PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf speaks to the team?

balz1472
08-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Due to the fact that I am not in Chicago, rather stuck in Boston watching another "sox" fail, I have to listen to ESPN Radio via the internet and I had heard an interesting comment during the SportsCenter update...

The Duke mentioned that Jerry Reinsdorf pulled aside the team prior to the game to inform them that he is unhappy with thier performances this year and there would be significant change prior to next year. It was also mentioned that he said it as if it would be the last time he would talk to them prior the season next year.

Any opinions on this j*ck*ss' actions this time?

Sell the d*mn team! :whiner:

duke of dorwood
08-28-2002, 02:40 PM
I'm unhappy with that #$%&*( too. Like he cares what anyone thinks.

:sellreinsy

voodoochile
08-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised he said anything. I really don't think he gives a crap about how well the team does so long as he makes money. I am not surprised he won't be talking to them anymore, the negotiations will probably prevent that anyway. From here on out, it will be lawyers talking to lawyers...

Significant changes? Anyone want to bet that means cheaper younger players, though how he can get much cheaper or younger is anyone's guess. He won't ever take the "loss" to sign the players they need to win in the postseason. Only reason they will compete next year is Pohlad is probably going to dump a whole mess of talent to get his budget in line for next season - so the Sox may luck into a division championship if the Tribe doesn't make a major move. The only good thing about having JR own the team is at least he isn't Carl. Man it must suck to be a Twins fan and KNOW FOR A FACT that your owner would rather quit the game than make the necessary moves to field a winner. Barring that, he will just dump salary and the Twins haven't got that much to dump or really any reason to...

:selljerry

duke of dorwood
08-28-2002, 02:49 PM
This team cant compete unless changes translates into the manager and GM-and we know that aint gonna happen. Funny that he'd show up today and spew that crap with all the labor stuff pending. If this story is true, he is a bigger ass than I ever thought he was.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
This team cant compete unless changes translates into the manager and GM-and we know that aint gonna happen. Funny that he'd show up today and spew that crap with all the labor stuff pending. If this story is true, he is a bigger ass than I ever thought he was.

It's funny. Last night during their post-game show, Dave Wills and Bill Melton were talking about what a "nice gesture" it was for Jerry Reinsdorf to address the team before today's game. They thought it was going to be some version of a pep talk and a signal for solidarity between Sox management and Sox players through the labor impasse. Instead, THIS is what he shared with them? Unbelievable.

Jerry Reinsdorf is a spiteful man. He may honestly think he loves baseball, but in fact he hates the sport and hates everybody in the game. He behaves like a spiteful hateful man--and that is all that counts!

I can't wait to hear what Wills has to say after today's game. Let's see if he has the stones to bring up the subject at all.

duke of dorwood
08-28-2002, 03:16 PM
What a nice thing to do in front of all these new, young players like Crede, Harris, Jiminez and others just trying to contribute and fit in. Imagine this jerk including them as part of the blame for this mess.

Foulke You
08-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It's funny. Last night during their post-game show, Dave Wills and Bill Melton were talking about what a "nice gesture" it was for Jerry Reinsdorf to address the team before today's game. They thought it was going to be some version of a pep talk and a signal for solidarity between Sox management and Sox players through the labor impasse. Instead, THIS is what he shared with them? Unbelievable.

Jerry Reinsdorf is a spiteful man. He may honestly think he loves baseball, but in fact he hates the sport and hates everybody in the game. He behaves like a spiteful hateful man--and that is all that counts!

I can't wait to hear what Wills has to say after today's game. Let's see if he has the stones to bring up the subject at all.

I agree 100%. Also, why share this with the team now? Where was this "I'm not happy with this team" speech when we were tanking in July? Haven't "significant changes" already been made? What other changes? Manuel? Frank? KW?

hold2dibber
08-28-2002, 03:27 PM
ESPN's report of the speech is available via the link below. What a friggin' jackass.

Reinsdorf makes an ass of himself. (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=9079568)

doublem23
08-28-2002, 03:28 PM
He said some changes need to made with the Sox.

They start at the top, Reinsy.

What a jamoke.

Jerry_Manuel
08-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I agree 100%. Also, why share this with the team now? Where was this "I'm not happy with this team" speech when we were tanking in July? Haven't "significant changes" already been made? What other changes? Manuel? Frank? KW?

The GM or manager of your team has to be the one lighting the fire if things aren't going well.

Reinsdorf must know for a fact, that the players are leaving on Friday and not coming back for awhile. Otherwise this "speech" could've been given at the end of the year.

Jerry_Manuel
08-28-2002, 03:58 PM
White Sox manager Jerry Manuel was not present for Reinsdorf's address but agreed the team has been a disappointment.

Where the hell was he?

Your boss is talking and your not there?

RedPinStripes
08-28-2002, 03:59 PM
Just like his partner Eddie Einhorn, JR puts his foot in his mouth every time he opens it.

Procol Harum
08-28-2002, 04:08 PM
You can only imagine what the young talents on our team were thinking to themselves during Reinsdorf's gassing....

:walnuts
"Lemme outta here..."

:burly
"Hmmm, dee-dee-dee, Meet me in St. Louis, la, la, la ...."

:maggs
"What other teams have a vending deal with Pepsi?"

:weewillie
"@#$%$! Oakland!! Why didn't they trade for me???"

:crede
"Dear God--Why, oh why didn't I opt for that career in taxidermy? So many years wasted!"

Lip Man 1
08-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Headline in the Tribune web site: "Reinsdorf tells Sox their effort lacking"

Wouldn't you have just LOVED to read:

"Players respond : Your effort lacking for twenty years!"

It's no coincidence that Reinsdorf showed his face two days BEFORE the players are set to go on strike. This appearance (and threat) was just a reminder who is calling the shots for this embattled franchise. (Ironically the guy calling the shots, put the organization in this position in the first place!)

This was a warning to the players if they decide to take a hike Friday.

Of course, Uncle Jerry won't fire his incompetent GM or his inept field manager. They're blameless.

It's the players fault, and the agents, and the fans etc... (It's NEVER the front office's fault!)

This is no differnt then in Spring training, when Kenny Williams made his attack on the media. Yours truly wrote a column on this. You can find it in the WSI archives.

Jerry Reinsdorf is the dumbest, most arrogant, vindictive, egotistical owner in ALL of professional sports. What did Sox fans do to deserve this creep.

Lip

RedPinStripes
08-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Must be part of the Black Sox curse. :(:

WhiteSox = Life
08-29-2002, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

"Dear God--Why, oh why didn't I opt for that career in taxidermy? So many years wasted!"

If only KW had brought up Crede earlier. Since he has that taxidermy background, he could've prepared somebody for mounting earlier in the season. And I think we know who the obvious Choice would've been, too. :D:

voodoochile
08-29-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

If only KW had brought up Crede earlier. Since he has that taxidermy background, he could've prepared somebody for mounting earlier in the season. And I think we know who the obvious Choice would've been, too. :D:

I might choose someone different, but since Daver is the official hunter/assassin of WSI, I would leave the decision up to him...

:reinsy
"What are you looking at me like that for? What's that red dot? Who's that in the shad..."(twang--------->thump)

"I get paid extra for stuffing egotistical bastards, but if we do it right, we can prop him up in his office and no one will know he is missing. Now we just need to take care of the rest of the problems."

:KW :jerry
"Think we'll be leaving now..."

:ohno
"Not soon enough for us..."

Iwritecode
08-29-2002, 02:54 PM
OK, I'm trying really hard to imagine what he could have possibly said during this meeting. Here's my stab at it:

"OK first off, Crede, Harris, Jiminez where have you guys been all season? You guys didn't do ANYTHING the first few months of the season! Magglio, what's this 30 homerun 100 RBI crap? Put some effort into it man! Burly, 17 wins? C'mon, I expected more from you. What's with the rest of this pitching staff anyway? Every time Nardi went out there you guys would groove one right down the middle. Weren't you listening to what he said? Royce, how's that ice cream?"
Obviously this team has problems but there are some players doing everything they can. Others haven't been around long enough to have been part of the problems. They team sucked before they got here. It was pretty classless to do this the day before they are set to strike too. It should have been done months ago or not at all. Jerry needs to take his 6 NBA championships and leave. Cause there is no way he would trade even one of them much less all six of them for one World Series champion.