off to Cooper. Everyone knew the Sox starting 3 would be tough. Five shutouts in April is tremendous. And the bullpen has been outstanding. Good to see they have a variety of reliable arms to march out there: Jones, Duke, Albers, etc.

The Sox swept two very good offensive teams, Texas and Toronto. The pitching staff actually dominated over the last six games.

Robertson appears to be the lock-down closer everyone hoped he would be last year.

Abreu needs to quick chasing those down and away breaking balls and look for that one hittable pitch per at bat. Garcia is starting to square up the ball.

What a difference in the defense! It makes the pitching look that much better when you can turn the routine plays and come up with one or two gems per game.

Getting rid of the $13 million dollar man was addition by subtraction, even if it was his choice. Good riddance.

The Sox haven't gotten off to this good of a start in April in a long time. Their ability to score in the late innings means they are rarely out of a game. Scoring late is also a sign of a good team.

The rest of the AL is slowly but surely realizing this is a team that can not be taken lightly any longer.

They also have two pitchers in Sale and Quintana who are capable of winning every time they take the mound. Successful teams have the ability to avoid long losing streaks and those two guys exemplify the term, "stopper".

slavko
04-28-2016, 12:08 PM
In 2009 Jim Tracy turned the Rockies around from 10 games under early in the season under Clint Hurdle, to almost 30 games over by season's end.with the exact same players. .. It may not have all been Tracy's doing, but the likelihood is that it had a lot to do with it..or at least something to do with it

That is true, and it can't be ignored, even if it contradicts my point. Most likely Hurdle (or something else we don't know about) had things so biffed up that a good team was going through the motions and Tracy managed to turn it around. You would admit that this is the exception and not the rule, however. The usual scenario is a short term bounce from the new guy and then back to the Same Old Same Old.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2016, 12:21 PM
See, this always bothers me. If you want to criticize someone because you don't think they are a good ballplayer, or in your mind is a dumb one, fine. However, calling someone a loser that you don't even know personally, crosses the line. Let's not derail this thread over this kind of nonsense.

Someone else started the Alexei bashing calling him deadwood and some other names, sorry if it bothers you but if Alexei was any good he would still be with us. It's the reason the team is better this year than the last 3, we replaced bad players with good players.

guillensdisciple
04-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Did you guys see the ESPN cy young predictor?

At the moment Sale, Latos, and Quintana are 1,2,3 in that order. Robertson is seventh.

Incredible. It can't possibly continue, but this is stunning. I have never seen such pitching in my life.

Shoeless Joe
04-28-2016, 12:46 PM

At the moment Sale, Latos, and Quintana are 1,2,3 in that order. Robertson is seventh.

Incredible. It can't possibly continue, but this is stunning. I have never seen such pitching in my life.

Honestly, Sale and Quintana on that list is not incredibly surprising since we know what kind of stuff they possess. But Latos was the guy that was getting smoked in ST. How he turned it around to start the season has been one of the best surprises this year. I thought we'd never see a better staff than 2005 but they are looking to surpass them.

captain54
04-28-2016, 12:56 PM

It's been a long time that the Sox are 1) scoring late in ball games 2) have a 3rd basemen and shortstop that are making all the plays 3) have a bullpen that has the ability to not automatically cough up a lead late in the ball game…4) drive in a guy from 3rd with less than two outs…

I seriously can't remember back to when all these things were clicking…with the exception of the 1st half of 2005..

It was only a year ago that the starting defensive infield was Gillespie-Ramirez-Micah Johnson-Abreu…Wow

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2016, 01:04 PM

This is the best pitching I've seen since 1967 when Horlen, Peters and John were IIRC 1,2 and 4 in ERA, that team also had a great bullpen with Wilhelm and Locker.
They couldn't hit worth a damn and still might have won the pennant had they not lost their last 5 games to the 2 worst teams in the AL.
I know it's early but these guys are probably better than 1967 because of the difference in eras. 1967 had the higher mound and the ball wasn't wound as tightly as the current version.

fungo bat
04-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Little Nell,

Don't forget Don McMahon in the pen. He did a real nice job in '67. Those three losses in KC to the young, upstart Athletics and two losses to a woeful Washington Senators team at home knocked the Sox out of the pennant race in the last few days.

As Manager Eddie Stanky said "All season long the elephants were in fear of the mice."

The '67 Sox team couldn't hit a lick. But the pitching and the defense were outstanding all season long.

kufram
04-28-2016, 01:37 PM

I agree. Using personal insults always reflects more the user than the target in my opinion. I think this site is better than that. When posters call players bums and other derogatory terms it just weakens the argument.

I always liked Alexei. But I also was very frustrated at times at how bad his mistakes were. That does not make him a loser or a bum.

This thread is meant to celebrate a win and while acknowledging that we are better off without some players is fair there is no need for or use in revisiting the past here.

Shoeless Joe
04-28-2016, 01:54 PM
This is the best pitching I've seen since 1967 when Horlen, Peters and John were IIRC 1,2 and 4 in ERA, that team also had a great bullpen with Wilhelm and Locker.
They couldn't hit worth a damn and still might have won the pennant had they not lost their last 5 games to the 2 worst teams in the AL.
I know it's early but these guys are probably better than 1967 because of the difference in eras. 1967 had the higher mound and the ball wasn't wound as tightly as the current version.

Great recall on the 1967 staff. Those are incredible numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1967.shtml

wxkid23
04-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Hahn injected exactly what this team needed: attitude

JB98
04-28-2016, 02:17 PM
The Sox have been getting some big two-out hits with RISP lately. In the past few years, it seems like the opposition has always gotten those hits. Right now, Sox pitchers are making the big pitch to get out of jams.

It's refreshing to see different guys contributing, too. Frazier got the big hit Monday, and big RBIs are expected of him. But we also saw a big hit from Navarro last night. Jackson's bat is waking up, and Garcia had a nice series in Toronto after looking miserable on the homestand.

XplodingScorbord
04-28-2016, 04:56 PM
I agree. Using personal insults always reflects more the user than the target in my opinion. I think this site is better than that. When posters call players bums and other derogatory terms it just weakens the argument.

I always liked Alexei. But I also was very frustrated at times at how bad his mistakes were. That does not make him a loser or a bum.

This thread is meant to celebrate a win and while acknowledging that we are better off without some players is fair there is no need for or use in revisiting the past here.

Agree as well. Alexei is a loser in the sense that he's one of the top few-hundred baseball players in the world, in other words, not a loser at all. He was a solid shortstop for us for a long time. He'll always have my gratitude for his time with our club. He had some GREAT moments.

kittle42
04-28-2016, 05:03 PM
News: Robin Ventura deserves credit for the record and success of the team right now.

News: People do not deserved to be maligned for past criticism of Robin Ventura as if the team's record through 22 games somehow erases their complete sub-mediocrity, and his history of poor in-game decisions, for the rest of his tenure prior to 2016.

jdm2662
04-28-2016, 05:52 PM
News: Robin Ventura deserves credit for the record and success of the team right now.

News: People do not deserved to be maligned for past criticism of Robin Ventura as if the team's record through 22 games somehow erases their complete sub-mediocrity, and his history of poor in-game decisions, for the rest of his tenure prior to 2016.

Yes. Can we just enjoy the present and be done with the past already? If there is something that Robin does in a future game that you don't agree with, then fire away. Until then, let's hope the Sox continue this.

spawn
04-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Someone else started the Alexei bashing calling him deadwood and some other names, sorry if it bothers you but if Alexei was any good he would still be with us. It's the reason the team is better this year than the last 3, we replaced bad players with good players.

Again, criticizing his play is fine. Calling the man a loser is making it personal. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

LITTLE NELL
04-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Again, criticizing his play is fine. Calling the man a loser is making it personal. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

I won't say anything else about him but when I say he was a loser it was in the context that he didn't do the little things to win games, if we needed a single to win a game he was swinging for the fences, if he hit to the opposite field it was by mistake. We also all know he was a little skittish around 2nd base. He didn't seem to mature as a ballplayer in his time with the Sox.

TheVulture
04-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Great point. Now that you have kufram have posted numerous paragraphs on the subject all I recall from this thread is that Ramirez is a loser.

voodoochile
04-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I won't say anything else about him but when I say he was a loser it was in the context that he didn't do the little things to win games, if we needed a single to win a game he was swinging for the fences, if he hit to the opposite field it was by mistake. We also all know he was a little skittish around 2nd base. He didn't seem to mature as a ballplayer in his time with the Sox.

FWIW that's how I read your comment. Loser just has other connotations so next time maybe pick a different way of saying, "not a winner".

voodoochile
04-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Great point. Now that you have kufram have posted numerous paragraphs on the subject all I recall from this thread is that Ramirez is a loser.

There's this lovely thing called a scroll bar and even a (gasp) "back button" to go read the rest of it if you need a refresher in what was said...:rolleyes:

kittle42
04-28-2016, 09:17 PM
There's this lovely thing called a scroll bar and even a (gasp) "back button" to go read the rest of it if you need a refresher in what was said...:rolleyes:

He was joking. Thought it was obvious. :tongue::D: