PDA

View Full Version : **** Maggs! Jon's the star today!

doublem23
08-28-2002, 03:27 PM
LOL!

Great game by Jon. If he could figure out how to harnass that, he and Buehrle would be the anchor of a good staff-in-the-making.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Chisox_cali
08-28-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
LOL!

Great game by Jon. If he could figure out how to harnass that, he and Buehrle would be the anchor of a good staff-in-the-making.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Man I was really hoping he could get that 10th K and strike out the side in the 9th, but Oh Well, What a Great Performence by Jon, and If this is the last game of the season, hell of a way to go out!

voodoochile
08-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Well the good news is that the kid pitchers all looked good in their last start of the season, so now KW has an excuse to not sign anyone in the off season.

:KW
"Hey, did you see the way they stepped it up when I told them to? Man, it is great to have this much respect and love from the team. No need to sign any veteran starters now. These kids are definitely all going to win 20 games next year and it won't cost JR a dime."

:reinsy
"Those last few words are music to my ears. Think I'll give myself a raise and wipe out this season's book profits. Can't be giving the union any ammo now can I?"

hold2dibber
08-28-2002, 04:17 PM
The key for Garland is to stay away from walks. His BB/K ratio is pretty bad this year, but when he throws strikes, like he did today (109 pitches, 76 strikes and only 33 balls) he's awfully good. If I have time today, I'm going to look at his quality starts this year and compare them to his poor outings and look at his BB/K numbers for each. I'm betting that there is a pretty strong correlation between a good BB/K ratio and quality performances out of Garland.

I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 22 years old - most of his contemporaries are playing in AA this year, even though it seems like he's been with the Sox for ages. We must have patience with Mr. Garland, because there is still plenty of reason to think he can be a very good pitcher.

Randar68
08-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The key for Garland is to stay away from walks. His BB/K ratio is pretty bad this year, but when he throws strikes, like he did today (109 pitches, 76 strikes and only 33 balls) he's awfully good. If I have time today, I'm going to look at his quality starts this year and compare them to his poor outings and look at his BB/K numbers for each. I'm betting that there is a pretty strong correlation between a good BB/K ratio and quality performances out of Garland.

The key is not K:BB, although it is important. It is BB:IP and GB:FB.

Jon, in most starts, does not have more than 3-5 K's. However, his BB totals greatly fluctuate. Also, in games where he keeps the ball down, he does very well (except maybe on turf) as compared to games where he leaves his fastball and curve up in the zone a lot and gets more fly balls.

voodoochile
08-28-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Jon, in most starts, does not have more than 3-5 K's. However, his BB totals greatly fluctuate. Also, in games where he keeps the ball down, he does very well (except maybe on turf) as compared to games where he leaves his fastball and curve up in the zone a lot and gets more fly balls.

Yeah, he is definitly more of a GB type pitcher. When his pitches are sinking that is when he blows through the lineup. I didn't get to see today's game, how hard was he throwing? 9 K's is a lot for JG, so he must have found a little extra.

hold2dibber
08-28-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

You're absolutely right - I just got overexcited by those 9 Ks today. The thing that has been frustrating to me is that, if I recall correctly, in the minors, he had incredibly good BB:IP numbers. Which suggests to me that he's just not being agressive enough in the majors (i.e., he's not wild, he just doesn't trust his stuff enough to throw it for strikes like he did in the minors).

Randar68
08-28-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

You're absolutely right - I just got overexcited by those 9 Ks today. The thing that has been frustrating to me is that, if I recall correctly, in the minors, he had incredibly good BB:IP numbers. Which suggests to me that he's just not being agressive enough in the majors (i.e., he's not wild, he just doesn't trust his stuff enough to throw it for strikes like he did in the minors).

Major league players wait for him to throw cookie fastballs instead of thinking the slider IS the cookie fastball.